1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Radio in and on way to Austin, or, why 610am why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CrazyDave, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Here's the deal. I'm missing games... and it irritates me.

Can't search, so if it's come up before, apologies... but...

I travel to Austin on weekends a lot, and not only am I losing the radio signal from 610 at about Columbus, I miss the games on the weekend when I'm there.

I have an iphone, and was thrilled to find "Flycast" and "aolradio" which allow you to stream 610am, but just as the games come on, they cut to some syndicated crapfest (ok, I never listen because I'm pissed that the game isn't on after it starts... all the pregame is on, then "Heyy HEYYYY radio fans, whooOoOOoooOOoeeeelcome to cheeseball radio" right at tipoff).

I'm sure it's an NBA restriction of some sort, but seriously, if I could hear it on the radio in Houston, why shouldn't I be able to hear it on these internet webcast streams? irritating.

Anyway, I digress.

My question is this:

Is there a radio station in Austin that plays rockets games (They are so mav/spur/centric there it is sickening) so that I could at least hear the game as I approach, and enter, the Austin area? What about along the way? What about tv? Don't get me wrong, I've looked/listened over and over again, but AM sucks and not knowing what I'm looking for, I get tired of hearing 1000 versions of norteño and static trying to find it.

And 610, mattj, wex (congrats), somebody there, if you're listening, what the $!#? Can someone do something about this, or is it an impossibility to play these games on the webcast? Can't get the League Pass in my car, ya know, so don't know what the rule is doing except for depriving a fan from hearing his team.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

How about Sirius radio?

A few bucks a month shouldn't be too much for a diehard fan like you that's agonizing over missing games.

Skip fast food twice a month to make up for it if you are on a budget.

3. CrazyDave

are all the games on sirius? How much is it really? How much are the "satellite radio receivers"?

I won't lie... I'm not a big fan of the concept of paying for radio, but I would do it just for the games if the price were right. Let's see, a sirius radio tuner, monthly fee... man. and I'm trying to cut BACK on bills. still, you're right, I'm a fan, and I am missing many games.

Doesn't excuse the fact that since I can get the station the broadcasts the games on my phone, it makes no sense to me why I can't hear the games, but again, I'm sure there's some bull$!@# reason that involves money. Probably league pass and sirius contracts KEEPING me from hearing it.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I just cancelled my membership last month. I was paying about $12 per month I believe. After I cancelled, they called back a few days later and offered it to me for half price so maybe you can bargain with them.

As far as the receiver or whatever, I think you can get the low end plug-in kinds for pretty cheap, maybe $30-40.

I believe they should have all the games. I actually never listened to the Rockets on Sirius because I live in Houston. Somebody else should be able to tell you for sure.

5. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Sirius doesn't carry nba games anymore, but XM does. I know they are the same company but they don't carry them on Sirius anymore. They might have some sports package or something. And I'm not sure they carry 'all' the games, but they do carry most.

6. doEmDirtyLandry

XM plays them. in the 230's after the weather channels.

I live in Austin and this is the option i take when i'm in my car. I haven't really looked for any AM stations, but I'm sure if you did catch any the reception wouldnt be that great. Good luck.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not that they're spurs centric in Austin. It's that Austin is in the Spurs territory as defined by the NBA. The stations are not allowed to carry any other team. 610 is decent during the day here, but it's gone as soon as the sun starts to set.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

U have to get sirius with the best of xm for xtra 4 bucks a month. They have all the nba and nfl games. I've had sirius since birth and its one of the best things in the world next to laying with my with and directv.

9. CrazyDave

Thanks for the input, everyone. Looks like I'll be going against my better judgement and paying for radio but doesn't sound too expensive so for Rox games in clarity it will be worth it.. I guess if I want to SEE the games in Austin, I'd have to get NBA league pass. Anyone know, off hand, what that costs? May just have to go with one of those sirius xm deals that you can take with you and plug in multiple places. Hey, it's only money, right? :rolleyes:

10. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I think after the all-star break they knock down the price to $99.99. Good for the playoff run. Back when I lived in Austin this is what I signed up for via Time Warner.

Edit: looks like you can already get it for $99 bucks just call up your cable provider (assuming you have Time Warner here) and sign up for it via iN DEMAND.

You also get NBA broadband free when you sign up so you can watch games from your computer

"NBA League Pass Broadband

Now included FREE with your subscription to NBA LEAGUE PASS on digital cable. Access your favorite games online with NBA LEAGUE PASS Broadband."

http://www.indemand.com/sports/nba/

11. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

if you have a phone, just get AOL radio and 610 broadcasts on there.

12. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

it is free by the way, you just have to have internet on your phone.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Satellite Radio dude. I have it, its great.
    besides the NBA, you get the NFL and you get basically a cable lineup of news, sports, talk, and lots of music.

plus you get better sound quality.

14. MONON

MONON Member

I wish the Rockets would switch to 740am. I can get it out here in the hill country west of SA.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that's how it was in the late 90's in Austin. certain areas had better reception than others and you could hear Gim and Gene on a clear night...

16. CrazyDave

As you can see in the OP, I have a phone with internet, I have AOLradio, and the games are not broadcast. They cut to "The Sporting News" when the games come on, due to copyright/contract reasons I can only assume. Sucks.

So yes, I know, and yes, I have one, and yes, I have AOLradio, but no, this is not a solution (though when I found it I thought it would be, very disappointing).

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

call me and I'll do the play by play :D

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What is this "with" of yours? I'm very curious.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Typo, wife.

Crazy dave, here is what u can do. If you know someone with sirius, ask them to let u add a receiver. Instead of $13 a month, its $6.50 for the annual subscription plus 50 for activation. Its due at 1 time plus the $4 for the best of xm. So for 1 time you're looking at $190. After that, u will pay 100 for the yr. Its worth it because once you find the channell u want, u will never listen to local radio again. They have this unit called the stilletto and its like a walkman with a hard drive. If u miss part of it, u can rewind plus u can put it in ur pocket with the earbuds and roll out.

Not to undermine anythng, but u can also do that with directv. I have like 12 receivers on my account.

20. CrazyDave

Now we're getting somewhere. I mean, what you're saying here is, I have to pay for a year in advance, whether I leech of someone else's subscription or not. So, paying for a receiver, plus the year in advance, plus the type I'd want (the kind you can take from the car and plug into a radio at home or elsewhere), which I'm guessing the two pieces of hardware would run about $150 total... now we're talking $300 to hear these games, minimum. Hell, in my old seats that's about 9 games. IN PERSON.

Yeah, maybe I wouldn't listen to local radio anymore... oh wait, except for talk radio, I already don't. This is solely to hear rockets games, which, again, are the one thing I CAN'T get from the various webcasts of 610 due to some crap rule.

Guess I'll have to just get the play by play from Voodoo and sportstap, because while I'm a fan, and I want to get the few games that I'm missing, for $300 plus another $150 yearly, I'll just DVR like I have been and be a few days late seeing them. Or even get League Pass and just not see them until I'm out of the car, for much less. I'm sure those that want xm or sirius love it, and what DirectTV has to do with this discussion i have no idea, but really that just seems a bit much to catch every other Friday and Saturday game on the radio.

What a drag. Such a simple thing... so close.