1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket's pushing Hard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketInfoMan, May 24, 2004.

1. ggore

ggore Member

The Phoenix boards think TMac is all theirs - for Marion and draft picks. Their big debate is that they don't think they should add Johnson.

So, since their is competition, we might have to give . . . .

SFrancis and Mobley as the meat of the deal and add role players such as Pike or MoT depending on salary match.

Orlando will want us to take Hill's contract.
    We will want one of their PF (Howard or Gooden) because they are better than what we have.

So,

SF 10
    Cat 5.4
    MoT 7.8
    around 23 mil (then add TE and/or Pike (2.5) or Boki (1.4))
    for
    around 31 mil
    Tmac 13.4
    Hill 13.4
    Gooden 3.0
    Lue 1.5

Orlando gets rid of Hill, a new backcourt, a backup PF and a trade exception.
    We get to improve at SG and PF.

Orlando
    pg - SF
    sg - Cat
    sf - garrity (or Pike/boki)
    pf - Howard, MoT
    C - Okafor
    A team that can win in the East.

Houston:
    pg - Lue, ? [I would go hard for BBarry after this deal]
    sg - TMac
    sf - JJ, (pike/Boki if not dealt), Hill (if healthy enough)
    pf - Gooden(or Howard), Spoon
    c - Yao, Cato

Much better than what we have now (and I like Francis)

2. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

wow.. i will definitely fly from LA to when Orlando comes to Houston to see Steve Francis play for Orlando

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I just dont think that Marion plus draft picks is going to get it done for Orlando. I think the Suns fans are fooling themselves if they think they can get it done for just that. I think Johnson has to be involved in that deal. I am not sure Phoenix is willing to give up Johnson/Marion and draft picks. And they clearly arent giving up Stoudamire.

But I feel more confident that the Rockets are willing to go for broke with Francis/Mobley/Cato for T-Mac whereas the Suns might take a more conservative approach.

In the end it might just come down to what team Tracy wants to play for as the deals might be pretty comperable either way. Would McGrady rather play with Yao Ming or Stoudamire?

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

well i would want to play with Amare because he's such a great passer out of the post.

5. feishen

feishen Member

Hey, has anybody noticed he used "your" team. Talking about loyalty and fair weather fan. :)

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I do not think that is how it is going to work. The four teams that it is said Tracy will play for are the teams that he will presumably sign an extension with. By naming four teams, Tracy is not putting the Magic out in the cold, bur rather giving Orlando more flexibility in what they can recieve in return. Presumably, Tracy is not going to care to go to any one of the four teams it is said that he has chosen; and in which case, it will then be up to the Orlando management to decipher which of the four desired suitors can come up with the best package for the Magic as compensation for Tracy.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

These are the things I see

1. The BEST deal for Orlando . . no matter what
    IS TO GET RID OF HILL'S SALARY
    So I think it is important for them to do that

2. Get someone to put the *sses in the seats

Francis + Mobley +Cato + TE = TMac + Hill +flotsam

IMO
    If HILL is half of his old self . . that is still an average SF

Pg- ???
    Sg - JJ
    Sf - TMac/Hill
    Pf - MoT
    C - Yao

it is not the defensive juggernaut but it is a decent to good lineup

Rocket River
    I'm impressed by Spreewell . . did not notice he was so . . . HIGH ENERGY all the time until the playoffs

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

And Yao can't pass???

You need to watch some tape, dude!

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i think he was being sarcastic.

surely he knows that it took almost 10 games at the start of last season for amare to register his first assist. if he gets the rock inside the arch, hes not passing out, hes going to spin right and throw up a prayer if he doesnt get close enough to dunk.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amare is developing a 10 footer. If and when he can take his game out some with consistency WATCH OUT!

11. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I think McGrady is a very good player and I would want him as a Rocket, but can you imagine if JVG for some reason puts the lid on TMac and he starts having 20 point games, that would suck. The only good reason JVG would put the lid on TMac is because IMO JVG feels better having the center as the primary scorer, he has a history of having the center as his #1 option. He did it in NY and he is doing it here, that's the only thing that worries me about this trade. I would really like for TMac to play for the Rockets i just worry that JVG will go crazy and make TMac the second option on the team.

12. sup123

sup123 Member

i dont think jvg would put the lid on tmac. Remember when jvg was praising kobe for his play. Kobe and tmac are similar so i think jvg would love to have tmac.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it's kind of hard to know what JVG would do...i mean...he hasn't really had a scoring threat like a McGrady before. I'm pretty sure as much as a basketball junky JVG is, he KNOWS that he can't hold TMac's game down because TMac's a scorer, and not a PG..like Francis. I'm pretty sure Tmac will have a lot of free reign because 1. He can score basically at will 2. he makes sound (re: SOUND. not great or good but sound) decisions on the court.

with all that said...i hope JVG wouldn't put the lid on TMac.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if it takes steve, cat, cato, TE to get tmac, hill, lue, + #31 pick i would do it even though i feel its a bit much even for tmac.

i would rather spend the TE on adding more depth.

this offer has to be the most we can possibly give up. im keeping my fingers crossed that we can get the deal done with an offer of:

steve, jj, pike, spoon, cato

keep cat for his defence and scoring, and use the TE to land either swift, chandler, okur, etc. then use the MLE for bb, ward, damon, etc.

we could have:

yao
    okur-mo
    tmac-boki
    cat-
    bb-lue

thats a much better line-up than what we would have with the offer that is being talked about:

yao
    mo-spoon
    tmac-boki
    jj-pike
    lue-#31 pick

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what the hell are you talking about? "you" is basically talking to anyone involved in considering this trade, i.e. CD. this isn't like MemphisX or Nuggets4 saying "your."

i've been watching since the late 80's, so unless you go back further (and even if you do) don't bring up loyalty.

16. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

There is no way JVG is going to put a lid on T-Mac like he did SF3. For one thing, SF3 is a PG which means his job is to distribute the ball and get the team into the offense (1st) and then score (2nd). T-Mac is a scorer and a SG which means his job is score (1st) and get others involved (2nd).

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Look at all the High Hopes we have....

dont think it will happen, but hey, wouldnt it be great.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm sure JVG would love to have T-Mac and I hope that he wouldn't put the lid on him. But he might not do it on purpose.

JVG didn't take put the lid on SF purposely, and it didn't help that SF couldn't shoot, but the way JVG preached D and his coaching style does shave off a lot of points.

IF we get tmac and JVG does put the lid on him, would tmac stay? It would be obvious that JVG would be gone, oh wait, I think Rudy's looking for a job. :)

19. sup123

sup123 Member

bingo....another reason why i would also think jvg wouldnt put the lid on tmac.

20. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

How long has it been since weve heard from DocRocket or Oeilpere? I wish they could say something about this or at least confirm some of the things weve been hearing.