1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Press Conference 11am

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

auto-response. he absolutely has to say that--he doesn't have to mean it.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

DD asked if Morey is on the hot-seat. I think the answer to that question is a resounding YES

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Just pure speculation.

But he is probably pissed because some players told him that they had confidence in McHale in the future and now they bailed on McHale.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

i didnt get that from the interview. it's JB's job to lose. that should be evident from the beginning

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Les will fire until they get their defense right. Im happy...they will get a defensive minded coach if need be...For now JB...all eyes are on you. Get them to play defense the right way...scrap all of Mchale's BS...and start from scratch.

Then go from there.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey:

McHale did great things for the team and City of Houston.

This was very tough. We believe in this team and the players we have. We know this team can win. We aren't in a good place. We had to make, we're gonna make changes until we win. We had to make the tough call. What was the best thing to get our season on track. Bickerstaff is the best person to lead us out of where we're at. We owe it to everyone, city, the players, to do what it takes to win. I'm confident we can turn this around.

J.B. is interim coach. We believe in J.B.

We believe in this team. We're not in a good place. We're losing by double digits to teams we need to beat if we're even gonna make the playoffs.

The team was not responding to Kevin McHale. We had to make a tough call and had to make it soon. There is not time in the west to wait for a turnaround. There is not time in the West. We had to make the choice now.

We met this morning. I informed him. I'll always be thankful to him for the time we had together. Unbelievable person and coach. Tough meeting. He saw the issues. He understands the decision. We wish him the best and hope he feels the same.

Indicators they weren't responding?

Watch our team play. It's not that difficult. If you're coming off a WCF run and mostly the same group, it was not working. We will change until it's working. We win at the Rockets. Les and I and the players don't accept losing. 5th most winning franchise since Les owned the team, WCF 4 times. We don't lose. We'll do whatever it takes to win.

Why tune out a coach now after last year's run?

They weren't responding. J.B. is someone they'll respond to.

We just have to win. You need stars in the NBA to win.

Coaching them different?

We need everyone to respond. It's not about stars. The team wasn't responding.

Everyone knows they need to look in the mirror. I need to look in the mirror. Every player and coach needs to do that. What can each of us do better? It's sports. It's not all about, we think this is the best decision but it's not just the head coach.

Concerned about James?

No. We're building around James and Dwight and can win with them. Not concerned about them.

J.B. is a great leader, ready for this opportunity his whole life. I think the team responds to him. He has a good plan to lead us out of where we are.

We don't accept losing. We haven't lost since I've been here. We have bigger aspirations. This group is a championship contender and aren't playing like one. We can turn this around.

Tough decision for all of us. Players love Kevin McHale, obviously some shock. They believe in the plan going forward. This is all about the players. You don't win without players playing well and playing hard. Players on the floor, step one is them turning it around.

Les will do whatever it takes. This is very tough. Les is appreciative of Kevin McHale. Money never enters the decision for Les.

We have to turn it around. The west does not give you time. Once I felt like it was the right decision, we made it.

(Other 4-7 start under McHale) Two things: One is we know this team can win at a high level. That team was being put together. 2nd, it's not just losing or 4-7, it's the way we're losing, by how much, by the way the team is responding.

3 people like this.
  7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

That's it in a nutshell right there. The rockets are getting their butts kicked when they lose to inferior teams and bottom line that's all about coaching IMO.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

He looked stunned. Never really seen him like that before.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What's wrong with this team is its players.

It isn't the coach. You shouldn't have to have a coach fired to play hard.

Borderline pathetic.

I have lost interest in Harden. More of a fan of guys like Howard and Ariza who give a damn.

Harden is still immature.

1 person likes this.
  10. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Need a real coach.. wouldnt mind giving ettore messina a chance after the season is over.

11. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Nah, he dodged the question. His vocal tonality and delivery as he said it told me enough.

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

13. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It won't be JB. This roster screams "win now"...they won't put that in the hands of a rookie HC. Morey knows he has to get a big name to coach this roster.

C'mon Thibs. I really want it to be him.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

James Harden is next if he still wants to be a lazy ass, heatless quitter.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Morey was clearly shaken by having to make this move. It's not just replacing a coach with the best winning percentage in Rockets history, and so early in the season, not long after McHale had been extended and the Rockets made the WC Finals, it's not just the margins we've been losing by, or the awful teams that were beating us. I think Morey genuinely thinks the world of Kevin McHale the man. This was a tough call by Daryl. I'm glad I don't have his job.

1 person likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey basically saying players were effectively on strike against McHale and he did not want to fire him, but they had all the leverage.

17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Guess this explains why he's been quiet. Damn get it together morey. Must watch game tonight.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

He looked extremely stressed out.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree about the defense 100%. One other major key for Bickerstaff IMO is to find a way to make Ty Lawson more of threat offensively and take the reins a bit more with the ball. I'm exhausted of the Harden ISO ball and I want to see more ball movement.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey said the power of the West gave him no choice. He said it was a hard decision. Money was not a factor with McHale having $12 mil left.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/667029175300067328">November 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>