1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets players and their trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 21, 2021.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not movable
    John Wall: He's 40+ million for an oft-injured (currently injured!) player with a low upside. Hard for any team to fit his salary even if they wanted him, but hard to imagine a team WANTING him. I don't believe you can realistically move him.
    Edit: John Wall will be on the books for just shy of $50million dollars TWO YEARS from now in 2022-23 (unless he's an idiot and opts out). I think there is a higher chance of a buyout for him that year than any trade.

Moveable, but negative value (cost you picks to move)
    Eric Gordon: Could play himself into being a neutral asset or 2nd round picks. Salary is a problem. I think it's possible he plays well enough to be turned into smaller contracts for little cost.

Moveable, in high demand
    Christian Wood: Obvious. Young, playing great, high upside, reasonable contract. Rockets not interested in moving but he'd net the highest return.
    Ja'sean Tate: Young, playing well, very good contract, role player. Contenders would definitely be all over him.

Moveable, in demand
    Victor Oladipo: He's not as valuable as Wood and not as many teams would trade for him as Tate, but he's definitely a desirable player for a contender. The return is lessened by his impending FA and max status demands, but you should definitely be able to get FRP or young assets for him.

Moveable, hope for a first round pick
    PJ Tucker: His value is tough to gauge. Hasn't played that well but is well respected. Hopefully that is enough (like a Kyle Korver style deal) for a team to give you value for him.
    Danuel House: IF he comes back and plays well consistently, he's still on a team friendly deal with a lot of upside. Contenders and young teams alike should see value. Solid shooting, defense, playmaking from a role playing 3 that is under 30? If he's right, teams should value him pretty pretty nicely.

Moveable, probably only for second round picks
    Ben McLemore: Someone would definitely trade for him. Return is dependent on his shooting. I have slim hopes he could bring back a late FRP from a contender. He's a Klutch client and a FA after the year.
    David Nwaba: FA after the year. Useful piece to a contender as a defensive/energy sparkplug off the bench
    Sterling Brown: FA after the year Useful piece to a contender. Can defend, shoot a little, handle a little.

No value on the trade market
    Kuruks: Small chance he plays and earns status as being worth a 2nd round pick
    Boogie Cousins: Most likely player on the roster right now to be cut. Non guaranteed contract.
    Chris Clemons: Not much to say about his situation.
    Dante Exum: There's a slim chance he comes back and plays and is useful enough to get moved for a 2nd round pick

Rockets should be trying to get future assets for as many of the players above as possible.

#1 justtxyank, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Could we get Westbrook and a 1st for Wall?

luckyman76, gatsby, IvanLCPM and 11 others like this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t see the falloff on PJ that others have. He’s hitting 44% from 3 and still playing good D.

I think a contender gives us a 2021 1st at the deadline, or maybe a prospect who’s star has fallen a little.

luckyman76, IvanLCPM, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  4. justtxyank

Ha!

But no.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know you're joking but Westbrook has been so bad they might actually consider that. I'd add that the Pistons might do Blake + a 1st for Wall. BG has been that bad thus far.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No value on the trade market
    "Chris Clemons: Not much to say about his situation."

Wrong.

- Daryl Morey.

7. justtxyank

Griffin has only 1 year after this. I honestly would probably trade Wall for Griffin for no comp just to get 1 year less on the deal. Would also save Tilman $6 million in salary next year!

8. justtxyank

John Wall will be on the books for nearly $50 million TWO YEARS from now.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Don't forget Exum is an expiring at $9+ mil and could potentially help as an adder salary in a deal or for a team looking to get under the tax by shedding a larger expiring while giving up an asset.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

CP couldn't be traded. Westbrook couldn't be traded. Wall now? I'll believe it in 3 years when he's still a Houston Rocket.

We know it's coming. The Harden situation was hurting the team and now the lack of identity and direction is hurting the team. They've got options and pieces and none of it really all fits together. They've got to pick a direction at some point, honestly as a viewer the sooner the better but I get it. Oladipo, Wall, Gordon, Tucker, House...the chances any of them are a Rocket even to the end of this year seem slimmer than Christian Wood at the 5.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yeah, there is no way Pistons take back Wall unless we use a pick or two and even then they have Derrick Rose. If Wall can return some health and play pretty well it may not be a terrible decision for the Pistons especially if they traded Rose at the deadline for picks, young players, etc. Still think that last year at $50 mil is an absolute killer.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

There was talk about the TWolves being interested in PJ. If they offer a first, I'd jump all over that before they change their minds. They have a 1-3 protected swap with GS for 2021, but own all their FRPs after that.

I love PJ's heart and hustle, and I'm sure his leadership would be missed, but we're not going to be able to re-sign him for a reasonable rate. Considering that his pts/rbs/3pt production is at a near career low, I wouldn't think twice about nabbing a FRP for him.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No need to shout the years into our ears....thx.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Let's move all pieces and replace them with vipers. You have to keep people.

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Bulls could eat his contract if you attach enough picks. What if the rockets use the nets picks to move Wall to the Bulls? This gives houston a clean slate. There all high first round picks anyways.

16. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Where's Oladipo in your evaluation?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol. Exum definitely has value if a team wants to dump salary. $9 mil would do wonders for a team looking to rebuild. Just send over your 2 year player with a first rounder.

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He probably non existant in reality, just plays out his contract and bails. Of course he could get moved. He aint gonna stick around here for a rebuild.

I think Dipo comes in play for a team looking to sign somebody this offseason.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd do that in a heartbeat but Detroit wouldn't. The only 1st we'd get from them would be heavily protected and eventually convert to 2 2nds

fattz and D-rock like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you wrote all that and left out Oladipo :confused:

D-rock, Nook, MarioKissoDeath and 6 others like this.