1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG to be solved soon (CLARIFIED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 8, 2004.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Cat?????

Who let that hairball back in here??????

Good info on DJ Cat...and welcome back.

DD

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

look back for a post from Mattj....that appears to be Matt Jackson from 610 AM SportsRadio in Houston(who is supposed to be who said what this thread is about)...

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I edited the original post in the thread. I also changed the end of the thread title from "UPDATED" to "CLARIFIED" in case this confused anyone.

4. Sane

Sane Member

Boozer's contract is front-loaded. Meaning, he makes a lot of money in the first year.

It's the same tactic that the Heat used to scare off the Clippers.

If the Jazz can get our TE, it won't clear up their problem, but it will get most of their work done. If they get their hands on our TE, then they can just send a small contract to the Clippers, Nuggets or Hawks to get this done.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is what I've been saying for awhile. Everyone wants to be in love with Barry, but Damon is steady and when given time has produced. He's from Galveston and given a shot to play 30 mins a night, he'll probably give you 11 and 7 with about 1.5 to a game. He'll be 28 in August so a 4yr deal at about 3.5 per and he can be had. Then the Rockets have another guy on Lue who can come off the bench and change the pace and still not to the ball. After the season is over and lue is a fa, hopefully gaines can work himself into the role and play minutes there. In 4 yrs and maybe Gaines keeps improving, he'll still only be 27 with a 29yr old McGrady and 27 yr old Ming. Its all about playing well now and building for later. 4 yrs from now, barry will be 36.

6. Sane

Sane Member

leebigez,

Who was the last PG in history to give a team 7 and 1.5 over an entire season? 14 and 3?

Jason Kidd needs almost 4 TO's to produce his 10 assists. Marbury needs 3 to produce 9.

I think the only person who can actually give you 14 and 3 over an entire season is Stockton in his prime.

If there is someone who can give you 7 and 1.5 for a whole season, he would be right there in the history books with Stockton, not looking for his next contract.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Nick or Troy Hudson. I don't know about Jones. How many times have the Rockets locked up a guy after one good year (Matt Maloney), got burned and people ripped management for locking up an unknown commodity?

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sane, it won't always work that way, on the Bucks Jones wasn't counted on to make plays all he was counted on was to make the pass, that's why his turnover numbers are low. Jason Kidd and Marbury are counted on the make the plays and the pass, that's why they'll always have high turnover numbers. John Stockton was the same way, all he had to do was make the correct pass, Magic Johnson had to make plays and he was always among the league leaders in turnovers.

With all that said, Jones would be a great addition here because all he'll have to do is make the correct pass since Yao and Tracy will make the plays. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rocket uniform...

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Welcome back Le Cat

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Who said anything about 14 ast and 3 to's? I deal in reality, not fictious 48 mins sims. If look at Damon Jones, the numbers dont lie no matter who you say is playing with him.

Post All Star:
    31 games: 27.6 mins: 43.7fg,43 3pt,8.3 ppg,7.5 asst,1.6 to

How can you argue about how many points the bucks avg and all this other stuff? Numbers don't lie

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

damon would sign here in a second. at least thats what he told me when i met him, and that was when we had steve. now if we ask him to be our starter...his reaction would be ":D yes ma'am!"

he is a great shooter.

he has a great ast/to ratio.

he is a defensive liability, but so was steve. we were still a top 3 defensive team in the league last year.

12. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

brent barry is too old...DJ would be a better choice and cheaper

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cat, glad you're back. I thought of you whenever there was a Taylor dustup here. :)
    I'd like to have Jones, but for 2 years and cheap. If he pans out, great and we reward him. That's if we can't get someone clearly better.

14. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

It seems Brent Barry is not coming to the Rockets! :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1837273

Unrestricted free agent guard Brent Barry will sign a four-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for between $22 and $24 million, a source told ESPN's David Aldridge.

The 32-year-old Barry chose the Spurs over a four-year offer for the full mid-level exception from the Portland Trail Blazers, in part because he thought the Spurs were closer to contending for a championship. Barry also turned down a three-year offer worth $18 million from his former team, the Seattle Sonics, wanting a four-year offer.

Barry's signing completes a strong 48-hour period for the Spurs; they agreed to terms on Thursday with guard Manu Ginobili. The Spurs will now have a three-guard rotation of Tony Parker, Ginobili and Barry, who can play both guard positions.

The Spurs are now expected to complete their offseason spending by re-signing forward Bruce Bowen, who opted out of the last year of his contract. Bowen is expected to receive a three-year deal from San Antonio worth $9 million.

Now that the Sonics have lost Barry, discussions they were having with the Rockets about trading guard Antonio Daniels for draft picks probably will end as well.

Now that the Sonics have lost Barry, discussions they were having with the Rockets about trading guard Antonio Daniels for draft picks probably will end as well.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

darn you, AAKHAN! :mad: j/k. :D bearer of bad news. actually good news. the rumored contract the rox were offering was too much.

if surfer boy wants to come off the bench in san antonio... laterz. :rolleyes:

16. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

OK, this thread is all about what Matt Jackson said, right? So, it'll be one of five guys: Barry, Fisher, Hudson, Van Exel, or Snow?

Barry: signed with SA - DAGNABBI*T

Fisher: talking with Rudy, who wants him to stay.

Hudson: MadMax again ... good threes, but really a SG. Injured last year, replaced by Sam Cassell. MIN offered him 5 years at 18 mil, 23 mil with incentives. Will take the whole MLE, probably. He doesn't have Barry's passing or leadership skills, but he's younger, a 7 year veteran.

Van Exel: He's the better PG, but primarily a shooter, not passer, but only if we traded bad contracts, IMO, so when his contract is up in 2 years, the salary comes off the books, and if he wants to stay, sign for cheap. This would not be a good use of the TE, unless a small part of it. Lets say, Taylor and Pike, or Spoon, Pike, Griffin, and TE.

Snow: say no to snow ... I like that ... 30, has 5 years on his contract of around 4-5 mil/yr, no 3 point shot, not really a passer, but good defender, fast break, dependable with the ball, get's to others quick, plays with heart. He's someone that JVG has said he likes. I guess, if we traded Spoon, he might be OK, but not the TE. Now why do I get a bad feeling, this is who's coming?

#116 Sherlock, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  17. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

hmmm what kind of swear word is that?

18. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Van Excel + TMac :eek:

19. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I will do MoT+Pike for NVE, and choose to waive him next year using team option. And we look for a pg next year.

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

Rose's career high of 44 points came vs. the Rockets in 2002.
    He shot 18 of 34 from the field including the questionable game winning shot at the buzzer, while grabbing 11 boards and dishing 6 assists and playing in 56 of 58 minutes of the double overtime game.

He has only missed 38 games in 10 pro seasons.

For his career he is a solid 80% free throw shooter and 44% from the field.

Unlike Yao and T-Mac he has actually won a playoff series and he averaged 23 points per game vs the Lakers in the 2000 Finals.

Off the court he does a lot for charity in the community and has never been in trouble with the law.

Yeah his contract is big but I think it ends the same year as Yao's does?

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there as it seems our options are dwindling right now.