1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG to be solved soon (CLARIFIED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 8, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

rose did avg. 5 apg last year not much less than Barry. His career-high for Assists in a single game is 20, which is more than Gary Payton, Steve Francis, Baron Davis or Eric Snow.

i don't think we need a real PG anyway
    just someone tall enough to make a soild entry pass to Yao and who can score off double teams.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would take either Snow or Barry, despite the contracts and the ages involved.

Snow is the purer point guard, but Barry and T-Mac and JJ can all instigate the offense. I think for JVG if we have players who understand ball movement (i.e., no Steve/Moochie dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble...), and who don't turn the ball over, well, that'll be most of the battle.

Barry can hit that 3 very well, and that's why I think he's the leading candidate. Snow can't hit it, and Fisher is OK but not great. Obviously with an inside-out game developing with our team, that 3 point shooter will be all the more important.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I posted this in a different thread last night, but after Ford went down in late February, the last two months of the season were a good measuring stick. He started all the games (including the playoffs) and averaged 7.7 assists and only about 1.7 turnovers in almost 30 minutes a night. His three-point percentage remained steady at over 47 percent, and his field goal percentage about 46. He was the spark plug off the bench, which led to him taking a lot of threes, but they also trusted him to slow the tempo and settle the team down in games where Ford got a little wild.

In the playoffs, his assists stayed about the same (between 7 and 8) but his turnovers actually went down to just 1.1 against a terrific Detroit defense. Three-point percentage stayed at 47.

His minutes, though, were mostly significant even before TJ went down. Because Ford was a rookie, the Bucks went with Jones in the fourth quarter of a lot of games where they didn't trust a first-year player. He played over 20 minutes a night even when Ford was healthy, and proved capable as a starter in the months after Ford was injured. He's a pretty undervalued FA in this year's market.

btw, if anyone wants to see his month by month stats, click on the "game log" section of his ESPN profile. That'll give you a more in-depth look at his progression throughout the season. For reference, Ford got hurt in the February 24 game against the Wolves... every game after that was a Jones start.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Eric Snow's contract would bury the Rockets. Five more years. Hell, that's longer than MT's contract, or even Spoons.

5. Mattj

Mattj Member

I appreciate it when you guys listen....but I can confirm that I did not say the Rockets will have something done by the weekend...I wish I had that type of power to see the future...All I can tell you is the Rockets will get one of their guys...Barry, Fisher, Hudson, Van Exel, or Snow....one of those guys will be a Rocket, unless this club has extrordinary bad luck....

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Van Exel too eh? I didnt think the Rocks were actually serious about considering this......thanks :cool:

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Errrrr... Okay, I assume that's the real Matt Jackson otherwise Clutch would have ran his ass already.

Anyway, the last two mentioned by Matt - NVE & Snow - could only get here by trade.

Is the TE straight-up enough to get another player or would we have to throw in a Mo-T, etc. to make it happen?

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i agree with the idea of throwing a 4/15 mil contract at Damon Jones. I just wonder if the Bucks would match.

And if Damon Jones isn't starter material, we'll just have a pretty good back up and just go back to the FA market next year.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

if all else fails than can always pick up charlie ward for the minimum. cleveland is an interesting prospect at the moment right now. they're interested in signing bob sura and if they want to keep boozer they'll need cap space. so they might need to offload some players including mcinnis.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Great post The Cat. Looks like DJ would be a great fallback option if Barry and Fisher end up elsewhere.

11. Manuel Romney

Manuel Romney Contributing Member

The Cat, why does it say under your name that you're a "Contributing Member on Crack":confused:

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You shouldn't ask such personal questions.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

BTW The Cat, when did you "get back" to all the non-fantasy forums? This is the first time I've seen you in quite awhile...

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

GATER, if CLE is 4 mil under the cap, why is our 6.99 TE not enough to help CLE match the Jazz offer to Boozer? What are the numbers?

#94 Sherlock, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  15. Q

Q Contributing Member

Is it something like you can't have a TE and be under the cap?
    TE can only be used if over the cap, isn't that right....?

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

You can't combine exceptions. You also can't combine an exception with cap space.

Evan

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I obviously am not an expert on this subject, as AElliott, Gater and NIKEstrad. But, can't CLE renounce the TE, which functionally gives them up to 6.99 mil of whatever the amount of the outgoing salaries under the cap?

#97 Sherlock, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo. We have a winner. Exceptions can be renounced, and when you're under the cap, that's known as capspace.

The questions are:

1.) What is Boozer's first year salary? Reports are that the Jazz are giving it a higher base salary with fewer raises to make it harder on Cleveland. The bonuses are spread over the contract cap-wise, so assuming Cleveland is willing to pay them, they don't really matter. Boozer's max can be up to 25% of the salary cap- with a 46 million dollar cap, that amounts to 11.5 million, which brings us to...

2.) What is the salary cap? No exact figure has really been sent about. The higher the cap, the more room Cleveland has, and the more $$ Boozer's year 1 contract can be.

We generally know Cleveland has 43.2mill committed. They may have to clear up to 8.7 mill to be able to keep Boozer.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Barry (and his agent) are doing the normal FA thing... planting stories in every potential NBA city that makes it sound like he is poised to sign with that team. Regardless of (1) that team has any real interest or ability to sign the guy and (2) whether that team's situation realistically could support that player. First HOU, then SAN, now POR... what city next?

20. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

What is the UPDATE! I still can't find what has been updated in this thread.