1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG to be solved soon (CLARIFIED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 8, 2004.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

If Barry is still looking at other teams at this stage, does that mean he’s not the point guard Matt Jackson expects the Rockets to sign by this weekend?

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting Blazer article on Barry. Clearly it looks like the Blazers are in the Brent Barry derby. But again, with Stoudamire and Anderson on the roster Barry would be coming off the bench, (at least this season). And the Blazers are a long way off from contending.

Houston clearly is the better choice, stating PG spot open and a chance at a title.

I think ultimately it will come down to money, no surprise. Which team will offer Barry the best contract. I think the Blazers would be willing to offer 4 years. The Rockets might as well.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Overspend? The BIG and over done contract we have offered Barry of couse isnt over "spent" right? We should have made a move for this guy and we didnt, i stil think its a big mistake. & even if the jazz matched the offer whocares, its just less money for them to spend in the market.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The problem there is that Arroyo is a RESTRICTED FA. The Jazz could wait up to 15 days to match the offer. And then during those 15 days we couldnt offer up our MLE to someone else. We would lose 15 days in the FA derby. The Rockets didnt want to risk that for a player that was most likely going to be matched by a team that has boat loads of money to spend. It would be lunacy!

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

If they were to offer him a contract the Jazz have something like 15 days to match the offer. And of course as every team does, they would drag it out until the last possible moment. That would leave us in a bad spot. We couldn't go after anyone else because that situation would have been up in the air.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Fair enough :)

8. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Something i didn't know till 5 mins ago, after checkign some stats from last year: Damon Jones was 2nd in Assist/TO ratio and Jeff McInnis was 5th, pretty impressive. Also, DJ shot 36% from 3pt land, not bad.
    I think the Damon Jones idea is really growing on me.

9. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Tmac/Yao will make him even better.

At 28, he's also much younger than barry.

Bring him for 4 years 15 million.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ummm....no. Have you watched Arroyo play or seen his stats. Berry has more assists, more steals, more blocks, more rebounds and for the better part of his career, more points on average.

Barry's only been a point guard for two years, and not in nearly as good of a system for a PG to suceed in, and he's already shown, to me, that he is better than Arroyo.

Plus, he can fill in at the two and has 4 inches and 10 lbs. on Arroyo. I mean, if people are complaining about Barry's lack of one-on-one defense, Arroyo is even worse.

Look, Arroyo will put up decent numbers over the life of his contract...but more because of who he plays for than how he plays. He is a system player and needs the Jazz system to thrive.

If the Rockets don't get Barry, there are other fish in the sea I'd rather have ahead of Arroyo any day of the week.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

DJ averaged about 6 assists/game in about 25 mins/game. How much of that was garbage minutes, how much significant minutes? How was he used?

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, going by the fact that Milwaukee played well all year, and TJ Ford went down during the season, making DJ the starting pg for them, I figure he played a lot of meaningful minutes, and even in garbage time 6 assists would be tremendous, especially with an assist/to ratio of about 4.5/1.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I say sign a stop gap player and let him handle it with Lue, then next year go for Earl Watson, who should be an FA, or somebody else. No sense getting locked into a long term contract on leftovers. It's not like they're going to win it all next year anyway.

14. Htown4life

Htown4life Contributing Member

Perhaps Eric Snow in a trade, who knows. All I know is JVG wants a true point guard to pass, dribble, and not a shoot first player. Barry has a great shot, so settling for him would be ok, but do we really want him for that much and that long? I don't think the rockets do. We shall see

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I cant arrgue w/ thoughs stats BUT i can say this, last season was Arroyo's FIRST time to acctuly get som playing time & he blossemed into a great pg in only his first year. Barry however has been around for 12 years & all his stats are just slightly higher than Arroyo's. What im getting at is Arroyo has many years and time for improvment where Barry dosn't. BUT none of this realy matters becuase he plays for the jazz now :mad:

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Eric Snow has a longer contract than what we would offer to BB.

I like the idea though.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

With Toronto signing Rafer Alston and still having Alvin Williams for 4 more years, how about we trade Taylor + TE for Jalen Rose?

A Rose/McGrady backcourt would be the tallest ever.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Rose, T-MAC backcourt?.... who's gonna play the Point?

19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

rose and mcgrady would be a lot of egos go around. jalen rose is overrated player imho. he needs like 30 shots to get 20 pts.

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Same here, I'v never been a BIG fan of his... What we need is a true point.