1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG to be solved soon (CLARIFIED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 8, 2004.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

Ya, I don't get this either, but I guess he thinks his Championship chances are better in SA.

2. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Is Barry a Good Shooter???

b/c if so, then I think Sane is right. JVG has made repeated remarks on how he'd like to surround Yao with better catch-and-shoot type of shooters. The age issue will become more concerning on the defensive end as younger quicker guards emerge but if Barry can shoot, and more importantly, pass, then maybe he IS the chosen man for the 1.

:p

theSAGE

3. Nero

Nero Member

Not like it matters, but of the teams mentioned a possible places for BARRY (not Berry) to end up, for which of those teams did his FATHER play?

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

They supposedly hate their father.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Rockets, Sonics and Lakers are all over the cap. Why is a TE only valuable to Houston? To my knowledge, neither Barry nor Fisher has been renounced therefore they are still on the books of their respective teams. The Sonics and Lakers have Bird Rights on Barry and Fisher and they hit their teams' cap until renounced. Since the Sonics and Lakers are over the cap, they could technically use the Bird Rights to Barry or Fisher to re-sign them. It would have been pointless to renounce them as you would lose Bird Rights to re-sign or SnT.

Regarding CLE freeing up money for Boozer. Clearing our TE value of $6.99m off of their books is not enough to make up the difference in the Jazz's offer to Boozer. They would have to send us Battie and Pavlovic and trade a player making more than the Rocket they receive under the assigned player exception (McInnis' $3.6m for Piatkowski's $2.7m) for our TE to help then retain Boozer.

And to combine the two, either SEA or LA could "help" CLE clear cap space for Boozer if they had a sizeable TE.

#45 GATER, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  6. Sane

Sane Member

He played for the Rockets right?

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guys, it's Barry.

It always has been. It will be full MCE for 4 years. What he asked for.

Then we can go to war.

Yao
    Howard
    Tmac
    JJ
    Barry

Bench -

big Z
    Spoon / 1.7 mil FA or vet min player
    Boki
    Gaines
    Lue

deep bench -

K. Brown
    D.Wags

IR -

Collie
    Tmo
    Scales
    whatever

later - trade big Z's expiring deal to a team with crazy payroll that needs some room to re-sign it's guys or just get payroll down. Net back a power forward, backup center, or other new assets. :) Some candidates - here's the top payrolls last year from Patricia's site :

1. New York Knicks $89,444,816
    2. Portland Trailblazers $82,905,616
    3. Dallas Mavericks $78,286,720
    4. Minnesota Timberwolves $70,589,120
    5. Sacramento Kings $67,991,504
    6. Phoenix Suns $66,550,452
    7. Atlanta Hawks $64,372,340
    8. Los Angeles Lakers $63,360,448
    9. New Jersey Nets $63,273,120
    10. Toronto Raptors $63,033,248
    11. Philadelphia 76ers $60,411,084
    12. Boston Celtics $60,185,916
    13. Indiana Pacers $57,774,920
    14. Memphis Grizzlies $57,378,320
    15. Houston Rockets $55,401,432

I think the Knicks would jump at the chance to get 14 mil in cap relief. Portland too. Dallas is screwy, but Minnesota can't keep that payroll for ever. etc. There's some nice pieces to get.

#47 pasox2, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'm still pulling for the Rockets to go after some lesser known point guards, Damon Jones or Bob Sura. Hopefully the Rockets do not let these other teams sway them into giving a ridiculous contract to a "big name" point guard (Barry, Fisher).

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Can someone comment on the 14 day restricted period - which ends on the 14th?

Doesn't that mean if its this weekend it HAS to be a trade???

10. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like that line up... but for the life of me can not place who "Big Z" is. Big Z? :confused:

11. Sane

Sane Member

You can't trade or sign FA's during this period.

An AGREEMENT will be reached this weekend. The actual signing will be on the 14th if the agreement is reached before then.

12. pasox2

Supporting Member

Big Z is :

Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    [​IMG] 2003-04 Statistics
    REBOUNDS PER GAME
    TEAM G GS MPG FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A
    CLE 81 81 31.3 466-965 .483 2-7 .286 303-406

FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    .746 3.40 4.60 8.10 1.3 .48 2.48 2.01 3.40 15.3

2003-04
    Statistics
    PPG 15.3
    RPG 8.10
    APG 1.3
    EFF + 18.20
    Position: C
    Born: 06/05/75
    Height: 7-3 / 2,21
    Weight: 260 lbs. / 117,9 kg.

Sometimes, we could run out a lineup with

Z - 7'3"
    Yao - 7'6"
    Tmo - 6'10"
    Tmac-6'8"
    Barry-6'6"

:)

13. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Decisions, decisions

Brent Barry has attracted interest from many teams, including Portland

By KERRY EGGERS Issue date: Fri, Jul 9, 2004
    The Tribune

Brent Barry has health issues and, at 32, is no longer the high-riser known as “the Condor” during his years at Oregon State, or the player who later became the NBA’s only white slam-dunk champion.

That said, the Trail Blazers are seriously interested in signing the veteran guard as a free agent, as well they should be.

Portland has targeted Barry and a handful of other guards, including Trent Hassell, Derek Fisher, Fred Hoiberg and Bob Sura, as potential acquisitions this summer.

General Manager John Nash has spoken with Barry and his agent, Arn Tellem, about becoming a Blazer next season.

And Barry, the most versatile guard on the free-agent market, is interested.

“It’s an intriguing possibility,” Barry tells the Tribune from his home in Manhattan Beach, Calif. “I would complement both of their guards (Damon Stoudamire and Derek Anderson) pretty well. I could see myself playing alongside either one of those guys. They have one of the more formidable young post players in the league in Zach Randolph. I could make him look pretty good by making a few shots from the outside, and my passing (ability) might help him, too.

“The Blazers’ interest has been consistent from the beginning. I would say they are definitely a player.”

Barry says Tellem has been contacted by eight teams in addition to Portland and Seattle, the latter his home the past five seasons. Despite reports that Barry is unlikely to re-sign with the Sonics, he says they remain in the picture.

“We are legitimately talking with five teams in addition to Portland,” Barry says. “I have had very good talks with (Seattle GM) Rick Sund. Right now, I wouldn’t put any team ahead of another. Are the Sonics first? I wouldn’t say that. Last? No, everybody is in the mix.”

Houston and San Antonio are among the other teams interested in Barry, who says he expects negotiations to heat up when the top two guards on the free-agent list — Kobe Bryant and Manu Ginobili — reach their decisions.

“Within a week, we should see things happen with those two that will dictate where other guys will go,” Barry says. “I’m probably in there with Fisher as the third or fourth domino in line.

“It’s not frustrating. It’s kind of fun to be involved in the process and see how everything shakes out. We have teams calling you wouldn’t think have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting me, and we have heard from other teams I never thought would call. Some have talked about a free-agent deal and others have talked sign-and-trade. I imagine it’s kind of a fun time for the NBA fan. There’s a lot of water-cooler talk out there right now.”

Splendid in Seattle

After averaging 76 games the previous four seasons in Seattle, Barry played only 59 games last season, missing more than a month at midseason with knee problems. When healthy, the 6-6, 205-pound combo guard was counted upon for big minutes by coach Nate McMillan and came through with splendid numbers — 10.8 points, 5.8 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 30.6 minutes a game.

Perimeter shooting is Portland’s biggest need, and no free agent better fills the bill than Barry. Last season, the nine-year NBA veteran ranked second in the league in 3-point percentage at .452, was 10th in field-goal percentage at .504 and shot .827 from the free-throw line.

Barry also is one of the game’s most savvy players. He is an accurate and willing passer and can play three positions.

A four-year contract beginning at the midlevel exception — expected to be about $5.3 million — probably would land Barry for Portland with a deal that would be in the neighborhood of $24 million.

Seattle, which can pay Barry more than any other team under the Larry Bird exception, is reported to have offered Barry three years and $18 million; the fourth year is the sticking point. That could wind up to be true with the Blazers, who might be reluctant to pay Barry nearly $6.9 million for the 2007-08 season, when he will turn 36.

“I would like to get 10 years,” Barry jokes. “Really, I’m looking at a number of factors. Four years would be great. Maybe there’s an opportunity to get that.”

Allen is an owner who might be willing to up the ante to get the player he wants. He remembers what happened in 1992, when Phoenix lured veteran guard Danny Ainge away with a three-year free-agent pact.

While Allen has instructed Nash and team President Steve Patterson to do what they can to get Portland’s payroll under control, he paid the NBA-maximum $3 million to buy an additional first-round pick from New Jersey in this year’s draft. And Allen probably wouldn’t mind stealing an important piece of the Sonics out of his own backyard in Seattle.

“What Portland has to offer is what Mr. Allen is willing to do,” Barry says. “There is a difference between what Team A might do and what Portland might do. Each year, Mr. Allen intends to do what it takes to be competitive. Sometimes it cost him a little more money, but he wants to put a competitive team out there.

“That’s what makes (the Blazers) a little different than anybody else. That’s something that sticks in my head.”

Character counts

Barry also is a character guy, a family man with a clean slate and a willingness to fill any role to help a team win.

“They are trying to change some things in Portland,” he says of Blazer management. “Maybe by bringing me in, it would be another message to the fans as to the direction the team is heading.”

Nash says he won’t comment on the Blazers’ interest in any player, but he provides this description of how the Blazers intend to spend their money on the free-agent market: “We need to improve our backcourt. Whether it’s with a point, combo or ‘2’ guard, we need to improve our depth and quality at the guard positions.”

Portland could divide its midlevel exception money between more than one player.

“We have developed a number of scenarios,” Nash says. “We could use it all on a guard we really like, or we could split it between two guards who provide immediate backup help.”

Also available to Portland will be a $1.6 million veteran’s exception. Among those the Blazers have interest in at that price is Brent’s older brother, Jon, a 12-year veteran who played last season in Denver.

“I haven’t talked with Jon lately,” Barry says. “He has been playing too much golf. His cell phone doesn’t work between the eighth and ninth holes.

“We certainly wouldn’t be opposed to playing together. But like I told him, I don’t know how he would handle playing behind me.”

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=25166

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I think we made a BIG mistake on not signing Arroyo when we had the chance... He signed a fairley small contract w/ the Jazz comparied to all the money flying around in the NBA. We coulda had a badass pg for years to come for a VERY cheap price!

15. pasox2

Supporting Member

Ummm...this was supposed to be an edit to my earlier post, but I hit the quote button. deleted that now . Here's the extra comment :

There's a few teams that would like his services and his expiring contract. (NY, NJ, Minn, etc.). That'd be a nice acquisition with the TE and Mo T - essentially, we could look at it as a way of getting ANOTHER MUCH BIGGER TE. :).

16. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Also known as the guy who got into a shoving match with Yao Ming.

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Barry thinks himself TMac and acts like Mr.Weisbrod. Screw him and find
    another servicable guard here or oversea.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

:confused:

Brent Barry is about to sign the last major contract of his career. He has every right to think over where he wants to play.

19. Raven

Raven Member

While the Rockets have been waiting at Barry's door, flowers in hand, the other prized point guards are getting scooped up.

Jamal Crawford has too much SF in him, but he hasn't gotten put through the JVG grinder yet, and what about Jackson.

I think the Rockets should bow out, and let the 32 year old earn his 24 million somewhere else.

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

And the Jazz would have laughed their asses off and matched our offer. The only way to get him was to overspend.