1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets PG to be solved soon (CLARIFIED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 8, 2004.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I'll throw a wildhorse into the Mix, and say it might be Troy Hudson we agreed on terms with.

2. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

i would rather have damon jones for 2-3 mill.

3. sup123

sup123 Member

i bet c ward.

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

I'm going with cward, fisher or Hudson.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

6. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

It better not be c ward :(

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I have a feeling its going to be Barry. Seattle is still not willing to give a 4th year and Spurs are set to resign Manu. Barry probably wants to get on a team asap and the Rockets offer is a sure thing.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My money's on Barry. Because of the TE, we can offer him more than MLE $ and using the TE via SnT gives SEA a trade exception. It makes the most sense because Barry covers 2 positions and we would still have the full MLE after a Barry SnT.

Fisher would be my second guess and we could SnT him as well. Any 2004-05 FA SnT can use the TE and leave the full MLE.

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yup.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I still think we will get D-fish, even though I am sold on B.B. playin for us.

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Hope we get Fisher. Barry going to be over paid. I don't want to cripple the franchise with bad contracts like they dud with Moochie, Cato, Taylor etc.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

PLease NOT C Ward.
    i want arroyo but if that is not possible then Barry. But not Ward

13. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

What is the use of the TE to Seattle and LA?
    Barry is already of Seattle's book. Fish off LA's book. Our trade exception has no use to them whatsoever.

We confuse the use of the TE with cases like Cleve. Cleve is close to max cap (I think) and has players under contract. The TE allows us to take in 1 or more of their players' salaries, thus they come of Cleve's book. Cleve then has cap room to give more to Boozer.

#33 ragingFire, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I was gunning for Fisher at first. Then I realized *he* would be the one that would be sorely overpaid. Have you heard the figures he's asking for? Nothing he's earned. I think if we're going to spend that kind of cash, might as well get Barry for the 4 yrs 24 mil

15. Raven

Raven Member

Why wouldn't 610 name the player? As a favor to CD for giving them the scoop?

And why are people saying Charlie Ward?

16. Sane

Sane Member

Definitely not Charlie Ward.

I think it's either Barry or a trade.

Probably Barry seeing as it happened right after San Antonio reached an agreement with Manu Ginobili.

If they have 7.5M left, they can't split it between Barry and Bowen. Bowen would ask for 4M (at least), which would leave Barry with 3.5M. I don't think Barry will sign for anything less than 5M, which would leave 2.5M for Bowen.

Barry can't go to the Spurs. The Sonics won't offer him a 4th year.

I think we've got him.

17. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Barry must be open to taking less than the Rockets' offer if the Manu and Bowen numbers are accurate as reported in this article. It seems to me that the Spurs would only be able to offer Barry a deal that starts at $4 mil at most, since the figure of $14 mil under the cap is always attributed to the Spurs.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ies/MYSA070904.1A.spursginobili.215cfdf2.html

Manu good as gold: $52 million worth
    Web Posted: 07/09/2004 02:53 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden and Mike Monroe
    Express-News Staff Writers

Manu Ginobili, whose Latin heritage and improvisational play have made him one of the most popular players in the Spurs' history, has verbally committed to a six-year contract that will make him one of the franchise's richest.

The deal, which is "99 percent" completed, according to a source close to the negotiations, totals about $52 million and is fully guaranteed. Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the only players to have received larger contracts with the Spurs.

"We still have a few 'T's' to cross," the source said Thursday night, "but we will be finished tomorrow."

Under NBA rules, players aren't allowed to sign contracts until Wednesday. Verbal agreements, while common in the league, are not binding.

Ginobili's agreement comes one day after his Chicago-based agent, Herb Rudoy, said he and the Spurs were not close on an agreement but would continue "to slug through" negotiations.

By Thursday afternoon, the two sides had closed the distance between them enough to make the deal imminent.

"Manu has made it clear he wants to get it done and he wants to stay in San Antonio, and (the Spurs) have made it clear they want to get this finished," Rudoy said about 4 p.m. Thursday. "Hopefully we will get it done (today) or over the weekend, but we are going to get it done."

Rudoy and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, who conducted the negotiations, continued to finalize the contract into Thursday evening.

In addition to bringing back Ginobili, the Spurs have reached agreement on a three-year contract worth about $13 million with forward Bruce Bowen. The deal has a fourth-year at the team's option that if not exercised guarantees Bowen $2 million.

Hedo Turkoglu, who replaced Ginobili in the starting lineup midway through last season, agreed Wednesday to a six-year offer sheet with Orlando that could end up being worth close to $40 million. The Spurs will have 15 days to match the deal after Turkoglu signs it next week, but are not expected to unless their other free-agent options are no longer available.

With Ginobili's deal all but done, the Spurs now have the flexibility to seriously pursue other players, though they won't know exactly how much money they have left to spend until the league releases the salary-cap figure Wednesday.

Spurs officials have been encouraged by their talks with Seattle free-agent guard Brent Barry. They also have spoken with the agent for former Spurs guard Stephen Jackson, but Jackson is likely seeking a deal similar to the one Orlando gave Turkoglu.

Ginobili's contract, which will average more than $8.5 million annually, represents not only his value to the franchise, but also how much teams have increased their spending on free agents this summer.

In addition to Turkoglu's above-market deal, Phoenix lured point guard Steve Nash away from Dallas with a six-year contract that guarantees him more than $60 million.

Denver had expressed strong interest in Ginobili, but dropped out of the bidding Thursday afternoon to pursue New Jersey free-agent forward Kenyon Martin. Nuggets officials had been wary of signing Ginobili to an offer sheet because they thought the Spurs would match the deal.

From the first day of free agency, Ginobili said he wanted to remain with the Spurs. After visiting Denver and Utah over the weekend, he reiterated those desires to team officials on Sunday.

Ginobili had said he hoped to have a deal in place before his wedding in Argentina on Saturday. Barring any last-minute complications, he will receive his wish.

#37 SA Rocket, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If Barry is going to take almost half the money from San Antonio then the Rockets are offering then screw it and move on to someone else. Hudson is being offered like 4 years 16 million dollars, the Rockets could offer more then that obviously.

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

My money is on Mo Taylor, Clarence Weatherspoon, Adrian Griffin, future 1st for Jason Kidd and re-signed Martin. Atleast that is what I'm hearing around here. ;).

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why would Barry want to go to San Antonio for LESS money and yet come off the BENCH with Parker and Ginobili starting? He could get more money in Houston and be a starting PG and get more minutes.