1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets partying before games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

The other day, <i>Rocket Rich NYC</i> posted about seeing various Rocket's team members partying before the NJ game, and their habits in other cities ... (what was REALLY wierd about the post, was that he said that Griffin had been busted for mar1juana, when he hadn't been that I knew of, and then days later, he is ... **shreaky Twilight Zone music going off in the background**)

I found it <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54772">a fascinating post</a>, because it may present an answer to the seemingly schyzophrenic behavior of the Rockets. He pointed out that Yao and Francis don't party before games, but if I recall correctly, that Mobely, Posey, Griffin, Cato and Norris do.

OK, I'm not against partying. I think that drugs and alcohol are a way to medicate pain, but so many successful people medicate their pain through all sorts of addictions, from workaholism, adrenaline addiction to p*rnography. Does that mean they can't succeed? No, in fact, I find that most of those who succeed, battle the most difficult of personal demons. I prefer to get high on life. But, I've had to learn relaxation techniques for turning off adrenalin after needing to use it to go into a zone. Very hard lesson to learn. Its easy to get hooked on it, when you are in situations where you strive to be the best.

But, its a whole different matter to do that before games. After the drug of choice (alcohol, pot, coke, adrenalin, neurochemicals)wears off, you pay the piper, and are less than your normal self. This could answer many questions about this team.

1) Why do we do so badly on the road?
    2) Why does our team look unbeatable one day, terrible the next?
    3) Why does it seem sometimes that only Francis and Yao are sharp some games?
    4) Why is it that when Francis tries to get everyone involved some games, they shoot terrible, so then he has to take over the game, then other times he doesn't trust his teammates?
    5) Why do we play good against the good teams, bad against the bad teams?
    6) Why does the team create big leads, then play down to the competition, lose their lead, then have such a climactic finish, when they should have put it away?
    7) Why do they lose so many close games?

If they are addicted to adrenalin, then they need a challenge to get them up. Only when they have a "fight or flight" response, with their backs against the wall, do they seem to play well, and sometimes it seems they want the game to be that way. But, when people are addicted in any way, they also feel invincible, but fall short.

Perhaps, we need Rudy to apply what he has learned from overcoming his own addiction to alcohol and cigarrettes to help these guys. If this is true, the assistant coach we really need for the Rockets is John Lucas. He knows how to deal with these issues, having failed, and worked his way out of it.

In the past, we just got rid of them, ala Lucas, Wiggins and Mad Max. But, today, we are an even more addicted society. One way or the other, if this is our problem, we need to take it straight on.

<b>Houston, we may have a problem ...</b>

2. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I found your post very fascinating.

We are either too inconsistent because of youth...or because of partying. But someone needs to change. Like childen...they need to be confined to their rooms. If Mobley does party, it really doesn't affect him too much. He usually does good. Is there some cool hangout place in Cleveland? Because I do not know how we actually lost that one. They probably party when they know they play a bad team. Cato seems to do fine. He's always crazy. And Moochie. If he does party...he parties...and then can't sleep. I heard he can't sleep...mental problems. And he was r****ded and was failing.

Anyways...Eddie was very disappointing. Sorry for rambling.

But Houston, we do have a problem. :(

Only thing we can do is get all the good kids like Elton Brand, Richard Jefferson, and Eric Snow. Then we will be the All Good Boys Team.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Thats why your Sherlock!!:D

4. DJ

DJ Member

I think that some players on the Rockets, both past and present experimented with drugs/alcohol, but realize that it was wrong and changed that. I can not think of any Rocket player who has had a persistent drug problem.

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Sherlock
    I cannot run out anything as your post has hinted.

When certain things happen (positive or negative), they give birth to other things and thoughts. I have not really made up my mind on what to make of all this but all I can say for now is that I am glad that we have Steve (minus his DUI) and Yao who seem to be upright citizens.

6. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Yao cusses. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sherlock, RRNY didn't really say "before games." He said the night before games.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i once pitched a no hitter when i was on acid...................

or maybe I just thought i did.......

9. story_teller

story_teller Member

I agree, Fegwu...BTW, wasn't Francis' DUI charge dropped?

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The first thing I thought of when I heard that Griffin got busted for possesion was Rocket Rich NYC's post. It is a shame that some rockets are going out to party the night before games but it's not that shocking considering the young age of the players. If the Rockets had a nice mix of veterans the young players would have older players to model themselves after.

On a side note, I have a friend who is a cop that works security outside of some downtown clubs for extra cash. He said he see Mobley down there a lot with a bunch of chicks that are always f*cked up. Eyes dialated, constant hugging f*cked up if you know what I mean. I asked if it looked like Mobley was messed up on X also, but he said Mobley always looked fine. Mobley might be going out to party but it doesn't sound like he is doing any drugs illegal or legal.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You planted it didn't you!

I knew it!
    ;)

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont need drugs to enjoy life, just enhance it...

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

remember when chris webber got pulled over whilst smoking a joint going to practice? it was like 8:30 in the morning!!! he was a dedicated stoner if there ever was one.

i cant imagine those guys "paryting" before a game. i would be really disappointed. i expect them to relax and catch a buzz after playing, but not before! and what constitutes partying-moochie, cato, mo and eddie smoking a joint? are they drinking beer too (beer would be FAR worse than weed as a pre-game pick-me up).
    and anyway, they are only taking after their coach. that aint just diet coke that rudy is drinking on the sidelines (sorry to kick a man when down, but...).

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Rockets are one of the better NBA teams on the 2nd game of back to backs. Hmmmm....

Less time to party?

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Doc Ellis :)

16. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

isnt mobley married and have a kid?

17. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Okay. I read the newspaper and the coach of UT I think said that he allowed his players to go out and enjoy New Orleans the night before the game. Isn't that like partying? Maybe that's why one of their players couldn't even make a wide open shot under the basket.

The Rockets players aren't the only ones who party...I hope not.

Coach needs to address this issue.

Houston has a problem. The world today...

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Bakley was a Sun, wasn't he quoted as saying "you have great titty bars in Houston". I have to guess that partying goes on a lot. That is bound to happen a lot when you turn kids into millionaires.

19. alex_huynh

alex_huynh Contributing Member

Likewise, the Rockets are the opposite when they have more time to rest. Hmmmm....

More time to party?

20. wowming

wowming Member

Bill Walton used to take acid before games, and the Iceman would smoke pot before games, or so I heard...