1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets option for a Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by franchise?..NOT, Jul 6, 2009.

1. opticon

opticon Member

Those stats for Murphy look good. But I was always under impression that he was Charmin soft and had horrible contract.

Are those things still thought to be true about him?

2. 1individual

1individual Member

He adds scoring to the table. His 3's are deadly. He would go on a spree during crunch time, knocking one after the other. But I remember he had a buzzer beating tip shot against the Lakers last season which was big.

3. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

3 way deal - http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5175913

HOU gets M.Gasol, Jaric, Buckner (gives up Battier, Dorsey, Cook, Barry)

MEM gets Battier, Hinrich, Dorsey (gives up M.Gasol, Jaric, Buckner)

CHI gets Barry, Cook, and maybe a draft pick from somebody (gives up Hinrich)

5. emmanuelb

emmanuelb Member

camby and richardson for mcgrady get it done morey

6. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

I haven't seen anyone mention mention Ryan Hollins, a young 7 footer.

He could make a decent back up option and future prospect behind Chuck until (if) Yao comes back.

Born: Oct 10, 1984
    Height: 7-0 / 2,13
    Weight: 230 lbs. / 104,3 kg.
    College: UCLA
    Years Pro: 3

2009 Playoffs Statistics
    PPG 2.4
    RPG 2.70
    APG 0.1
    EFF + 4.22

Rockets scout breakdown:
    Zipfel says: He is a good shooter with deep shooting range. Has the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive as a straight line driver to the rim. He is one of their better defensive rebounders for minutes played.

Jason says: Rockets' fans surely remember Hollins as the guy whose fronting defense (along with some help from Brandon Bass as well) on Yao Ming gave Houston fits during the second-half of the final game of the regular season; one which would have enabled the Rockets to grab the West's No. 2 seed if they had escaped Dallas with a victory. His size, youth and athleticism are all attractive qualities, and teams would almost certainly not be required to break the bank to pry him away from Dallas. Still, he remains very much in the project-phase of his NBA development and is by no means starter material at this point. But he has improved every year in the league, and by adding more strength and refinement to his game he should be able to carve out a valuable niche for himself as a regular contributor at some point in the near future.

7. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

Ryan Hollins playoff highlights Mavs vs. Spurs:

Link YouTube

8. chadyang

chadyang Member

Looks fine to me though we have to give up Battier...:(
    But how would CHI do this trade by giving up Hinrich? By cutting their cap space somehow?

9. stab

stab Member

All we need is a serviceable guy at the center position. Nobody spectacular, just a saavy veteran. Enter Rasho Nesterovic. The past 4 years he has shot over 50%, and last year averaged 14 pts per 36 minutes played. A very capable veteran, we can get him w/o breaking the bank and taking up space for the '10 FA class. Solid and inexpensive...

10. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

We should go after Earl Barron. I think he is playing in Europe right now.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Four teams including the Spurs are moving in on Channing Frye. Morey's moneyball is going to leave us with scraps so he can get a bargain. Ah, I forgot. Morey doesn't believe height is a factor in the NBA. BTW, in 2010 there are no prodigy centers should we finish dead last in the league.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

The Mavs are keeping him. I doubt the Rockets can get him.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait... Morey stinks because he wouldn't pay.... Channing Frye?

The same Channing Frye I was watching in the playoffs benched for being useless?

And the guy who doesn't believe in height just spent his MLE on Trevor Ariza and his 8'11.5'' standing reach?

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Name one area, where David Lee out preformed Murphy. (Waiting)

15. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

16. tming

tming Member

no to redd, dude gets injured constantly but i'd take bogut.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

How is this a good trade for us? Murphy and Dunleavy were dumped by GS...dumped, and everybody was saying Indiana got owned in that deal. Now you want to trade Scola, an up and coming pg and our best defender for that dude and fillers? Lol no freaking way.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Salary? Murphy is making 10 mill this season alone. You could pay Scola, Landry and Ariza for roughly that amount, does his production equal those three players?

19. worzel gummidge

<strike>Marcin Gortat</strike>
    Zaza Pachulia
    Ryan Hollins restricted
    Anderson Varejao
    <strike>Chris Andersen</strike> url
    David Andersen (July 15 deadline)
    <strike>Raheed Wallace</strike>
    Theo Ratliff
    Rasho Nesterovic
    Antonio McDyess
    Channing Frye
    Chris Wilcox
    Mikki Moore
    Jason Collins
    Jamaal Magloire
    Sean Marks

20. chonox

chonox Member

Zaza would be the only C i would start from that list.

Hollins and varejao interest me but haven't proven to me that they deserve to start. David Andersen also interests me but in general, acquiring a legitimate C through free agency seems like a really dismal affair, especially with such a weak offering.

Trade might be the better option for acquiring a C, making use of tmacs expiring contract (Battier would be the other obvious choice as trade bait but i'd hate to see him go), leaving our roster lackluster in the scoring department. Scoring will be a problem, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, budinger/taylor were most likely brought in to try to offset this weakness and hopefully at least one of them can develop into something really special in the upcoming season.

pg: brooks/lowry
    sg: taylor/barry
    sf: ariza/battier/budinger
    pf: scola/landry
    c: zaza/dorsey

Hopefully Morey will be able to work some magic (especially get rid of tmac) in order to make our roster a more competitive one but still it would be a fun season to see how our younger players develop, which is basically everybody except for barry/battier/scola. With scola being our lone back to basket post player, I honestly think he has a solid chance of being a 20/10 guy this upcoming season.