1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets open to trading John Wall for Russell Westbrook if incentivized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2022.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I guess the question for me. Why are they rockets just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic? Will they be relevant in my lifetime again. I have live in houston my entire life. Everything Tillman touches turns to dog excrement as he cheaps it out and overcharges for it. How people still go to his eateries blows my mind. He serves substandard food source substandard meat and generally destroys any business he squires.

mikenm268, D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Can't believe this man is wasting an entire year of his career and legacy to collect more cash when he's already worth a couple hundred million.

He gon' regret.

GotGame15 and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

looks like he’s rounding into shape

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With a couple hundred million there will be 0 regret.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He's living the American dream. 35 million to do nothing. Pretty sure there is no regrets.

6. napalm06

Great points everyone, obviously there is nothing besides money in life. Lol

Easy likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Having a great time in Miami.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gotta keep making and saving money, it is not like doing business during the Pandemic is a cakewalk.

9. napalm06

Since youre interested in explaining monetary concepts to me, lets dive in! :cool:
    https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/072815/what-marginal-utility-income.asp

Are you familiar with a concept called diminishing returns by chance?

Dude has made $175M in NBA base salary alone. It's a wonder former players like Bill Russell can even put food on their table amirite? He never made anything near that. Get a good wealth manager with half of this money and you're setting up future generations well.

Throwing away a chance to win and change your legacy is costing you future money in opportunity costs. This is called greed.

I can understand why he'd want to sit on this guaranteed fat contract. However, I can also understand why he might not. You only have so many years at the top. Your post career legacy can be a huge revenue stream.

The choice is his and he is making it, indeed. I'm just surprised, not *everyone* would make the same choice.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's looking in good shape. Such a massive waste if both money and an NBA starter.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IDK. When you have already made 200M, giving up a few million to go to a place where you can contribute sounds perfectly sensible... unless, of course, he doesn't really care about contributing in basketball. Just chill and be rich.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, bro, I am just playing.

But I think Wall is pretty cautious with his body now, I think he woud not even go all out now because he is so brittle.

Thanks for clearing that up, do you know the maximum that he would get in a buyout?

And how much he would lose out?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wall is making the intelligent business decision.

He is building generational wealth - if he took a buyout now, he probably costs himself 70m.....no one with a smidge of intelligence would do it any differently.

DD

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

???
    What are you talking about? There's only about 50M left in his remaining contract. No buyout will ask him to give up all of that. And it's not like he won't get a job elsewhere to get paid at least a vet min amount.

GotGame15 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's your estimate on the money he would lose?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well, I was talking about this year too....

He had more than 90m in these 2 years.....he probably has 20m left this year and 45 next for 65m to be paid.....any buyout would be significant less money and no team is going to pay him big bucks until he shows he is fully healthy and even then, he won't get near the 45m he is owed next year.

So I think he is doing the smart thing....why even give up 20m?

Or are you saying his buyout would only be a million or so? If that is the case fine....but I think the Rox would play hard ball on any buyout.

DD

17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Taking a buyout wouldn’t be any less intelligent. He’s made a couple hundred million. If he invests prudently the generational wealth is there. And if he blows through what he’s made another $70mm or whatever (and it would be much less than that in any event, especially when you factor in what playing well could mean for his next deal) probably isn’t going to change that. This inflation spike maybe changes things but interest rates will eventually catch up one way or another.

If he wants to maximize his earnings in this short window that’s cool. If he wants to maximize his opportunities to compete in the NBA in this short window that would be cool too.

I don’t think Tom Brady is going to look back and regret giving up some of the money he did to help his teams build contenders.

joshuaao, Easy and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

This is why I have no sympathy for any all-star who never wins a ring. Yao is a great example. After years of injuries he was due for a contract extension and the Rockets were a very good team. It was obvious he only had a few seasons left in him with the constant injuries. I always thought to myself, why couldn't Yao just give up some money, sign one season for the minimum to be champion.

I'd be willing to bet that Yao, with his 160 million in the bank, wishes he had a ring and 140 million in the bank. Same thing for Iverson, except for the money in the bank part.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, Blake Griffin gave up 13M on 75M left he was owed, and signed a 2.5M contract with the Nets. He probably won't be able to recoup the loss. That's probably one of the biggest buyouts in recent memories.

Wall is owed about 60-65M. I'd say a reduction of 10M would be reasonable.

Let's say the Rockets feel generous and pay him out 55M of 60M left. Would you pay 60M for nothing or 55M for nothing? Why would they want to hardball him? The only value Wall has to the Rockets is getting Russell nobody-wants-to-touch Westbrook and a pick 5 years from now.

To Wall, even if he loses 10M from the buyout, he still can make a significant chunk back. Think about this. Rondo makes 4.8M. Augustin makes 7M. Beverley makes 14M. Wall is arguably better than all of those guys. If he can get a couple of teams bidding for him, he might get more than the min. (e.g. If the Kings do trade Fox or Haliburton, they might be interested in getting Wall for a relatively cheap contract.) Even if he can only get a vet min this year, he still can bet on himself and show that he still can play on a reasonable level.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yao had a whole country with the most population behind him, he was never going have to worry about money again.......

career ending injury or not.

He is now Chairman of all things basketball related.
    He is probably Stern, Silver, Chris Paul and Lebron combined. And MJ.

BigShasta likes this.