1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets open to trading John Wall for Russell Westbrook if incentivized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2022.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

that is gross and weak
    i thought you know better

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#202 J.R., Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    don grahamleone likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I thought you know English....

and you want to school me on embedding pictures.

C'mon man, get outta here

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i supposed that was some kind of abbreviation but still gross
    you dissapointed me and i love indians

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah it was above your head

and I'm a big fan of Hakeem, but yet you disappoint me often lately

Que Serà, Serà

#205 ApacheWarrior, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3087642/202...ohn-wall-eric-gordon-christian-wood-and-more/

• It’s been nearly two months since John Wall expressed a desire to return to the Rockets rotation. The Rockets have made it clear what their priorities are right now: Continue to develop their young backcourt of Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr., as well as the other young players around them. Wall has not been with the team recently, working on his conditioning and ramping up workouts in Miami. However, The Athletic understands Wall and the front office continue to remain in constant communication as the season progresses, with transparent communication a priority. The Rockets want to find a positive solution elsewhere for Wall, although his market is somewhat blurred due to the financial obstacles a trade would present.

The reality is that with two seasons remaining on his contract (and 2022-23 being a player option for more than $47 million), the pickings are slim. Houston has recently received calls from a handful of teams about potentially acquiring Wall, sources tell The Athletic, but due to the aforementioned contract constraints, rival teams continue to simply monitor the situation. One such team that had expressed genuine interest earlier in the season was the LA Clippers, sources say, but there is some confusion from an outsider’s perspective on the Clippers’ objectives heading into the deadline.

• Ironically enough, the one team that could offer a clean solution to a Wall trade is the Los Angeles Lakers. Former MVP Russell Westbrook is making nearly identical money to Wall over the next two seasons. Marc Stein of Substack reported Houston’s interest in an incentive-based deal that The Athletic can confirm, but there are caveats to this. For starters, this is not a situation where Houston is interested in Westbrook. Both parties have already been down that path and are at different places respectively. The Rockets are only interested in finding a solution for Wall’s situation. Westbrook would likely never suit up for Houston in that instance. For a deal to get done, Houston would have to be enticed by an aggressive Lakers approach — one involving either a third team or suitable additional assets — to make it work. Houston would require the Lakers’ 2027 first-rounder in such a deal, sources tell The Athletic, but it’s unclear how willing the Lakers are to put that on the table.

Talen Horton-Tucker is an example of an asset that might have intrigued Houston during the past offseason, but his contract — three years, $30 million — and his overall production might not be what the Rockets are looking for at this stage. One of the main reasons Houston drafted an unprecedented four rookies during the 2021 NBA Draft was to have the chance to develop four young players into quality rotational pieces, a prospect that trumps draft picks that won’t be made for the next five seasons — or players like the 21-year-old Horton-Tucker already commanding $10 million annually.

#206 J.R., Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    luckyman76, No Worries and Shark44 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

This is terrific, we get a potential lottery pick in 2027 and we look good to the league by buying out Russ

luckyman76, D-rock and DrNuegebauer like this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yes please.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. Trade Wall to LA for Westbrook and a 1st Round Pick
    2. Buy out Westbrook's remaining contract
    3. Westbrook signs with Brooklyn to reunite with Harden and Durant
    4. Westbrook causes Brooklyn's team to implode making Brooklyn's draft picks become all that much better
    5. Profit

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is all like a Greek tragedy to me... we got rid of the CP3 contract (deemed untradeable) for an even worse contract in WB, almost losing our FRP in the process. Then we proceed to trade the even worse WB contract for an even, even worse Wall contract while CP3 went on to lead the Suns to Finals. Now someone is floating the idea of trading Wall for WB for an easier buyout. :eek:

TimDuncanDonaut and No Worries like this.
  12. steddinotayto

I mean if it makes you feel any better you can think of it as:

Houston trading Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Patrick Beverley, 2 1st Rounders and 2 pick swaps for Russell Westbrook, Washington's 1st round pick, and LA's 1st round pick :D

Deckard, luckyman76, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Not sure if that makes me feel any better, but at least it doesn't make me feel worse. :p

Deckard, luckyman76 and steddinotayto like this.
  14. steddinotayto

I mean if you want to do fuzzy math those 1st round picks kind of cancels out so it would be:

Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, Patrick Beverley, 2 pick swaps for Russell Westbrook. Not...bad? lol

luckyman76 and chenjy9 like this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That does make it more funny considering how far WB has fallen where even trading him for 4 role players is considered questionable.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They will implode all their own. Have him go to the bucks. That pick is unprotected next year too lol

steddinotayto likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not if we buy him out.

Plus also the whole WB thing the first time around cost us Capela, Harden (and a competitive team!), so bring in the draft position to the equation instead?

Dekker, Harrell, Bev 2 swaps for future cap relief and the #2 overall pick.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

Look man I was trying to find a bright side for @chenjy9 lol ....yea that CP3-for-Russ trade sucked then and it still sucks now.

D-rock, xaos and DrNuegebauer like this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh yeah, I saw the silver lining attempt. I was just helping make it more positive - #2 pick and capspace >> Russ!!

steddinotayto and xaos like this.
  20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If the Harden-CP3 feud was untenable and while no GM in the world would choose CP3 coming off his worst year over Harden who just won MVP, it would be interesting if CP3 + Capela + Gordon + whatever the Rockets get from trading Harden would have been title contenders.

hakeem94 likes this.