1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets one of the most aggressive suitors for Damian Lillard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 20, 2021.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the bottom line for Tilman. Unfortunately, we are stuck in quicksand with him.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was DD who suggested making the trade to jettison Wall's contract and then flipping Lillard. I asked myself why they would need us to play middle man and can't really think of reason. However, maybe the aggressiveness of the Rockets was just to see if there wasn't something they could gain from it. Anytime a big time contract like that is moving, it doesn't hurt for other teams to get in there and see if something shakes loose to benefit them. Get an extra pick for helping facilitate. That might make sense for the Rockets. Actually trading for Lillard does not.

saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  4. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

The problem isn't Lillard. Stone could build a championship team around him. His moves so far have been solid. The problem is the cost in assets -- players and/or picks -- to get Lillard wouldn't leave the Rockets with enough to build that team. So no.

Blatz, RudyTBag and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There won't be harden or Morey this time for u tilman defenders to blame on if this sht is going down.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree Dame is awful defensively but have they really tried to hide him with key players like McCollum, Carmelo and Nurkic? Not to mention a hoard of bench players over the years like Kanter, Seth Curry, Myers Leonard, Vonleh and so on

Blazers have never put a team of defenders around Damian and I think that’s the biggest reason for their routinely underwhelming performance

I don’t think Wood would be an answer either, they need a Horford, Turner, Siakam type of defender with RoCo, along with dumping McCollum, Carmelo, Nurk, Simons, and Kanter, they can’t have a single player on the team outside of Dame that isn’t a stout defender

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Are they taking John Wall? If so let's do it.

how crazy would it be if we traded for Lillard and Harden came back.

hakeem94, D-rock and ArtV like this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t buy it. No way Portland trades Dame to a WC team.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The only way it would make sense is if Houston pulled of a HUGE baller moved and organized Leonard and Lillard teaming up here somehow, would happen in a million years but Stone should do due diligence

Outside of that just try to be a 3rd team to bridge picks for a young talent or send young talent for picks

MoMobley, hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lillard needs to team up with a true superstar if he has any chance of getting a chip.

Teaming up with Embiid or Bam and Butler makes the most sense.

So basically it’s the same packages rumored for Harden. Herro and Simmons. Ha!

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They double down on that backcourt configuration when they signed McCollum to an extension. Then they compounded their mistake by making Carmelo an important member of their rotation.

A better fit in the backcourt with Lillard at this point would be Lonzo Ball. Above average defender, decent 3 point shot and can handle the ball as needed.

hakeem94, D-rock, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Honestly, if I were the Blazers, I would make a call to the Nuggets and do a Lillard for Murray and picks. Murray is young enough to where his defensive deficiencies can be improved and his offense, when healthy, has high potential. Then you make another move by trading CJ away from a big defensive shooting guard to pair with Murray.

hakeem94, Trackwell and Phillyrocket like this.
  13. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

No good superstar will demand a trade here for at least several years. The real concern is if the Rockets screw up the rebuild chasing after 'midding' stars like Demar Derozan, Kemba Walker, D'Angelo Russell, etc. Hell just look at the Dipo debacle. It's those types of washed-up 'big name' players who the Rockets could easily obtain, but would handcuff this team to mediocrity for years to come.

#93 br0ken_shad0w, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    MoMobley, linvetb6 and Trackwell like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THE PROPHECY IS BEING FULFILLED

[​IMG]

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, I’ll never forget that unfortunately. And it doesn’t help that it is part of like every NBA Playoffs highlight package.

but if he came here we’d have to be like “wow he is sooo good at those 40 footers”

please no.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Surely he wouldn’t be this stupid and pull some trade like this

I would disown the Rockets if they traded for Lillard Under the current circumstances

It would be the dumbest trade ever

Not to mention Lillard would never want to come here

Draft Jalen Green- Try to trade back into the lottery
    Everything else is nonsense

MoMobley likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

Mediocrity treadmill here we come if this trade happens.

MoMobley likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

The cynical side of me says them screwing up is a near certainty.

MoMobley, hakeem94, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rockets aren't going anywhere. More likely Dame vetoes the clown trade.

MoMobley likes this.
  20. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I have to admit it would be interesting to see the inevitable “narrative” change on Lillard the second he became a Rocket.

hakeem94, D-rock, Easy and 2 others like this.