1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets one of the most aggressive suitors for Damian Lillard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 20, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why would Lillard agree to come here, isn't the whole reason of him demanding a trade is to win a championship

BallSoHarden, amaru, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Tis the season when bullshit abounds, GM's agents sports hacks creating stories for their own benefit

BallSoHarden, 34to11 and D-rock like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad that the Rockets have a depleted team that Lillard would likely reject us.

It does maybe give some credibility to the Hawk's insider talking about Rockets completing a blockbuster deal.

I'm not surprised that the Rockets would look into it though. I have no doubt at Tilman's impatience.

mikol13, amaru, BossHogg713 and 2 others like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Patty sounds crazy to me. Tilman is even crazier.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I would think/hope the "interest" is really in being a trade facilitator - seeing if we can pick up an asset or two to help facilitate a trade with other teams getting the principal parts. Generally that's the MO of forward thinking teams in asset collection mode - lending picks/cap space/contracts to make larger deals work.

amaru, dmoneybangbang and jch1911 like this.
  6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It might be one of those situations where the Rockets have some interest Lillard but ultimately just want in on the trade to make it a 3/4 team trade.

Weren’t the Rockets reportedly heavily pursuing Chris Paul (along with Dwight Howard and Melo) in 2011? In the end, they were involved in the CP3 to Lakers deal but as the 3rd team.

Lillard, and his contract, allow a lot of salary to be moved. If the Rockets can somehow get a team to take Wall or Gordon without adding too much draft capitol and/or getting an interesting piece back then that’s a win.

Similar to how the Pacers were able to move off from Oladipo and get Lavert back in the Harden trade, I could see a similar deal where Houston gets to move Wall or Gordon to Portland while getting something back (Zach Collins, Obi Toppin, etc.) as a flier.

TimDuncanDonaut and jch1911 like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I actually see logic behind this:

1. If you can turn a salary cap anchor like John Wall into a valuable asset like Lillard you have to at least explore it
    2. If you can package picks that might not be worth much to you in order to accomplish #1, you have to at least explore it.

Would the Blazers demand the #2 pick? Sure they could but if Stone came back with:

2021 #23
    2021 #24
    2022 Brooklyn/Miami 1st
    2022 Detroit 1st
    2026 Brooklyn 1st

In addition to taking Wall. That's five 1st Rounders and an expiring contact in 2023. There aren't many teams that have enough 1st rounders outside of Houston and OKC that can give Portland what is essentially a rebuilding starter pack of picks. Basically, Stone has a wealth of options in terms of picks at his disposal to make a trade without giving up the 2nd pick.

You still have the following picks:

2023 Brooklyn swap
    2023 Milwaukee 1st
    2023 Washington protected 1st
    2024 Brooklyn 1st
    2025 OKC/Brooklyn swap
    2027 Brooklyn swap

If Dame Time don't stick in Houston then you move him for picks and salaries that are easier to trade/move later. The plus for us is that we don't have the requisite of "Well if we're trading Dame we'll need x, y, or z in return" in terms of players because we're rebuilding so we need as much talent at all positions as we can get.

Again, I can see the logic behind Stone/Rockets making a call. Not saying it'll happen but the reasoning is sound given the amount of picks we have and the benefit of unloading Wall's contract for a player that can actually be traded for better returns later.

MoMobley, BigggReddd and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Love that Stone is putting in the work.

That means you should be talking to all teams, keeping in touch on all trades. There's always an opportunity to help facilitate. And if not, worst case, you confuse the f out of media.

It's not clear what the Rockets are doing... AND that's a good thing... assuming it is clear to Stone what he's doing, which I think it is.

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Ahahah yeah cuz he’s leaving Portland to come play for the worst team in the league ahahah

MoMobley, amaru, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

We're rebuilding. Lillard is 31 years old. Why come here for another 1st round exit? This doesn't make sense for both side. Unless we're getting another superstar. I just don't see how our picks+Wall+whoever can turn into Lillard+superstar. Maybe Wood/Durant/Tate/Lillard/Gordon is enough to compete

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This would be my greatest fears realized. WE ARE REBUILDING! i

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Don't believe everything you read. I'm sure the Rockets have asked, as it's prudent to ask, but I have a hard time seeing mutal interest.

ElPigto likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And not only would we be worse, in Portland he is an icon. They LOVE him. If we were to acquire Dame, the vast majority of Houston's response would be "who is that?". He is not a star on the level of Lebron. He is not a household name.

So you're going to tell me he would accept being on a worse team, in a city he has no history or ties to, just because? The dude wants to be traded to a contender. Not a rebuilding team that won 17 games last year. Jesus this is dumb.

BallSoHarden and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

We are also going hard for Cade according to the news. Cade and Dame incoming.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Duh....

The Fertitta's and Stone can go into their collective offices and come up with fantastic ideas to bring in a player that is a lesser version of the player they just traded away.

Damian isn't going to want to go to the Rockets......... but there is a real possibility that Tilman and Patrick screw up this rebuild at some point before completion.

amaru, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A lillard/green backcourt would be filthy. Wishful thinking

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Rockets are probably offering Gordon and Wall.

Stone Cold!

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is exactly why I posted my thread......that I don't believe Tillman will be patient enough to see it through.

DD

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Perhaps they love the pain? Going from Paul's contract to Westbrook's contract to Wall's contract and now Lillard and his contract that will pay him almost $50 million in the last year.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't you heard? KPJ is 'bout to be a superstar!

MoMobley likes this.