1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets one of the most aggressive suitors for Damian Lillard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 20, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Actually, it’s the complete opposite.

The Mavericks drafted their cornerstone in Luka, but got impatient and tried to win right away instead of building a young core around Luka. What they should have done was tanked another year or two to pair Luka with another cornerstone piece for the next decade. Instead, they made weird win-now moves and traded for KP. Now they’re stuck.

Look at the core of the young teams that were successful in these recent playoffs:

Atlanta: Trae Young, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins

Phoenix: Booker, Ayton, Bridges

When you have a young core in place, THEN you trade for that vet that pushes you over the top. Like CP3 for the Suns and Capela for the Hawks.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

strange that the Rockets would be 1 of the most aggressive suitors if all they were interested in being was a possible 3rd wheel

hakeem94, steddinotayto and saleem like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This franchise is lost if they are thinking that Lillard is the answer to this franchise's future.

And on top of that, why the **** would Lillard want to be here? The entire reason why he wants out of Portland is because he thinks he can't win a ring thwre. The Blazers are infinitly closer to contending than the current Rockets.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How glorious would this be if Stone is just bidding up the price for Lillard just so Morey has to give up a bunch of unprotected first rounders lmao!!

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

Wait, you still think Paul George is a #1 option on a championship contending team?

Invisible Fan, Denovo and BossHogg713 like this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Not even if the Rockets also got Conley or Lowry to go along with him.

There isn't another star that we could pair with Lillard right now (as Kawhi will most likely exercise his player option with the Clips). Seems like anyone substantial that's available is injury prone.

What sucks a high hard one right now is that the Rockets best competing years were against the Warriors superteam. Once KD left Golden State the Rockets should have never let Paul go for trash. Harden could've easily stayed along with Capela not being traded and they could've been contending in the Finals this year. You can' tell me the Suns were a better team this year than the Rockets were in 2017-19.

But then I think about Harden's injury this year and wonder if we traded him before his deterioration set in?

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I dunno, maybe? He was pretty good with no help this post-season?

More the point that Lillard isn't an alpha dog, could be someone's robin. Paul George is more a batman than Lillard, but maybe he is also not a real batman.

This post got quite odd... haha

jayfree likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

C Wood is a star

10. amn779

amn779 Member

You're not getting Lillard without giving up the #2 pick. That kind of trade for Lillard only makes sense as part of a larger deal to bring in another star without giving up Wood. Otherwise you're putting all your chips in to bring in Lillard without surrounding him with better talent than Portland did. And all those future firsts don't help Lillard during his 4-year title window.

My guess is that such a trade would be a trade for Lillard centered around the #2 pick with maybe a couple other small assets and then multiple firsts, including some of the unprotected Brooklyn picks, for another star on a team that might be willing to do a deal (PG13? Beal?).

I know we all want a rebuild, but if you could trade #2 for Lillard and package some Brooklyn picks and other assets for another star that makes you a contender...I think you go for it.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry! So many mistakes and impossible plans, shown here by our fans!. The Houston Rockets are developing a team of younger talented players.
    Possibly after one or two more years experience they will be then considering the need foe older experienced stars.
    They are trying to get rid of Wall, Gordon & House. Wake up to that fact first ! Y

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I think I'd rather have PG over Dame at age 31 but barely.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Stone just playing mind games with everyone, including Clutchfans.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I don’t see how Lillard/Beal/Wood is much better than Lillard/McCollum/Nurkic.

#235 Phillyrocket, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    napalm06 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Draft Inception

17. csc177

csc177 Member

I call BS. Just something to write about to keep off-season spicy.

dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it doesnt even matter, you make yourself available to the opportunity just like the suns and miami last year... they were not that good but both almost won it all and it was a lot of fun to follow and watch

19. amn779

amn779 Member

I disagree. I think Wood and Beal are considerable upgrades over McCollum and Nurkic.

I would prefer PG13 because I’d prefer a big wing who can score to pair with Lillard over another elite scoring guard. Lillard, Gordon, George, Tate, and Wood is much better than this year’s Portland team.

Also, LAC could really use some picks before the Kawhi experiment explodes and they have no way to rebuild.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Stone lying his ass off