1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets on/off numbers with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Nov 16, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At the absolute worst point which is rock bottom it is only going to get better.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You are only focusing on one side of the ball with this. My biggest gripe about Green is his defense and effort. He's out there barely trying on defense. That's the part that scares me, I assume the offense will come and develop as he gets stronger but man, he's learning bad habits with how bad he is on defense.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its been disheartening as one of his bigger fans. I'll tread lightly as to not be flamed to oblivion, but Jalen has been dealt a tough hand for his rookie year. I cant think of a more chaotic environment to "learn" your craft. At times I wonder what the offensive philosophy is when Jalens teammates just stop moving and anchor down at the 3 point line when he has the ball. Jalen attacking a packed paint because what else is there to do? I feel he's flashed enough to offer some hope in a year or two. If you can see some special traits then its up to the coach and his players to help him reach his potential, not just throw him to the wolves sink or swim style. The other rookies who get talked up have some pretty nice situations for themselves. Im not sure any of the top 5 picks would have been able to shine in this dysfunction and Im also wondering if I severely underestimated Stones desire to tank when I start looking at the fine print of this season. Some of the figures in the graph would be greatly improved with simple roster modification, but then you'd need a coach who could see the issue and apply the appropriate corrective action and thusly; for us; we do not or maybe Silas has just been given his marching orders from above when it would become a moot point. Hope Jalen can prove his worth and convince most of you guys that he wasnt a bad pick in the near future.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very good statement. I appreciate sensible analogies

kjayp likes this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

He should have come off the bench to start the season. Now I'm not sure benching is the right answer. If you chose sink or swim you have to see it out all the way through the 1st year.

The verrry thin light is that at least there are enough flashes that if you make a starting lineup change he could start to play a lot better. Despite the numbers I think Sengun in the lineup would help him a lot.

TimDuncanDonaut and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

One thing we need to understand about Green, HE'S A TRUE 19YR OLD. If you look at Cunningham, Sengun, Mobley and some of the other 19 yr old players taken in this draft, their body types are significantly more developed than Jalen's.

When you look at the games, he looks like a highly skilled HIGH SCHOOL player out there and unfortunately, I think it's going to take him 2yrs of development, not skill wise but of body development to catch up to the others.

Due to his body type, I questioned starting him and sitting Wall. Just like Kobe did his first couple of yrs, he should've been coming off the bench. However, once he does, I seriously think he will be better than everyone else in this draft.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Numbers? We don’t want no stinkin numbers, you some kinda Morley lover?

lol

Great post.

Edit : Sample is still small but I have been looking around the lineup data after every game and there is one with Green that I have some hope for.

In ~40 minutes the line up of Porter/Green/Gordon/Tate/Wood is +13.3 net

Once Wall was officially sidelined I had a suspicion this group would be one of our best. Hasn’t seen a lot of time together yet though.

8. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Give me a hug \o/

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He needs space and we don't create any. Read and react is a giant fail.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green is just out there chucking and getting cardio…there’s zero structure and he looks clueless

Anthony Edwards before the coaching change his rookie year: 14, 4, and 3 on 38/31/80 shooting splits in 31 games

that’s basically just as trash as Jalen Green

Anthony Edwards after the coaching change: 23, 5, and 3 on 44/34/77 shooting splits

Jalen Green with Silas: 13, 4, and 3 on 36/27/79 shooting splits

Jalen Green after the coaching change?

Anthony Edwards numbers his 1st 14 games (the same amount of games Green has played so far): 12, 3, and 2 on 34/27/74 shooting splits

but that’s none of my business…

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not really. I bet Keith Jones is literally the only person with this organization that was even there for the Eddie Griffin years. Also, the big problem with Eddie Griffin was that he suffered from depression and was self-medicating and back then mental health wasn't even part of what teams were looking at. It's an entirely different era with that. All of these kids get to see a shrink now to help them adjust to the spotlight, the fame, the haters on social media, etc.

And just a fun side note: Jalen Green wasn't even born when Eddie was drafted.

vator and DeBeards like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mother of god…

palmsnbananas likes this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Alright, here's one for KPJ.

[​IMG]

Short thoughts - most of the team is better with him on, worse with him off. So in short, he helps the team. The only major outlier here is DJ Augustin, but they only have 8 minutes played together, so you can throw that one out. In my opinion, the reason here is not because KPJ is playing great, but because his backups are so much worse than him. Sengun thrives with him on, but is terrible with him off, but I think that's because most of his minutes without KPJ are with Jalen, which we already know is not a good pairing. I think Nwaba and KMJ are better with him off because those are their garbage time minutes, they are both garbage time players whereas KPJ is not. So Tate is the only one on here that does better without KPJ.

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am choosing to believe that the organization views the first half of this season as a wash for Green. Give him a substantial number of games where he basically sinks or swims getting by on what got him to the #2 pick. Then, once he is used to the size and speed of the league focus on things that make the game easier for him. Kind of like playing with ankle weights. You get used to having everything be more difficult so that when you take them off its like youre superman. This would make sense if the goal for this year was simply development because it damn sure isnt winning games.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

the perimeter guys on sh*t teams have all started off the year with horrific efficiency

Cade - 35/28/93 shooting splits…45% TS

Green - 36/27/79 shooting splits…47% TS

Suggs - 31/20/84 shooting splits…42% TS

Giddey - 37/26/62 shooting splits…43% TS

my god

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I looked around a bit at some of the lineup data too, specifically 0/1/2 big lineups. As expected the 2 big lineups are trash, we really shouldn't be running those at all. Single big lineups are much better, many of the Wood only lineups are actually positive. A few Sengun only lineups were good as well, and most of the Theis only lineups were bad, but this analysis isn't exactly rigorous, just my thoughts after clicking through it and looking to confirm my own biases for like 15 minutes lol. Maybe a discussion for another thread. Like you said, the sample sizes on most of that stuff are just way too small.

NewAge, jch1911 and jordnnnn like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Expected with Giddey I believe, same with Suggs?
    Cade and Green were supposed to be competent shooters.
    Either way they’re rooks, it’ll take some time. It’s more about what you can offer outside of shooting right now imo.

18. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

It's the system, his body and his confidence. All will be adjusted in time. I believe he will explode next year. We're only a month into the season. Give it time

BossHogg713, harold bingo and sydmill like this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The tracking data has Green shooting about 30% on roughly 7.5 “open” and “wide open” shots per game. There’s just no way that doesn’t improve.

AroundTheWorld and Reeko like this.
  20. vator

vator Contributing Member

I said in another topic that at this point, this is like having food poisoning and arguing that projectile vomiting is better than explosive diarrhea.

I appreciate you doing this. Unfortunately, the really sad thing is they go from being god awful without KPJ to just terrible with him. The differential doesn't hit the same when you see they are still significantly negative with him on the floor even if they are even worse with him off. This is actually depressing. Sengun and Gordon are the only 2 players on the whole entire team in the green with KPJ on the court.

This team is BAD. The coaching is BAD. The rotations are BAD. Green has so far easily been the worst of the BAD, but he has an excuse that most of these other rotation players can't fall back on. I bet every player on this team is mostly negative because that is what a 1-13 team is going to look like. Is it too early to drink?