1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering Scola, Ariza and Battier in sign-and-trades for Bosh or Amar'e

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jul 2, 2010.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agreed. This sounds like a story Phoenix or Toronto is leaking to see if someone else will come to the table with a better offer. The Ariza/Battier part is a clear tip off. Morey wouldn't strip the roster of both our starting AND backup SFs in one fell swoop without some sort of plan in place. Chances are Houston is looking to move picks rather than starters. I'm sure Luis has been offered and Morey is likely trying to unload battier if possible and keep ariza or AB. This rumor just seems like a poor attempt to get another team to think Houston values Bosh/Amare enough to offer 3 potential starters in return for. Don't fall for it.

1 person likes this.
  2. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

and whose to say its amare thats mad? ever think that maybe suns dont wont to deal with him? or take back extra salary?

imo the rockets are the ONLY team in the league that can provide, winning team + sign and trade assets/picks/expirings

if amare told suns he doesnt want to play in houston, suns have no choice but to let him walk. The knicks have enough space to offer him more than anyone because they opened enough for 2 max guys. Miami is getting Bosh and Miami tried to talk Amare into 15 million to play with 3 stars but Amare walked away. Amare is getting max from someone like Knicks or Nets who are desperate.

Rockets arent desperate. We have young players and draft picks. Theres no need to be a players 4th option to sign with us. From looking at Bosh's meetings today, he met Miami,Nets,Bulls alot longer and in person than Houston. Imo we were 4th on Bosh's list.

3. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I don't know if he's made up his mind yet, but I know which team he's leaning towards..

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That's NOT what the trade is. It would either be Scola + Battier or Scola + Ariza. And those would just be the main players. Read the article. It said sign and trade packages.

5. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

What if Morey said we would take Hedo with Bosh? That could be why Ariza and Battier are included.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If we are going to give them a pick, it better be one of our own instead of NY's.

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I'm sure the raptors aren't that dumb to take a deallike that but lets say they did, there goes our defense.

8. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

No... Please don't let this happen. I actually like Ariza. :grin:

I doubt Morey would do this unless he got another defensive SF.

Raja Bell anyone?

[​IMG]

9. Asian Sensation

I wouldn't mind if Battier AND Ariza get traded. We all know Battier's stock is what it is. It's not gonna get any higher or lower. He's got good trade value.

I'd like to keep Ariza but I think we can all agree he's a bit overpaid and we can probably find a better value to replace him.

Losing Scola would suck but if it meant getting Bosh or Amare you HAVE to do that trade.

Overall, I think a serviceable, defensive minded 3 position is the easiest spot to fill in the NBA. There's a plethora of them and it's not hard to "plug n play" for a lack of better words. It's not like Battier and or Ariza were some holy defenders that are irreplaceable even though it seems Battier is made out to be that way on this board.

Here's some players off the top of my head that make similar or considerably less money that can fill the role of Battier/Ariza. I know I'm missing some players that fall into this category and obviously not all of them are going to fully replace Battier/Ariza but they can fill the void hence the term "serviceable".

Ronnie Brewer- would be perfect if we lost Battier/Ariza even though he can't shoot.

Anthony Morrow- My favorite on the list. A sweet shooter that opposing SF's have to pay attention to.

Mo Evans- tough, solid, journeyman, cheap.

Mickael Pietrus- a more athletic, less smart, less expensive version of what Battier does. Similar to Ariza as well.

Travis Outlaw- Cheaper, slightly worse version of Ariza

Dahntay Jones- Can't shoot the 3 for **** but he's tough and can score other ways.

Antoine Wright- young, serviceable, cheap, probably could be had for a pick

Jamario Moon- athletic, cheap, servicable

Joey Graham- tough, good size, good defender and that's about it but he's dirt cheap

Brandon Rush
    - young, serviceable, cheap

James Posey
    - older, more expensive but could be had. Would be worth it if we are in serious contention to win it all

Julian Wright- young, athletic, has a lot of potential, cheap. Don't know what happened to him. Headcase?

Ime Udoka- Old, reliable, cheap

Dominiq Mcguire- UFA, young, good size, can be had for dirt cheap just to fill out the 3 spot. Could be a diamond in the rough.

Thabo Sefolsha- decent overall, makes like half of what Battier/Ariza make and can probably contribute the same amount.

Daequan Cook- young, cheap, potential. Thunder got him for a 2nd rounder and he may not get much PT their either with the plethora of G/F's. Thus why I also listed Thabo as being expendable.

Dorrell Wright
    - Young, good size, athletic, cheap, very intriguing prospect.

More expensive and not readily available but certainly not out of the question.

Tayshaun Prince
    Thaddeus Young
    Matt Barnes
    Raja Bell
    Corey Brewer

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what difference does it make if bosh doesn't want to play here? so many people on here are focusing on what we can offer to toronto and i dont know why. from all indications we're not on the top of bosh's list - in fact it looks like out of all the players in the bosh sweepstakes we seem to be towards the bottom - so regardless of how attractive a package we can offer them is completely irrelevant if bosh doesn't want to play here.

and let's be honest, we're not hearing a word from amare's camp about him being even remotely interested here either... time to face the music, folks.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Unless something happens quickly that will derail the Wade-Bosh seemingly pairing (i.e. Lebron deciding to stay in Cleveland), then we will start next season with the roster nearly intact with the addition of Ming and PP.

Add Miller and we will be in a position to win 50+ games, assuming Yao is healthy enough play reasonably well.

We are stacked guys, in a MUCH better situation than a lot of teams.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

But I doubt we have enough to contend for a championship. Would have loved to have Bosh. Especially since he will just now be going into his prime. Oh well.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

agreed. if ming can stay healthy and we see some solid improvement from hill and cbud, this team is still deep as hell and i would put it up against anyone.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

call me crazy but i think ariza is morey's first big signing and i think he will be in rocket red next year.

15. Asian Sensation

Not when he can lead us to a SPLASH worthy trade.

16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i think its a rumor, but if it was true imagine bosh/amare playing along with patterson at the 3, since he said he liked to play the 3 as well. those 2 are brick walls playing with Yao (The Great Wall of china) our team would be very physical if we were to get amare.

17. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Jefferies' expiring + Hill for Igudala is in the process ;)

Yao Ming, Miller, Anderson
    Bosh/Amare, Patterson, Hayes
    Igudala, Budinger
    Martin, Taylor
    Brooks, Lowry

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

no no no... can't be correct.

19. Htown's2kFinest

Maybe Morey wants to keep him on cuz he's has an expiring contract. I like it. JJ is very versital and play the 3. He's underrated on here but he can play some D(he lead the league in charges drawn last leason). He has great length and I can see him starting to help fill that void that's left behind if both Ariza and Battier are gone. Our frontline would definitely never be called short again. Hopefully we keep Ariza but if the deal is as is then I'm totally happy with what we are giving up for either Bosh or Amare.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You are correct irt to championship aspirations, but for once I would like to see our young players develop into something special. It has been forever since we have seen so much young talent, at least since the championship years and that team was not that young.

Eventually we will get the stud that we need. I am looking at the next 3 years as the time when we will rise and our competitors will start rebuilding (i.e. Lakers, Nuggets, Dallas, etc...).