1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

wat?

did u mean to post this at rickydavis31.com ?

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

horry knows a good big man to play with when he sees one so if horry comes here or not i know that yao ming will be a force next year

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

if barry and horry come for the LLE, i'm all for it... brent barry especially would be great to stretch defenses.

I don't think this has any effect on landry, if his knee checks out, you can still sign all 3.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmm, I would like these two moves...but adding older vets better damn well not be the only moves we make. I like Barry moreso than Horry. He can still shoot, and he can handle the rock...so he would be the perfect role player for our system. Too bad he is so old...but we could use him in crucial moments here and there. Just don't let him take the last shot.......

5. Chamillionaire

BB will help us in many ways, he plays smart, shoots a high percentage, he can help Yao and Tracy play smarter, he fits well with them and also with Battier, Scola, and Rafer.

Not sure if we need Horry, but obviously Morey knows more than me.

6. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Rockets Target Brent Barry
    Rockets Have Concerns About Landry
    Last Edited: Monday, 30 Jun 2008, 11:08 PM CDT
    Created: Monday, 30 Jun 2008, 11:08 PM CDT

Brent Barry FOX 26 News

Related Items
    Links
    More Houston Sports News

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets are not expected to be major players this year during NBA free agency which began at 11:01 Houston time Monday night. However, General Manager Daryl Morey told FOX 26 Sports there is one free agent the club has targeted, guard Brent Barry.

The Rockets made a strong push to sign him earlier this year when he was released by the Spurs but he re-signed with San Antonio where he has spent the last four seasons.

"Brent is someone we have always had our eye on," Morey said. "He was our number one choice during the stretch drive last season. He would likely have joined the Rockets if not for Yao's injury."

"Now we are excited to potentially have him join the club and add to the legacy the Barry family has in Houston."

Barry's brother, Jon, and father, Rick, both played for the Rockets.

Brent Barry is a 13 year veteran who has averaged 9.7 points, 3.3 assists, and 3.1 rebounds a game.

Morey will also take a look at free agent forward Robert Horry.

Horry, who has played the last five years with the Spurs told FOX 26 Sports last week his first choice is to re-sign with San Antonio. However, Horry said if that doesn't work out he would like to return to the Houston Rockets where he played the first four years of his career. He has won two NBA titles with the Rockets and two with the Spurs to go along with the three he won with the L.A. Lakers.

"Robert Horry is one the free agents we will take a look at," Morey said.

Horry is a 16-year veteran who has averaged 7 points and 4.8 rebounds a game.

More important than his numbers, Horry has a resume full of crucial shots and game winners throughout his career.

Also, Morey confirmed he has concerns about the health of forward Carl Landry's right knee that caused him some problems last year. Landry, who is a restricted free agent, can sign with another club, but the Rockets retain the right to match.

However, the Rockets want Landry to have further tests on his knee before they make a large financial commitment.

"Our position is we want Carl back but until we get more information on his knee we can't make a significant investment," Morey said.

Landry averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds during his rookie season in the NBA.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think one person made that suggestion.

8. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Are you guys kidding me!

THIS WOULD BE A GREAT SIGNING.

B. Barry is the tall defensive guard we need.

Plus in Horry we would have a legit 6-10 guy for defensive purposes and who can actually hit a 3 ptr. What a concept!

Horry would give Utah fits!!!!! :D

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

Barry was ballin' in the playoffs. I'd take him in an instant. Horry....not so much.

10. sook

sook Rookie

YES BRING THEM BOTH!!!

I LOVE CAPS!

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It was, having Brent Barry turn up for 25% of the time isn't going to help much either. By the way he only played in 31 regular games in 07-08. There is no guarantee that he will be fit for a playoff run next year.

#131 saleem, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  12. YugoRocketsFan

I feel honored to be the person demoted the fastest :p :D

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

2 year contract is not bad, especially if the Spurs decide to take him back and give us Tiago Splitter, next off season.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

the rockets need shooters around yao and t-mac.. brent barry can hit an open 3 better than most in the NBA. This would be a nice addition if it materializes.

Of course I don't think these are the only guys they are going to be in the mix for in the offseason, but it's a solid start.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Jon Barry sucks and constantly dogs out the rockets on national TV. Every time i see him i think about him doing that stupid hand sign after he hit a 3 while his man ran down court. He angers me so

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If Brent Barry is out first priority, than that means we must have a short free agent list.

18. Classic

Classic Member

What about Ricky Davis? Is there any info anywhere on the Rockets trying to get him?

19. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

I would hope not.

Guys who don't want Barry need to sit and be quiet for awhile. You can only get younger for so long. Eventually once you stockpile enough talent (point we have been at for a year or two now) you have to sign a couple of veterens who have lots of playoff experience to make your push for a championship in a two or three year window. We'll push for I would say two more years and if we don't have a championship by then we will sell TMac to the highest bidder for either young promising plyaer or draft picks and try to rebuild for one last push before Yao is gone (we won't get rid of Yao probably ever because he brings in so much revenue thanks to China).

20. Pueblo

Pueblo Member

I think Morey is just trying to scare other teams away from trying to sign Landry with this so-called concern on his right knee. ;)