1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Like I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sure, Rockets are going to have to sign Dorsey (since he is a second round pick) with what ever is left over from the MLE. Not sure if Dorsey can sign for the LLE. I'm pretty sure that the Rockets don't want whats happening with Landry this off-sesaon to happen with Doresy next off-season. Dorsey will probably have at least a 2 year guarnteed contract with options.

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Oh, alright. I see... but I don't know if signing Barry for more really helps us that much, even if It means saving the LLE for next offseason.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think now the situation is not about money. Barry and the rockets are probably working on the details of his contract. He might want to add several clauses, such as 'no trade', or someting like that.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If that hypothetical scenario plays out and Barry gets 2.5 million, I'd say paying the extra 600k is much better than not signing him at all. Of course, that's a matter of opinion.

5. ClutchCityReturns

You could be right, but it wouldn't be a no-trade clause.

"A "no-trade" clause can be negotiated into an individual contract if the player has been in the NBA for at least eight seasons, and has played for the team with which he is signing for at least four seasons."

Article 85

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

From day 1 I said Maggette was going to a team under the cap. I thought Phily or GS. The Spurs, Celts and Magic had a snowballs chance. (and pretty clear the Spurs front office new it, even if their fans didn't, see how quick the Mason thing happened)

I have yet to see the "field of offers" for Barry. Our chief competition have gone in other directions (Spurs signed Mason--a combo guard directly in Barry's former role, Phx is targeting Lue and others).

It is always possible Barry gets a crazy offer from someone else (4 mil a year) and we lose him, but I don't get the sense he is playing us at all. By all accounted he is sincerely interested, it looks like it will happen. It is also perfectly reasonable for him to wait to see if we can kick in an extra 500K or add an extra year the LLE doesn't have (left over from the MLE).

There is nothing more we can do--I am sure what we have told him is he can have the LLE now and maybe more later, if he wants to wait. Trying to pressure him would be the worst thing, this is a 10 plus year veteran, his paitence and sense on the court is similar to what he is showing in exploring his options with us.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Nice to know this. :)

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

The don't need the MLE or LLE to sign Dorsey to a two year contract. It's not uncommon for second round picks to get non-guaranteed deals but it wasn't good enough for Landry's agent. What's happening with Landry now has all to do with his agent.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Aren't we going to need some of the MLE to sign Dorey?

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Another reason to sign Barry for part of the MLE, instead of the Bi-annual: If we don't use the Bi-annual exception this year, we have it to use next year. They might have already decided that there isn't enough out there for us to use both the MLE and the Bi-annual this year. If we save it for next year, there might be somebody we want to use it on then.

11. csux

csux Rookie

So you missed out the part when Maggette said he's leaning towards signing with the spurs and winning is more important than money?

12. Desert Scar

I doubt the Rockets use part of the LLE or MLE for Dorsey. 2 year guaranteed contracts at the min is usually a very good deal for a 2nd rounder around the league (and gets the rockets EBR rights after the contract). Last year was a fluke thing where he had like 18 roster spots, and it was very unclear if Landry could make the squad at all, and where Landry happened to be the surprise of the draft where he majorly upped his value. That perfect storm is exceedingly unlikely (see most of our other 1st or 2nd round picks of recent years).

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Barry is trying to maximize his last contract, can't blame him...it is his career.

DD

14. csux

csux Rookie

True that, I mean good for him taking care of his family.
    But our fans are anxiously waiting you know. :D

Honestly I think Barry still has a good couple of years left in the tank. I mean he still has plenty of hair, the last Barry we got was all bald.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I got that wrong. The Spurs have 1.9million after signing Mason. Basically match the Rockets offer. The costs of selling & buying property could make a Spurs deal more financially appealing if they offer the rest of their MLE.

That could be what he's waiting for.

The other team rumored to be interested in his services are the Lakers. Barry supposedly wants to move back to California where his family are after he retires from the NBA.

16. Desert Scar

I never bought it for a minute. Barry (and other Barrys) have signed where they want (family, being on a good team) more so than for the most money. That is very unusual for the NBA--but there is a track record there.

Maggette like most players has always signed where the most money is, secondary was going to a better situation. He was just playing the side just in case no significant teams under the cap came into play. Now I didn't think Maggette would get 10 mil a year, but I sure knew he wasn't going to take 5.7 unless that was his only option. Phily was always going to be under the cap, and once Davis opted out GS was too. At that point it was unfathonable to me these teams would let the best URFA left and one who would improve their playoff prospects drammatically get stolen away for a huge bargain MLE to a team like the Spurs, Celts or Magic.

Everything, and I do mean everything, had to fall in place for Maggette to go to the Spurs. Totally different situation here.

And I really think the Spurs signing Mason, a combo guard brought for offense and to back up both guard spots, really means Barry is not in the picture. Could be wrong, but the Spurs don't usually spend more money for something like that (spite the Rockets, unness depth). They are always inward focused (does the move help their finances/team), they gave us Scola remember. And even if the Spurs to want Barry back at 2 mil a year, would Barry want such an unknown role and basically the unappreciated treatment (traded away, then they sign a younger player to do entirely his role).

#676 Desert Scar, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  17. hooroo

hooroo Member

minimum salary exception = max 2 years.
    MLE = max 5 years.

18. csux

csux Rookie

I am never convince with Barry until he sign.
    You know this is the third time (maybe 3rd is indeed a charm) we tried to recruit him? First time being before he went to spurs, second was when he was traded and bought out and now this time is the third. If he likes us so much and want to be with his family. What took him so long >.<

I like him as a player, and think he will be a perfect fit behind tmac+shane, but honestly, I am skeptical on his intension of coming here for less money. Doesn't make any sense. Maybe he just doesn't have any good offer else where.

19. ClutchCityReturns

One moment you mention San Antonio's appeal because of the price of property, then you turn around and mention Los Angeles as a possibility. It seems that if he's considering living cost, he'd stay far away from Los Angeles. Something has got to give.

#679 ClutchCityReturns, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  20. Desert Scar

We lost out to the Spurs, it happened. They had the better team (competiting for rings every year) and probably equal situation otherwise (money/family). Sure looks like the Spurs have moved in a different situation.

The Lakers would concern me some. But he really isn't what they need most--they already have fine shooting, and a vet backcourt. Now if Sasha left, I would get 2 degrees more concerned, but I don't think he is.