1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. rocketshopeful

heard the same thing on 610

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I've read the above post, actually I posted the Suns article saying he'll "probably" wind up in Houston. That's not what I'm wanting, I'm wanting someone to confirm they heard that SR610 News Flash.

3. batkins

Alright, thanks a lot. :)

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Correct. The other team could even front load $1 more than you can match in year 1 and he is history. It is much to our advantage in negotiations with Landry, and hurting Landry's chances with another team, for them to have no idea what our true line is. It is very likely if they go over that line the player won't be worth it (since we know him better than anyone), and if it is under that line they wasted 7 days plus the time with Landry, and maybe helped us getting him cheaper.

RFA status really works against other teams, and that player, in getting maximum bids. Breaking 2 or more million of the MLE makes everything crystal clear for Landry's agent and compitors and basically blows the benifit of him being restricted. That is why team pursuits of RFAs only usually happens when it is a potential star on a team in financial trouble (see maybe Josh Smith) or an older guy with modest upside (Spurs got Elson this way, remember both Elson and Butler when the Spurs played that game ended up flops for them).

I don't think Landry has earned Scola's contract. Scola was a international star who we had to pay enough to come here. Landry had a rookie year where he showed flashes, but he still is nearly 25, has health concerns, and mainly played against back ups (opposing teams didn't even scout him much). Closer to 2 mil a year, what 7th/8th pick rookies get, I hope is what we eventually get him for. 3 year 10 mil contract (Scola's) is pretty scetchy, unless we get a team option in year 3.

One thing nobody mentioned concerns Barry. Lets say he agreed to LLE level with us (2 years 3.9 mil). We can keep that exemption for next year if we use it from a split of our MLE (which you get every year)--but of course to do that we want the Landry thing settled. In other words if Barry-Houston have agreed to 1.9 to say 2.5 million pending other things being settled (Landry), the best thing for both parties is the weight out the Landry thing.

Getting Barry for cheap (the LLE is cheap for a player of that production/efficiency) + Landry for an affordable contract (easier to negotiate with full RFA protected status rather than splitting the MLE early) would be a fine summer. We would still be in position to pick up free agent leftovers surprises (how Jim Jackson landed to us) and have a lot of value contracts for trades.

In other words we have to think "value" as much immediate player impact. We have to nearly next March to really strike if a 3rd scorer/big time player is needed. Nothing we have done so far hurts that aim--thus guys are not available to MLEs anyway, only trades or significant capspace signings.

5. rocketshopeful

from feigen's blog:

(Sounded like it was from the paper in Phoenix. Here's another newsflash. Barry told me he has not decided. -- Jonathan)

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Free agent guard Brent Barry told FOX 26 Sports Thursday, while he has not made a final decision on where he will play this season, the Houston Rockets are at the top of his list.

"I'm further along with Houston than I am with anyone else at this point, " Barry said. "I'm trying to make sure we are on the same page."

"Things are certainly closer to (me) ending up getting down to Houston than it was four or five days ago."

Barry said he is in constant communication with Rockets officials.

"I have visited with (Rockets General Manager) Daryl Morey several times," Barry said. "I have talked with (Rockets Head Coach) Rick Adelman several times."

Morey said earlier this month Barry is the Rockets number one target in free agency.

Barry is a 13-year NBA veteran who played the last four years with San Antonio. The Spurs traded him to Portland last season where he was immediately released.

The Rockets made a strong push to bring him to Houston then, but Barry resigned with San Antonio.

During his career Barry has averaged 9.7 points, 3.3 assists, and 3.1 rebounds a game.

Barry would not divulge the other teams he is talking with, but he said there was never any serious interest on his part to go to Phoenix. The Suns were rumored to be involved with trying to bring Barry to Arizona.

7. HOUastrocketexan

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Free Agent Barry Closer to Joining Rockets
    Last Edited: Thursday, 10 Jul 2008, 3:47 PM CDT
    Created: Thursday, 10 Jul 2008, 3:25 PM CDT
    Brent Barry
    FOX 26 Sports

Free agent guard Brent Barry told FOX 26 Sports Thursday, while he has not made a final decision on where he will play this season, the Houston Rockets are at the top of his list.

"I'm further along with Houston than I am with anyone else at this point, " Barry said. "I'm trying to make sure we are on the same page."

"Things are certainly closer to (me) ending up getting down to Houston than it was four or five days ago."

Barry said he is in constant communication with Rockets officials.

"I have visited with (Rockets General Manager) Daryl Morey several times," Barry said. "I have talked with (Rockets Head Coach) Rick Adelman several times."

Morey said earlier this month Barry is the Rockets number one target in free agency.

Barry is a 13-year NBA veteran who played the last four years with San Antonio. The Spurs traded him to Portland last season where he was immediately released.

The Rockets made a strong push to bring him to Houston then, but Barry resigned with San Antonio.

During his career Barry has averaged 9.7 points, 3.3 assists, and 3.1 rebounds a game.

Barry would not divulge the other teams he is talking with, but he said there was never any serious interest on his part to go to Phoenix. The Suns were rumored to be involved with trying to bring Barry to Arizona.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

what the hell does that even mean? what exactly is such a big question mark? they've obviously offered him money. it says he's spoken with the coach and the gm...what else does he need to know?

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If we lose Brent in the 11th hour, I'm going to be mighty perturbed. It feels like the Rockets rarely get their man, and end up picking from the scrap heap. I think Barry for ~2 million is a heck of an acquisition.

Here's a draftexpress.com profile that I think describes him very well, and highlights why he would fit so well.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brent-Barry-1606/

#649 ClutchCityReturns, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. batkins

Haha, I wrote that question to him.

Man, I wish Barry would just go ahead and sign already.

11. csux

csux Rookie

:mad: :mad:
    basically he got an offer from the Rockets, and he is holding on to it while fielding for other more financially sensible offers.

But hopefully no other team will come and hi-jack him away.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Try reading the last couple of pages of posts to understand the situation better. It is perfectly reasonable from both the Barry side and the Rockets side to let the Landry thing play out--it could be better for all parties.

13. t-mac rockets

t-mac rockets Member

We are so close to sign Barry. Hopefully we do. And I hope we can also get Posey ;)

14. batkins

What? They're not waiting on the Landry situation to conclude for him to sign, if that's what you think.

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Anyone have a recap of these 600+ replies?

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Here's what he meant...

If Barry signs the LLE, he gets 1.9 million. But if he waits for them to sign Landry to say...3.1 million (random figure) then Brent would get the rest of the MLE instead, which would come out to 2.5 million. Also, that leaves the LLE to sign another player, or since you're only allowed to use it every other year, it would save it for next year.

So in the end, Landry signing before Barry is the best scenario for everyone. I would venture a guess that Brent is decided and will come to Houston, and it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens with Landry.

17. csux

csux Rookie

LOL please read the previous pages. Obviously Brent is fielding for other offers, basically he's dangling his offer with houston to other teams and waiting on see if a better offer comes along.

And while you are at it, please see "corey magette" and what he did to the spurs.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think, if LLE is enough to land Barry, it will be unnecessary to offer him 2.5 millions. This concerns the luxury tax.

19. csux

csux Rookie

But this does not eliminate the possibility of him fielding offers from other teams does it? Spurs can still offer 2.2million after signing of Mason using their MLE.

20. csux

csux Rookie

Exactly