1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey begs to differ.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think we've got Barry locked up. San Antonio has moved on and Phoenix is saying they're out. We must have agreed with him and it is a matter of waiting to see how much of the MLE Landry takes to determine whether to give Barry the LLE or the rest of the MLE, whichever is greater. Just guessing reading between the lines here.

3. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Rockets have no thugs Dorsey is a wanna be thug just because a guy is big, dark, black and has a deep unusually accent doesn't make him tough street wise or a thug.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I hope you're right...but then again I don't like not having him inked in. that's just asking for trouble (although I don't doubt brent's moral character, it is business). hopefully he signs today or something. I'm anxious.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

have you watched him play? besides, thug in this case is a term of endearment. :)

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

When they are thugs on your team.. you call them "Beasts" :)

7. safi

safi New Member

Just to expound on this, I don't expect that third scorer to come from FA and I think Morey has said as much. Around the trade deadline we'll have 9 mill. in expiring contracts plus a guy with a s*itload of potential and for a team not in the playoff picture that could be a very appealing package.

8. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Just a head up...on ESPN.com/nba, one of the six flash screens in the middle of the page is Brent Barry / Rumor Central, and the caption is...

In Rumor Central, it looks like the source is already the one we know (Barry Out Of Picture, Suns Still Seek Wing Player), so it's nothing new, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Theres your "Worldwide leader in Sports" coming in last for actual news that doesnt pertain to the New York or Boston areas...

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm going to turn the heat down, but before I let this go, let me say something. I've never said it was a bad idea to sign Barry. All I said was the priority was wrong. Barry is a asset to any team, but sometimes that asset has minuses. Barry of 5 yrs ago have been perfect. Barry of 08 is fools gold. If u match price vs production, I can see it, but the totality is my problem. Let me explain.

Barry gives the team limited to none flexibilty in the lineup. He's too slow to guard 1/2 and he's too small and unatheletic to guard 3's. So what we have is a pressure point on defense as well as another roster spot being held by a 1 or 2 tool player in spots. So he is what he is in SA. The problem is, he's older and slower at a position that really haunts a player when they loose a step. So Barry can backup tracy in certain matchups for about 7mins and Shane aginst certain matchups for about 7 mins which makes him a situational player.

So let me think big and fast forward a little, who does he guard when we play LA,SA,Utah or even NO? So now were kinda back to square 1. Tracy will have to log big minutes in the playoffs again. Shane, who should be playing 25-30 mins is now playing big minutes again. I mean if u don't like Ricky Davis, I can understand that, but doesn't a guy like Mo Evans make more sense and should be a bigger priority? I mean he can guard 2/3 plus he can get to the rim which was a bigger problem than the 3pt shooting. Take Head out the picture and insert Barry against Utah, what changes? When Harpring comes in and start posting him up or Brewer is beating him to the hoop. That's all I'm saying.

The Landry fiasco. Morey is a smart guy and I'm sure he has a value in which he wants to pay Landry. If this is known in Morey's head, why not spend the mle up to that point to get another guy? Let say Morey has a figure like 2.5m and the mle is 5.9m. Why not offer a targeted fa like mo evans or ricky davis 3.4m and leave the 2.5m for landry? At least that way they could fill another hole while waiting on landry. I mean, what if landry holds out like varejo and it carries into the season.Do we wait till then to pursue guys?

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He hits 2 or 3 more shots than him?

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If Morey did that another team could just offer Landry 3m and we'd be unable to match. That 2.5m you set aside on him would go to waste. If we're unable to find a replacement FA for that remaining 2.5m it means we essentially dropped Landry for Evans/Davis. Landry is worth more than either of those guys.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's an upgrade over Bobby Jackson and Luther Head, Lee. For basically the same money as Luther, we now have a guy that we can bring into the lineup for situational offense, when we really need to hit a shot, that is a better shooter than Luther and is skilled enough with the bball to put it on the floor and make a play. We're not looking at Barry as the 3rd scorer or anything more than as a situational player who can give you some points and offensive team cohesiveness and playing against the opponent's second unit, will not hurt you defensively. It's another value play from Morey.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morey pulled off another deal with some of our expirings, like Luther, Loren Woods, and possibly Mike Harris, where he sends them out for one single expiring contract, like Damon Jones or Chuckie Atkins, thereby giving us a roster spot, and also keeping us in expirings to move at the deadline. Brent Barry fits in a lot better in that scenario.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

*per game, since luther hit like 1 shot the entire freaking series.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I bet the average margin of victory in a game is about 2 or 3 shots.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That's what I meant too. Per game. Which is huge. I bet we would've won that series or at least taken it to 7 if we replaced Head with Barry.

17. rockets_fanatic

The key mentioned earlier is that he is an upgrade over Luther Head. This makes Luther Head expendable.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets used the $1.9 million Bi-Annual Exception to sign Barry.

What non-fool's-gold player is available for that specific salary slot? Is Maurice Evans really that guy? Doubt it. Besides, who is to say Evans isn't looking for a bigger salary than was offered to Barry?

Regardless of who you are talking about going after with the MLE (and whatever gets done with Landry), the Bi-annual is a separate deal. So lets leave out guys you think can be had with full or partial MLE out of this conversation.

Because it may not be a matter of a set amount, there is no "set amount." If you think Landry worth is about $3 million, do you want to let him go if it's $3.05 million?

Besides, having the whole MLE available is helpful in driving down the price by scaring off the competition. Even if you won't go 1-cent over $3 million, if you don't show your hand early, it would discourage someone from making an offer at or near that price-- and Landry may have come back and negotiate a lower deal with you. If you show your hand early, you guarantee someone coming in with at $3.01 million offer to steal him.

Also, perhaps Morey's thoughts on Landry's worth is indeed more than $5.5 million, the full MLE. If that's the case, then you definitely keep the MLE for Landry.

One more thing... all your worrying about Ricky Davis being excluded due to the Landry standoff...

Do you see anyone rushing to sign Ricky Davis this offseason? Are we really in danger of losing Ricky Davis in the next week or month?