1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Sam Cassell and PB&J Brown can contribute to a championship run, so can Horry and Barry.

2. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Bring back Sam I Am!

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Dude, Luther will still be around, even if Brent Barry stinks up the joint. Beauty of free agency.

He won't stink though. Dude has a great shot. And isin't one-dimensional and dumb like certain other backup SGs that may have been mentioned in this post. Worst comes to worst, he's a veteran sparkplug, all the leadership and good stuff, so I'm not too worried, especailly given how it'll be nearly impossible to sign some of the other younger agents for the position (Azu, Pieeeetrus etc.) and still be able to have enough for Landray.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's exactly when we need Horry the most, game 7, instead of chokers like Head and Novak.

5. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I just want to see Landry progress his game, he looked so promising last season.

6. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Are tampering charges in order? Free agents can't be contacted until July 1st? Isn't this why Popeye quit posting?

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hopefully we take a pass on Horry. I will always love him for the championship years, but he is a shell of that player and still plays with the same amount of regular season effort

This deal with Landry is either going to scare off other teams (good) or really piss him off (bad)

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Celtics had 3 legitimate stars. Having old players will be the death knell for the Rockets.

9. Stilldream'n34

I wouldn't read too much into this. Rockets are trying to discourage other teams of signing him to a large offer sheet so we can sign him for cheaper. Funny this comes out hours away from free agency. If it were a true concern they have had from the time the season ended to today to have it checked out. Besides Landry has said this is where he wants to be and Morey has said they will match all along. They are just hoping to sign him to the cheapest respectable contract in order to have money for other free agent signings

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

That was my first thought as well.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm going to go ahead and trust that Morey knows what he's doing.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

When he hurt his knee during the streak everyone wanted him to get back asap because we felt we had a shot to challenge, you would have thought they would have looked at everything to make sure it was healthy and figure out the problem.

This sounds a lot like the Spurs & Batum's heart condition thing or whatever.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I have heard Shawn Kemp and Alan Houston are in good shape. Morey should give them a call too.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Morey is teaching Buddy Baker how the game is played. This is nothing to be concerned over.

15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Johnathan Bender and Jay Williams should come play for us too.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They have Duncan who still is way better than Yao.
    They have Ginobili and Parker who individually aren't better than McGrady but form a trio who can still play for some years.
    We have gotten better with Scola and Landry,we can't afford old players who are better than just junk players like Head. At least Hayes is athletic enough to pllay some defense.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

As if having Luther Head missing open 3 three's for two years in the playoff wasn't a death knell?

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

NBA Negotiating handbook:

Unrestricted free agent? Sweet talk 'em.
    Restricted free agent? Bad mouth 'em.

Morey can tear Landry to shreds... then match. The goal is to get him for as cheap as possible. I'm sure also that they are not going to make anything easy on Landry's agent, who they have had problems with. They are forcing him to go out and get a deal to match... or jump through hoops to get the Rockets to determine the market on him.

It's a smart business move... we'll have to see though if it's a bad move in making Landry bitter (though that didn't seem to affect him as a rookie after last year's tense negotiations).

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I rather Keep Landry, but if we don't resign him, and go after Horry and or Barry, I rather go with Brent Barry.

Brent Barry can play some point guard, plus shoot threes.

Not only that, he is JON BARRY's brother. Jon Barry is pretty damn cool.

20. YugoRocketsFan

We need both, Horry is a good luck charm and Barry can come out and score a lot of points at any time.