1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

at least trade landry so we can get something in return. maybe a couple of picks?

2. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Lol great move by the Rockets they will resign Landry they're trying to lower his value so he won't get a outrageous deal they would have to match in free agency.

3. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think Morey is pulling a Joe Dumars here. He knows teams dont have money and no one wants to commit to more than 2 years due to the strong FA class in 2009 and 2010. So he is waiting for someone to make CLandry a small offer and they simply match.

I say $ 4mil @ 3 yrs is reasonable.

J

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think this is a right move. Yao, Tamc, Battier and Scola all don't even have the experience to pass the 1st round. The rockets need Barry and Horry's championship experience.

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I hope this is a terrible misunderstanding by the OP. Somebody else see the report?

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I think Morey is trying to scare off other teams with the knee injury talk. Theoretically, shouldn't they know EVERYTHING about his knee by now?

7. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I'm ok with Barry cause he can shoot, pass on Horry

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Man...it's the MLE, on a team clearly designed to win now, do you really want to LOL through Pietrus' "prime" or watch Gerald Green play garbage minutes?

Point is, considering the relative low price and the depth/leadership Barry and Horry would bring...I mean playoff expirience is overrated, but you can't deny that having both on board would help loads.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I really hope you are right here.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes it is very worrying,but chasing an old and semi-worthless Brent Barry is down right dumb.He is the next "Battier" like pick but without any defense.
    We know the Rockets don't have any money but taking one step forward and one step backward is down right stupid,even if he can shoot.

We are never going to make any progress this way. The Rockets had no choice but to fill up the rest of the roster with Sura,John Barry,and Wesley and they did well but we got murdered by the speed and youth of the Mavs in Game 7 by 40 points.

I know he helped the Spurs out in the playoffs and could have gotten a foul in his favor but it was age and the injury to Ginobili which provided fatal for them. Head is no good but we will be the laughing stock of the league when someone flattens us out in the 1st round with Barry as our SG even as a backup for Tracy.McGrady's injury history is another reason not to go for Brent Barry.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horry actually makes it past the first round. Steve Francis is here to make fans happy, Horry is here to win championships.

12. Triplicate

Triplicate Contributing Member

Landry will be re-signed regardless of his knee condition. Barry is a good replacement for Head while we wait for the Jackson/Francis contracts to get attractive midseason. I know everybody wants the big splash but a healthy Rockets team is the #1 seed in the western conference last year. We don't need much.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Barry is okay. But Barry has one year player option left on his contract with the Spurs.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

While I agree Barry/Horry aren't my first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choices; most young players go where the money is instead of choosing the better fit or team with the best championship aspirations. You also never know how the younger players will take the pressure of the playoffs and be dependable. This sounds like a very Morey move...low risk, decent reward.

15. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Planting the seed of Landry's knee could also scare away suitors.

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Yeah, Landry's return is in doubt -- he could get an offer Morey's unwilling to match. But, it's always been that way. It's no more in doubt now than before.

I read that as Morey just wants to determine his value before they make any decisions on how to spend the mid-level. Sounds like a good idea.

17. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Don't worry, guys!
    The talk about Landry is a trick to scare off other bidders.

That said, I actually don't like the tactic personally. Imagine what Landry would feel. I say we lose Landry after this season, as he would be so pissed.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

All I've seen is that the Rocks have targeted Barry, and we don't know what they are offering. Could be the LLE... could be part of the MLE. That depends a lot, obviously, on how much money Barry thinks he needs versus signing here with Houston. The Rockets insist on a really thorough examination of Landry's knee before making an offer. This is a surprise? The surprise would be if they didn't insist on that. Novak was signed to his second year option. The way Morey described him made the guy sound like he was going to be part of a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually went somewhere in a deal.

What's all the uproar about? And I didn't see anything yet about Horry. Anyone else see anything in the media?

19. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

we aren't the spurs. why try to be like them...duncan, parker, and gino make barry look better than he probably is..and robert horry is just a guy for the clutch playoff shots that we were never in the position for in the past playoffs anyways because we bombed in game 7s

20. RocketsBoy23

RocketsBoy23 Member

People this is great!!!

The spurs won 4 titles in 9 years with these guys people say the spurs are old but yet they keep winning with these old guys luther head is garbage chuck hayes is garbage