1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets offer Barry 2 year contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

why is Barry dropped? If elite teams like Celts, Spurs, Phenoix wants him, i'm sure he could do a job with Seattle. Saying that, i think they made an agreement where Barry will resign with Spurs.

2. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I guess he managed to crack into the spurs rotation by being a horrible defender for all these years....

3. MONON

MONON Member

Well of course they did! However Barry isn't an idiot's idiot like Stack is. Nothing about the "gentleman's agreement" was even hinted, so it's legal. Now does Barry want to come back to a team that has tried to trade him several times recently or help another team reach a 54 game winning streak?

By the way, a 54 game winning streak for us means that SI has to put out another "Houston Rockets Souvenir Issue". :D

4. BigRox11

BigRox11 Member

I am curious about why Seattle letting Berry go. Anyone has an idea?

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's currently the first hit/article if you search "Brent Barry" in Google News.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's an expiring contract, a vet who they have no playing time for, and they needed to create an open roster spot/ waive a player before they could make the cavs/bulls trade.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

If he's comitted elsewhere the teams not including the Rockets or Spurs. The other teams that reportedly are interested are Celtics, Suns, Nuggets, and Golden State.

If true then for the record Daryl Morey's 0-2 in his free agent dealings. Each time he's made some pretty bold statements in the media. Maybe he needs to try a low key approach next time...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/23/barry_is_generating_interest/

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow alot of teams want Barry and at first appearances SA with their MLE available would have the inside track. I mean Barry’s preference would have been to stay with SA. His family is entrenched in SA and he wants to be on a championship team. And there is the opportunity for more money with the MLE. But I would have to say I like our chances.

First off as others have said San Antonio has no intention of paying Luxury tax money. Everything they’ve done season is with the MLE in mind. I doubt they change that with Barry. By offering Barry the max available for a veteran player they still can avoid this.

Also he wants to play for a championship team and I know many will say watch out for the spurs come playoff time. But realistically they aren’t as good as last year and the league is better.

Thirdly the key is HE WANTS TO PLAY for a championship NOT SIT. San Antonio wasn’t playing him much before he got injured. Udoka had beaten him out and with Ginoboli and Bowen and Finley taken up almost all of the remaining minutes at SF/SG he wasn’t going to get much more than spot minutes. Why would Barry return when he lost his rotation spot to Udoka. The Spurs can't play 5 guys at SG/SF position regularly especially in the playoffs.

Finally he has no loyalty towards SA. Barry has been shopped every year by Popovich. Ever since SA signed him and started off with that terrible shooting slump they've been looking to trade him. Once pop called him and told him he had been traded for JR Smith and then called him a few minutes later and told him forget it meet them at the airport for a road game. I honestly doubt Barry returns to SA to sit around.

Now the question is with all the suitors out there why would he choose Houston. Well he almost chose Houston before. He wants to play for another championship and clearly the Rockets are now a player in that elite group. His family likes SA and Houston is as close as you can get. The family can drive up and visit him on weekends when the Rockets are in town. He will get a chance to take minutes Behind Battier and Tmac. His brother has nothing but great things to say about Houston. And finally we have the wild card. Chucky Hayes has a shoe contract.

#108 Old Man Rock, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't understand this. We are offering a 2 year contract. Granted it will be the vet's min. but I think Barry would be wise to accept a 2 year offer at this point with all of his injuries. I would imagine the Rockets will have the most attractive offer since I think we will be the only one offering the second year.

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

yeah and plus he'd want to go to a contender. Who does he think has a better chance at a ring? Boston or Houston? Right now, I think Houston is on fire and has just as good a chance as Boston if not better.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Hmm, nobody mentions his size. Doesn't that make him a much better entry passer than Head? With his shooting touch and size, I could see a little 2-man game between him and Yao. Post-repost/Barry's 3.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I emailed "The Rocket Guy" about his article where he claimed Barry has already committed to another team and he wrote back the "Suns"...

13. cujo

cujo Member

Barry would be another high IQ basketball player that can hit the threes and slash. He definitely would make that bench stronger. We have seen the Rockets as a whole go into slumps that allow other teams to come back. Barry along with B Jackson, can change this with their shooting. I think if the Rockets sign this guy, they will have a more complete arsenal.

14. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

He could play a Doug Christie role(in terms of ballhandling and passing) in Houston. His shooting is a MAJOR plus. I think he'd fit perfectly with RA's playing style.

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

it's possible, no telling what goes on behind the scenes during these trade agreements... barry's smart enough not to talk about it the way stackhouse did

16. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Pro basketball: Agent says Barry still contemplating next move

Web Posted: 02/22/2008 11:44 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
    Express-News Staff Writer

It's too early to tell whether Brent Barry's recent wild ride on the transaction wire will wind up with him back in San Antonio, the guard's agent said Friday.

The Spurs traded Barry, along with Francisco Elson and a first-round pick in 2009, to Seattle on Wednesday in exchange for veteran forward Kurt Thomas. The SuperSonics waived Barry immediately, rendering him a free agent and fueling speculation that the guard might re-sign with the team that had just traded him.

Barry's agent, Arn Tellem, said Friday that Barry is still in the early stages of weighing his next move.

“At this point, we've just been informed he's been released,” Tellem said. “We haven't even begun to think about the next step.”

Under league rules, Barry would have to wait 30 days before re-signing with the Spurs — time off that would seem to fit him, considering he's still recovering from the calf injury that has sidelined him since Jan. 26.

Barry, who averaged 7.3 points and shot 43 percent from the 3-point line in 29 games with the Spurs this season, is expected to garner interest from other contending teams, including Phoenix and Houston.

The Spurs, who haven't spent their mid-level exception, could offer more money than either of those clubs. However, if Barry were to sign for the pro-rated veteran minimum, it would leave the Spurs below the luxury tax threshold.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...tories/MYSA022308_SpursBarry.en.1c75977f.html

17. rocketsmetalspd

We will soon find out this coming Tuesday; it is the day he can sign with any team he wants to go to.

18. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Arn Tellem is Tracy's agent too. I know it's a professional relationship, but maybe Tmac can lobby Tellem to sign Barry with the Rox

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

i thought it was today? he was waived thurs, 48hrs to clear waivers...

20. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

How are you not couting Steve Francis as a free agent Morey signed. No it hasnt worked out, but there were several teams that wanted Francis (Heat, Clips, Mavs) but Morey got it done.

Second, whats wrong with bold statements. A lot of these guys want to feel wanted. All Morey did was say we are going after him because we really think he can help. How is that a bad thing.