1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets offer Barry 2 year contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually, I look at this a different way. Head will be able to learn a lot from a veteran like Brent Barry. Barry is perfect for this team, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think he resigns with the Spurs, but if we get him, we will be deadly.

Luther losing minutes isn't a bad thing...Barry is a much better decision maker with the ball

3. RocksMillenium

Why buyout Francis? He isn't making that much money so it's going to basically cost the Rockets the same money to keep him or buyout him out. Just keep him and give him a run in training camp.

4. RocksMillenium

He can't re-sign with San Antonio for 30 days. And he wouldn't be eligible for the Spurs playoff roster. Also, people are assuming the Spurs will want to re-sign him. If the Spurs re-sign him they go over the luxury tax.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Now that I did not realize...

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I knew about the 30 days, but I didn't know about him being ineligible for the playoffs. Nice!

7. RocksMillenium

Yeah, I can't remember the exact date, but you have to sign with a team sometime in early March to be eligible for the postseason. If you sign after that you would be eligible to play the rest of the regular season but would not be eligible for the postseason.

8. babydill

babydill Member

I just pray he can stay healthy. Glad to see we are making a push for him. Guys like him and Kurt Thomas are the guys I REALLY want. More so than a JKidd or Shaq. Got my fingers crossed. :D

9. RocksMillenium

It's a nice bonus in our favor! ;)

10. RocksMillenium

You have to sign with a team by March 1st to be eligible for the postseason rosters.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not sure about. I think Feigen or Blinebury would have mentioned it if its true.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

A player waived before March 1 is eligible for the playoffs but he doesn't have to sign until the playoff roster deadline which is April 15.

If the Spurs sign him, like everyone else the amount is prorated so after 30 days even less. They can afford to offer the vet's min without paying luxury tax.

13. RocksMillenium

It's true, from ESPN

For a waived player to be eligible for the playoffs, they have to be with their new team by MARCH 1ST.

14. RocksMillenium

Actually, I think you're right, I might be wrong, this rule might be in place for players who are waived AFTER March 1st. That being said, a team can claim him off the waiver wire but, if it's like baseball, they would have to absorb his contract.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Manna from Heaven.

That has got to be a decided advantage for choosing the Rox over the Spurs.

Push that button Morey, git er done. Make sure that you fly in brer Jon on your recruiting trip.

16. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Source?

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant do you have a link?

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Has any team ever claimed a player off waivers? Or a player with a significant contract I should ask

19. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

This is wrong. Only players waived after March 1 are not eligible. Barry was waived before March 1 so he's free to sign with any team and be eligible to be placed on the playoff roster he signed with including the Spurs.

20. liangqj

liangqj Member

If we can add Barry in playoff, that is wonderful.
    Morey, come on.