1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offer $30 million to J Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Jul 4, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Look. When we officially make Asik the offer and he signs it on July 11, we will have had to turned loose of Lee's cap hold. Get it?

There's no room in the inn for Lin right now. I've considered the possibility of some sort of trade. But nothing makes sense. Knicks sending out 5 guys to get Nash??? If that goes through, they have a ton of roster spots open. The only thing they got left to trade is Amare. You want Amare?

The only way I see a deal happening for Lin is if we somehow push a couple players like Lowry and Scola to the Knicks for Amare. And then it would probably have to be a multi-team deal, sending Lowry to Toronto and Scola to NY and getting back Amare and a future first round draft pick. Then the Knicks could possibly execute a S&T of Lin to us since they got a PG in Nash and aren't interested in Lin anymore because we got them out of cap hell. That's the only way I can see a S&T working. And all that mess blows up any chance of attaining Dwight and we are stuck with knobby knees for 3 seasons mucking up our cap.

Attaining Lin is just not doable right now.

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I just want Dragic back.....

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets clear out all non-guaranteed salary on their roster (and I mean ALL of it), they can afford to make both the Asik offer and a Lin offer in the area of what is being rumored (in the thread title). It's possible. No roster charges need be added to team salary, since the Rockets would have 12 players under contract:

1) Martin
    2) Scola
    3) Asik
    4) Lin
    5) Lowry
    6) Patterson
    7) Lamb
    8) Morris
    9) White
    10) Jones
    11) Brockman
    12) Parsons

That said, I agree that the Knicks (namely, James Dolan, who's too trigger-happy to know any better) are likely to match any offer for Lin, even if they go after Nash. Luxury tax be damned!

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not true. They want both and would rather match anyway so they dont lose him for nothing. He has value.

5. supa

supa Contributing Member

Actually if we cut Livingston and the other Buck guy, not sign the rookies and renounce Goran we would have enough to make the 7.5 Mil offer to Lin and the Asik offer, by my math.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

guess you didn't get.

we haven't renounced yet. lee is still holding the cap space NOW, NOW, NOW. dragic is in same category as lee NOW. we can renounce dragic right to open up cap space too but we haven't done it yet.

if asik and lin both sign offer sheet on 11th, we might have to renounce both lee and dragic. if just one of them sign offer sheet, we need dump one, either lee or dragic.

7. jopatmc

Bima,

there is no way we are cutting loose of birds rights on Goran to offer Lin a deal that is going to be matched. That's the height of stupidity and Morey ain't stupid. So, with that being the case, we have no way to offer Lin that deal. No way. All this mess with Lin coming to town, it's all a big show. But there's nothing to it until the Knicks trade for Nash and if Goran signs a deal somewhere else.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can't they just match and be ready to move him by year three? Of course, there would have to be a taker. Same thing with Asik...

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

see other responses? there are tons of possibilities. morey knows what he is doing.

10. jopatmc

Name one possibility of acquiring Lin in a S&T and paying him $30 million over 4 years. Name the deal. And don't repeat the Amare option I laid out either. That's about the only one possible. And it's simply not worth it. Morey won't do it.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

theoretically, yes you can. but who wants to take a bloated contract.

12. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Agreed

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

who said S&T? i am talking about signing offer sheet and how to open up cap space. where did S&T come up?

14. jopatmc

Ok, let's go that route.

Do you really think Morey is going to drop Goran's birds rights to offer Lin a 4-year $30 million contract that NY has already said they are going to match?

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he gets matched, the Rockets could un-renounce Bird Rights on Dragic.

The only issue would be the relationship damage.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Assuming the premise that the Rockets will not have both Dragic and Lin on the roster next season, it is not a matter of completely foregoing Dragic's Bird rights to make an offer to Lin.

It's a matter of losing Dragic's Bird rights for 3 days, max.

Either (a) the Knicks don't match and Lin comes to Houston or (b) the Knicks do match and the Rockets rescind their renouncement of Dragic, thereby once again retaining Dragic's Bird rights.

If Dragic gets a concrete offer prior to July 11 that he wants to accept and is outside of the Rockets' comfort zone, he's gone anyway. And if Dragic honestly thinks he's got a chance to get the best deal possible from Houston, he'll wait the (maximum of) 3 days it will take to get his Bird rights back.

Regardless, I think the primary goal here with the Lin visit/offer is to get Dragic back to the table.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i don't think morey wanted to go that route but dragic forced him to take other direction. dragic as media reported asked a contract starting at 10 mil. so you can imagine what the average of his asking price could be over the length of the contract. average should be over 11 mil.

18. jopatmc

Sure. Now do you think that is going to happen? Goran is making his visits NOW! He's going to be decided by July 11 what he's going to do. We're never going to get there.

And my point is Morey is dancing on some thin ice, maybe to only save $1 million per season or so over the next 4 years. I simply don't think it's worth it in Dragic's case. I will acknowledge Morey has access to more data and therefore he is the expert on values, etc. But if we lose Dragic over $1-2 million per season, I'm going to have a lot of questions.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't tell me that, man. I had too much fun writing it!

20. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Bima,

Two questions. I see that Leuer, Simpson, G. Smith, Fortson and Livingston are included in "clearing out all non-guaranteed salary", but...

Where would Montiejunas fall in this? I assume the Rockets would still have to move Martin or Scola most likely to bring him aboard then?

And two, do you have any knowledge (or opinion) of what exactly was offered to Dragic? We saw reports of "Lin being offered a similar contract to what Dragic turned down"....