1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' Non-Guaranteed Contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Sep 19, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As we draw near to the opening of training camp (and as I am rather bored), I thought that I would bring everyone's attention to the Rockets' collection of roster additions/training camp invitees with non- (or partially) guaranteed contracts. The players below are listed in order of guaranteed contract amount, with full salary in parentheses. All players' salaries are fully guaranteed if they do not clear waivers by January 10, 2011. All salary/contract information courtesy of www.shamsports.com.

Ishmael Smith ($473,604): $50,000 guaranteed. Also signed for 2011-12 (fully non-guaranteed).

Antonio Anderson ($762,195): $25,000 guaranteed IF not waived prior to October 26th. Also signed for 2011-12 (fully non-guaranteed).

Mike Harris ($854,389): $10,000 guaranteed IF not waived prior to October 22nd. Currently eligible to be traded.

Alexander Johnson ($885,120): Fully non-guaranteed. Currently eligible to be traded.

Jordan Eglseder ($473,604): Fully non-guaranteed, for this season and 2011-12.

While I know many here are aware of these signings, I didn't know if people were aware of the relative guaranteed and required waiver dates. This post may help explain the Rockets' reasoning when people ask, "Why did Mike Harris get cut before Jordan Eglseder?" or other similar questions.

Enjoy!

3 people like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was wondering about this. Not losing sleep over it, but an idle thought did cross my mind... what do these cats make and how is it structured? Thanks for letting us know. Who do you think has the best shot of sticking, if the ones who can be aren't traded?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cuz Mike Harris is handsome and Jordan Eglseder is the human Chris Kaman?

[​IMG]

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Only Mike Harris can be traded? How is trade eligibility determined?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Alexander Johnson can be, too. I think this has to do with the "recently signed player" trade restriction-- which also applies to, for example, Brad Miller.

6. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Bima,

Thanks for the info. The only guy I see as having a very slim shot of making the squad is Ish Smith if we make another move and decide to keep a PG#3 on the roster (Morey previously stated that he wanted to keep a PG#3). Also, now with our knowledge of how Yao will be limited, we know that having a legit C#3 is now higher up on the priority list.

1. Do you think the Rockets are trying to move Hill since he could be the legit 3rd string center? I know you've stated that Morey is much higher on PatPat than Hill.
    2. Is there any sort of option on these non-guaranteed contracts to convert them into NBDL contracts? I doubt any of these guys are on the radar of many teams and a move down to our NBDL seems like the most logical step.
    3. What money would be used to sign a Dampier/Mbenga/etc? Is that part of the MLE? How does that affect the cap?

Thanks again and happy new year.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I am curious on how and when these non-guaranteeds get paid. Do they get paid monthly taking their annual and dividing by 12? Does their pay start the moment they sign the contract or does their pay start once the season starts?

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

To answer your questions:

1. While I don't think they're on a mission to trade Hill or anything, if they end up getting Dampier or Fesenko, I think the Rockets would be well-advised to get some value for Hill before his stock plummets (for better or worse, his stock will fall if he doesn't get PT, even if he's improved). Frankly, if I could get a first round pick with limited lottery protection from a likely lottery team (say, top-7 protected?), I'd have to think long and hard about the salary relief there. But that's just my opinion.

2. No, they cannot do that. Also, no one thought any other teams would have interest in Garrett Temple a year ago at this time. Now, the Spurs have him under contract for this season.

3. Most likely, the Rockets will use their Biannual Exception ($2.08M) on Dampier or Fesenko, as opposed to the remainder of their MLE ($1.365M). If both turn them down, then Mbenga probably gets offered the league minimum.

Here's a good story from ESPN's TrueHoop that may be illustrative in answering your query:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/19913/a-big-man-in-laker-camp

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Bima, could you contact me by e-mail to discuss the upcoming collective bargaining agreement? From what I've seen around these parts, you've got quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. I'll be doing a game theoretic analysis of the agreement for class this semester, so I'd appreciate any help you'd be willing to give on the subject.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Dude, all of my CBA knowledge is gleaned from one place:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Just read that entire page a couple of times, and you'll be golden.

Good luck with your class project.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Cool, thanks for that resource. It will definitely prove useful.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, BT, for the knowledge.

Two questions:

Why the disparate gross dollars on Harris and Johnson?

If Rox were to give up on Hill then why would a Lotto bound team offer up a potential #1, as high as the #8 of Hill's draft-past? I do believe the man had better get some court time and do something positive with it or he'll be a virtual give-a-way. In your estimation, since JH may get time at the 5 (if no Damp/Fez) might there also be time given PP at the 3?

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Johnson has more years of service in the league than Harris. Hence, the higher minimum salary for Johnson.

As for Hill, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because he was selected #8 overall doesn't mean that the Rockets have to hold out for an offer that will never come in order to trade him. The fact remains, if he doesn't get on the court much next season, his value will only go down. Hopefully (for him), he'll play his way into the rotation.

And, no, I don't see Patterson getting minutes at the 3. I think nearly 100% of those minutes will go to Shane Battier, Chase Budinger, Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Martin ... at the 3???

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

If Adelman decides to go small against opposing defenses with Brooks, Lowry and Martin in the same lineup. Those three play WAY too many minutes for that lineup to NEVER happen.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yeah, OK.

BTW - I (and probably uniquely just I???) see JJ getting some 'stopper' minutes at 3 and 4.

Even with Yao's 24 there are too few minutes available to guys worthy of seeing the court. (Gee can't we get a super-studley for three never-to-be-used superfluous pieces? Please???)