1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to mirror early 90's Pistons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha Play Maker, Jul 1, 2000.

1. Tha Play Maker

You know, i watched the draft and like everyone else, I was pretty ticked off with the selections the Rockets made. But not because of some of the reasons others were upset about.

When I look at the Rockets, the backcourt is what stands out about this team. It's obviously the future of this organization. You have three guys who are great runners and work very well with each other. As the chemistry builds, they will only get better.

Now, the thing that disturbs me the most about the picks is not because they're shooters or that they're not the "high profiled" types of players we all wish we drafted. It's that they seem like wimps. Two younger versions of Matt Bullard. That is NOT good.

When I look at the Rockets, they have the same type of backcourt the Pistons had back in the early 90's. In what they may be lacking in smarts to Isiah and Joe, they balance that with the athletcism they bring to the court. They will get better as the years go on, but they need guys who are going to do the dirty work for them. Be the tree's in the middle of the lane making every guy who beats Francis or Mobley off the dribble (though that's highly unlikely) think 2 or 3 times about settling for a 15 footer instead of trying to drive to the hoop and being decapatated.

Cato is possibly one of these such guys. He can look mean, I dont know if that means he IS mean, but he has the potential to be an intimidator in the lane.

The Rockets need more big guys who are aggressive, mean and out to protect the stars on this team. Guys like Charles Oakley come to mind when I think of front court players who would be perfect role players for the Rockets. Not just defensive minded players, but guys who can clean up on the offensive boards and who'll set nasty picks for Stevie, Mobes and Shandon.

This back court is young and vulnerable right now. But adding tough veteran front court players is crucial if this team is looking for a championship run anytime soon.

------------------
    Know you role...Cuttino! Pass the damn rock to Stevie, fool.

2. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

We seemed to play pretty well together at the end of the season. Why? Because Rudy had Walt at the 4 and his outside shooting and ability to put the ball on the floor created serious problems for the other team. It appears that Rudy decided that a bigger version of Walt is what we needed. That way we wouldn't get abused on the defensive end. So let's check it out and see if it works before we sign Rodman. And another thing; Why in the hell would we want to be the Bad Boys 2? I would rather lose than be thought of as a team of thugs.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

3. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Where you been Playmaker??? Long time since you posted.... Oh I know. Playing ball with Shah....

I think we need to give the draft choices a chance before we stereotype them as the next Matt Bullard. I think they will bring more to the table than Matt.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.