1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Mention - Your Second Favorite Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DesiDishoom, Aug 21, 2009.

1. DesiDishoom

DesiDishoom Contributing Member

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-43-69/Your-Second-Favorite-Team.html

Two of the TrueHoop writers list the Rockets as the team that they watch when their first choice team isn't playing. The general perception of the team is one that utilizes its underpaid and undervalued players to their fullest, and makes a winning formula out of it. Good to hear it from someone other than the hardcore Rockets fans.

Kevin Arnovitz, TrueHoop/Clipperblog
    Most of us bristle at Jerry Krause's contention that players don't win championships -- organizations do. Krause's claim might have been overstated, particularly in the case of the Jordan-era Bulls. That said, there's a grain of truth embedded deep inside his axiom. An NBA franchise isn't just a collection of players and contracts -- it's also a collection of ideas.

Innovation doesn't happen by accident. It's the result of creative individuals who take risks. The Houston Rockets' boldness is changing the way we understand the NBA game. There's a reason the plucky Rockets managed to overcome devastating injuries to their marquee players and still push the NBA champions to the brink of elimination. The entire organization, from ownership to management to the coaching staff, down to the players bought into a common philosophy, one built not on assumptions about the game, but on a devotion to empirical truths. This practice maximizes the talents of those (limited, but resilient) players.

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop
    This is the team that challenges the way things have always been done, and over the last couple of years it has been almost comical how they continue to get massive contributions from a rotating cast of role players, second-rounders and discards -- from Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks to Von Wafer and Chuck Hayes.

Is there any doubt that Trevor Ariza and David Andersen will be on that list soon?

2 people like this.
  2. redao

redao Member

Adelman is a genius.

3. alethios

alethios Member

Bummer they won't be on national TV. I'm sure it's all about ratings but when you don't have star power, you don't get the eyeballs.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Oscar Robertson said something similar years ago about the importance of management to winning championships. Some people just look at the players, and maybe the coaches, and think that's all there is to it. There are probably a few cases where exceptional talent can overcome poor management but it usually starts at the top, especially in cases of long-term success.

The Detroit Red Wings are the best example I can think of, even better than the Spurs. While the Spurs have had Duncan for the majority of their semi-dynasty, the Red Wings have continually turned late round picks into key players on championship-level teams. They have excellent ownership, management, scouting and coaching and it trickles down from the top into the product on the ice year after year.

I really like the idea of the Rockets building their own winning philosophy. It may take years to materialize but it's better than running in circles, constantly looking for short-term success.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If Tracy McGrady somehow has a monster start to this season, then we will get national TV sometime later.

And if we have a decent season, we'll be picked to be the dark horse of the playoffs.

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Try tellin that to Drayton Mclaine :(

7. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Kevin Arnovitz is a sweetheart.

1 person likes this.
  8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I believe this is a reference to the Astros organization. :)

It is good to know that some people are doing detailed analysis to figure out how the Rockets are succeeding. Most writers look at the Rockets and don't see a "superstar" and say we don't have a chance. Remember during the 22 game streak after about 8 games everyone kept saying "they will lose the next one". Well statistics were on their side but intelligence wasn't (Barkley).

To understand this team you really have to follow them. At the beginning of the playoffs last year I had some discussions with some friends and they said we would lose to Portland. The reason was "they don't have home court". So they think it is that simple huh? Of course we would get swept by the Lakers. That didn't happen either.

The Rockets are a difficult team to figure out so I'm glad some people are attempting to do so by going under the surface. I think we will be a lot better this year than people think. Think TEAM!

9. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Thats what I'm talking about.
    Love it.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's interesting that the two TrueHoop bloggers (Arnowitz seems to be the fill-in when Henry Abbot is busy) are the ones that chose the Rockets.

I don't get why the Warriors are so popular.

11. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Yeah. I feel like Trevor Ariza and David Andersen are going to come up big. Like its almost expected because we've seen so many no name players become key contributors.

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice find. Some lettuce for you.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey I just turned my first member from grey to green. cool.

15. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Ariza was considered god when with the Lakers, and for some reason as soon as the Rockets signed him, a good percentage of the sports writers are discounting his contributions to the championship.

I like what these guys wrote here though. I feel like Ariza and Andersen will bring it. It's going to be a fun season to watch, I dont care what any of these pessimists have to say about it.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

u dont c that teh gm of da team darrell morray only loves scrubs he is like jvd only fatter.

fat jvd no love talent and geek bloggers love him only cuz he talks to them unlike legit gms who hang with cool atheletes in da clubs and u see him in in-da-mix.com and ****. u don't realize our team is now full of geeks. ah I hate them more than utah.

darrel murray is trash like hitler and it's his way or the high way just look at freedom fighters who had to leave the team like snyder and bonzi cuz murray can't handle men who dont follow his orders blindly.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Who are you and what did you do with Carl Herrera?

18. Arnibicus

Arnibicus Member

nice find...this guy should post more :D

19. DesiDishoom

DesiDishoom Contributing Member

Probably because they kicked the snot out of the Mavs (who everyone hated that season, and who we perpetually hate) and the effects of that sports-crush still linger.

sweeeet, you're the man.

20. thino

thino Contributing Member

i love it! :cool: