1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets meeting with Javale McGee Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just my guess here, we don't get Butler -> we get Brown from Boston instead of Smart and pick/s for Philly.

Or maybe we would just keep for ourselves Smart, pick/fillers and use the no tax MLE on a potential starting 3 or JaMaychal and slide PJ at the 3...

Bearius Jones, Deuce and saleem like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Brown seems out of our reach. Smart is gonna be tough to acquire, unless the Celtics can't re-sign Al. They could also sign Javale, and decline to acquire Clint. I like JaMychael, but I like Aminu a bit more with his experience and determination.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Al is gone at this point, and while i agree with you Brown shuld be a long shot, i don't think so about Smart, Celtics have a ton of guards, Smart just hasn't the same value of Capela, and if they want to get Clint at this point they have to move salary.

4. JW86

JW86 Member

I actually hope we trade Capela for a player and then replace him with:
    1. Lopez
    2. Looney
    3. DJ
    4. WCS

5. saleem

I would welcome Smart. His presence would make it easier to move Gordon. I like Eric but I'm willing to see him going to Indiana, if they want him.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

If we don't get Jimmy i'd like to keep Eric, but we need to be able to extend him, if he's not signing an extension it means he's not willing to stay here imo, at that point we need to trade him and get something back.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You can get production from the center position for a lot less money than what you pay Capela. Use that money at more important positions.

Richie_Rich and saleem like this.
  8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

What about Dwight Howard!

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I hope Clint likes purple

10. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Just say no to dwightmare 2.0

saleem and RyanB like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, no JaVale MeGee is the BAE candidate imo. Maybe the MLE if Capela is shipped out. He can do most of
    what Capela does (Lobs/roll to rim/Dunks/Blocks/Rebs/Screen) at a fraction of what Capela gets paid.

And it doesn’t hurt so much when you sit him because teams went to a small ball lineup.

This is all contingent on how much money is freed up with a Capela/Gordon trades for SnT eventually involving
    Jimmy Butler. LeBron opted out in the decision I believe going to Miami......later allowed to opt in for the SnT
    after Cavs owner blasted LeBron in a page long newspaper ad saying LeBron would not win a championship
    before the Cavs would.

Unless rules have changed......Jimmy Butler can opt back in for a SnT.

12. saleem

I agree Javale should be the BAE option. He isn't worth 9.2 M but that should be a last resort move. If Clint is traded, I don't think the NT-MLE will be available to Morey.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Maybe Capela will get us a key starter.

Marcus smart swap for Gordon is not good. We need shooters.

Gordon brung energy vs golden state & more than CP3

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly, Salary Capologist BimaThug posted that a team gets NTE or MLE.......not both. Rockets have BAE as well.
    So I would go
    Capela to Boston x ?picks?...Gordon replacement of JJ Redick NTE.........SnT Gordon x Butler..........MeGee or Looney BAE + portion NTE.
    I guess you can do that, team’s break up the MLE over several players often.

I’m skeptical of Looney though......Iggy played us a couple of years ago.

15. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Where’s the Marcus Smart convo coming from?

I love Capela but if you can flip him for a starting wing and sign Looney + Javale, that’s a huge win.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I have seen people throwing this around in multiple threads. Do we actually have the NT-MLE and BAE available? I would assume we would have to trade Clint and get less salary back in order to have the NT-MLE and BAE. If we get Butler, obviously these wouldn't be available but are they available as it stands now with a little bit of maneuvering? The problem is we would have to stay under the Tax apron all season since we would be hardcapped. I found the article below to be pretty helpful. Also, shows the max values of each of these "exceptions".

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

17. saleem

#77 saleem, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  18. saleem

Sorry, I was unable to correctly edit my previous post properly. Bima reported the 9.2 NT-MLE and the 2.2 BAE can be used by Houston while just avoiding the hard cap, if they don't trade for Jimmy Butler.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

@saleem @ApacheWarrior FWIW ESPN projects centers and PFs to earn in this range:

NTMLE Reach ($10-12M)
    Cousins, Brook, WCS, Portis, Thad, Randle

NTMLE High Range ($8-10M)
    JaMychal, Aminu, Bryant, Kanter

NTMLE Low Range ($6-8) - although affordable after a butler S&T since we'd have $6.7M under the apron
    RHJ, Carrol, Lyles, Looney, Jeff Green, Mike Scott, Vonleh, Ed Davis, Kleber, Dedmon, Zubac, DAJ, Birch, Boban, Holmes

TMLE Range ($4-6M) - maybe we can get one here to take BAE to be a starter on a contender
    KOQ, McGee, Rolo, Theis, Noel, Taj, Markieff, Faried, Kaminsky

BAE Range (Minimum-$4M)
    Chanlder, Noah, Muscala, Toliver, Dudley, and a lot of other guys we wouldn't like

#79 smoothie, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

Looney is a UFA. My choices for the NT-MLE remain Aminu, JaMychael and Hood. Javale isn't likely to agree to the BAE, but I would be pleased with this outcome.