1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets meeting with Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 2, 2016.

1. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

If Gordon could be had for like 12 mil-15 mil, it'd be cool. But after signing Anderson, another all offense, shoddy defense player sounds less appealing.

But if a Gordon signing could be followed up with a defensive player signing like Lance Thomas, Moe Harkless or Crabbe, I'd be kinda content.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Don't know where people are getting the 17 million number from, But if the Rockets sign him for multiple years for 17 million per, that would be one of the WORST signing this season.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Eric Gordan wants money... We cant lowball him.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well we just decided to give Ryan Anderson $20 mil for multiple years; why would we start making good decisions now?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

This.

What the hell are you people smoking?

The guy is gonna be on the sidelines in a suit and you want to pay him more than, say, $10M? :eek:

#105 J.R., Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. mightybosstone

I'm glad that the Rockets front office is finally addressing the need for more shooters and scorers. But I wish they would go after some two-way guys that aren't quite as injury prone. If they can somehow get Gordon at a discount in this market, say around $10 million a year, I could live with that. But the idea of this guy making $14 million-$16 million a year or anything close to that to potentially sit on the sideline a good chunk of every season really concerns me. And that's before you consider his atrocious perimeter defense...

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Personally not a huge fan of Ryan Anderson, but I don't think its that bad of a contract, not good by any means, but not terrible. yeah faint praise lol.

But 17+ for Eric Gordon??? Who's been even MORE injury prone AND less integral/effective/important than not only ryan anderson, but Tyreke and Holiday on that same Pelicans team???

One year for 17, would be fine (cuz 1 year) But anything more would terrible.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Anderson has only had one season where hes missed more then 22 games.

Anderson may be a little injury prone, but what Gordon got isn't even funny.

9. Aruba77

MDA: here's an original idea; we just load the team up with shooters and play fast, run down the court a lot, and shoot. Injury issues?, don't worry about it. Defense? Don't worry about it. Rebounding? Don't worry about it. We're just gonna keep collecting shooters and shoot the hell out of the ball. That's literally our new team philosophy.

If nothing else, it will be interesting to watch. Or not.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The real problem is that with Harden, in today's NBA, that gets you 50+ wins. Which they'll view as validation in spite of the early playoff exits.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All things considered, injury history included...I agree on the ballpark of what he should be paid.

12-13/yr is where I'd be.

12. mightybosstone

They haven't even signed the guy yet, dude. And the Rockets still have quite a bit of cap flexibility left. They could end up signing a 3 and D guy over Gordon instead or go after a defensive minded big. But let's save our criticisms until we actually have the full picture of this offseason to look at.

13. rock34

rock34 Member

Don't think that's a bad idea either. With Gordon you are gambling on his injury history but you know what you get and know he can play fast. With Curry I don't know if he is proven enough yet but has had some nice moments that intrigue me enough. It's a gamble either way, it appears for now Morey is choosing Gordon but if he declines Seth Curry could be a good fall back.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Guys you all have to face it that Les is not going to tank. He is not going to let this team ever be bad enough to let us rebuild through the draft. You all might as well accept it that this is the kind of team we will be sending out there every year while Les is the owner.

We had some potential with Howard/Harden but it all went down the ****hole. We might get lucky again, but it is really difficult to build the way Les wants to build this team. Morey has not struck gold in the draft since he has not been able to draft on the top 10 at all. I know he missed out on Leonard, but many other teams missed out on him as well. I'm not excusing Morey, but he has done a decent job building this team based on Les' direction. You all seriously need to accept the reality of our ownership. **** is not going to change as long as he is making money. I know it sucks, but accept it.

15. Aruba77

Who? Who is this magical guy they are gonna sign that gonna turn this disaster of a free agency into a success? They sold fans on free agency as key to turning things around and they can't get any top tier players so instead of trying to rebuild they are overpaying mid to high their players like Anderson, further undermining the future.

I don't have to wait for the end of the process, there are no more 3 and D guys available short of RFA's, which aren't in our control.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I swear I read somewhere that he was a great defender at some point. Haven't been able to find it yet.

Morey offered him the max I think right before Harden came, so I knew he liked him. He's a great fit next to Harden.

Apparently he can really get to the FT line in addition to hitting 3s.

Some helpful articles:

Has Eric Gordon Lost Too Much Respect?

The Reemergence of Eric Gordon

I know some people joked about getting Asik also, but I would LOVE to see him back. In fact I'd be surprised if they didn't pursue him - he's great with Harden and Capela is still unproven.

17. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Courtney Lee sign for 50M/4. I think Gordon will make a little less, agreed?

18. Aruba77

I'm thinking Gordon makes $15 mil per

19. mightybosstone

They were never going to get Durant. Drummond, Conley, Batum and Whiteside all re-signed with their original teams. Horford legitimately hurt a little bit, but Houston was on a long list of suitors and were likely always going to be a bit of a long shot. What would you have suggested they do? The fact that they were able to get a guy who might have been considered a top 10-15 player in this weak free agent class and didn't have to max him out to do it seems like a pretty big plus in my book.

Also, you act like they're auctioning off their future by signing Anderson. In a year, that contract will be less than one-fifth of the total cap number. That's nothing. They could add another max contract, re-sign Harden to a max deal in two years and still have money left over for ancillary players.

Seriously, I just don't understand what the front office should have done differently here. Kept Dwight? Kidnap Durant and force him to sign with the Rockets at gunpoint? I'm at a loss.

20. Fantasma Negro

I was just about to suggest that Gordon get around the same as Lee got