1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Media boosting Jordan Hill's Trade Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you mean the Nets would have taken on Nene for expiring contracts, or that the Rockets would deal with the Nets to get them under the lux tax?

-First the Nets are not the team that would have interest in Nene since they already have a future front court of Brooks Lopez/Favors that they would most likely invest into for the future. Nene to the Nets wouldn't make sense.

-Second scenario doesn't make sense as well because the only player the Rockets would have interest in from the Nets would be Lopez or Favors, and those players are not being made available from the Nets even for Carmelo Anthony at the moment.

2. Prince

Prince Member

And you think OP that you're helping the team for making this kind of thread?

3. dobro1229

If the Rockets now aren't able to trade Jordan Hill for anything of value by the summer then I guess you have my permission to blame me.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If any team is considering fans and media when making deals, they are probably a poorly run organization. The only exception to caring what fans think is when it involves trading a superstar ... but usually that's only done when forced or when it is time to start over, so they really have no choice.

5. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I have missed 3 games this year. I guess they were the ones where Hill had a good game "defensive wise."

P.s. Your sig is silly.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's been obvious for quite some years that feigen writes whatever the rockets PR dept wants him to

7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I have missed 3 games this year. I guess they were the ones where Hill had a good game "defensive wise."

P.s. Your sig is silly.

8. dobro1229

If a team makes a deal for just cost cutting measures when they are losing a valuable player in return, I would beg to differ that getting back a young player with "potential" makes the deal alot easier to swallow.

And yes they do care whether their fan's and suite holders have reasons to buy season tickets for the next year. For at least the ability to watch a young, fun, athletic team with future prospects.

Also we are talking about the organization that balked at the deal to send Melo to NJ for Derrick Favors and two really good first round picks. That posturing eventually has them losing Melo for nothing this summer to the Knicks.

They could have had a really bright future, but once Melo leaves I dont have high hopes for their franchise.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I think they have these new-fangled communication devices now. Works better than dragging a Jonathan Feigan (who is, by the way, kind of a chubby guy) around

2. Feigan's job is to report on the Rockets. One big thing that's going on with the team (and most other teams) are possible trade deadline deals. So, he goes and asks his Rockets sources what they are working on, and they gave him the official version of the news and he writes about it. The team's motivation here is most likely to keep a good relations with the beat write by feeding them a bit of info (done according to the team's spin, of course) to give them something to write about-- but not too much, and nothing that would hurt the team. Feigan, on the other hand, is happy to report what the team sources say to keep a good relationship with the team.

I doubt anyone is seriously thinking that, for example, Donnie Walsh would be reading the Houston Chronicle.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe we shouldn't say too many bad things about Jordan Hill here. That would diminish his trade value.

Actually, Clutch should ban all negative comments about our players here until the trade deadline.

11. dobro1229

I understand that if Daryl Morey wanted to use his blackberry to tweet -

Hey Denver, this guy we have Jordan Hill has wonderful potential, and is working hard. We are looking to make a deal for Nene and Jordan Hill would potentially be the centerpiece we would like to send along with expiring contracts.

-That he is physically able to use his Blackberry first without Feigan saying it for him, but he cannot do that.

-The Donnie Walsh's probably dont pay too much attention to the Houston Chronicle since they have professional scouting but it is possible that Denver's season ticket holders pay to be in the EXCLUSIVE CLUB called "ESPN Insider" and want to know about this Jordan Hill guy the Nuggets might aquire and if he is a bust or could be a potential quality player for the Nuggets if he is aquired in a trade.

-Also the Nuggets front office might just be on the fence with Jordan Hill as someone they would want to invest in and some reports about his progress in practice dont really hurt the cause.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Interesting that Donnie Walsh has been brought up in this thread. A year ago, the consensus on ClutchFans was that he was a complete moron.

To listen to most posters here, no team in their right mind would take Jordan Hill, even if we paid them. His destiny, obviously, is to be cut at the end of the year. He's still on his rookie contract, after all.

The fact is, though, Feigen is a lot closer to the truth about Hill than what I read here. And BTW, if you read his tweets, he is no Hill fan.

Hill has disappointed me lately, but he is good enough to be in the NBA, and still would be, even if he were 30 years old - though barely. Note that Luther Head is still in the NBA, though he got less respect when he was here than Hill is getting. He wasn't a star, but his presence didn't make us less of a team. Same with Hill.

The main reason we want to trade Hill is, we have too many players at PF, and he isn't as good as what we want at C. What you're going to find, though, is that there aren't many decent centers in the NBA. The names thrown around here are names that do not appeal to most of us. Everybody has their favorite savior that we can bring in to play center, but very few appeal to the majority of us. Pickings are slim.

Another reason we want to trade Hill is that he actually has trade value. Go figure.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I want to know if any team will give us a first round pick for Hill.

14. dobro1229

I cant the Rockets trading Hill for anything that doesn't get them back a serviceable Center at least unless a separate deal goes down that gets them more front court help.

Jefferies is likely to be traded as an expiring and Miller's knee is causing him to be out alot this year. Hill might be one of the only viable options at the Center spot behind Chuck Hayes as an insurance policy.

If its a top lottery pick from a team like NJ or Cleveland than Im sure Morey would still make the trade and bring a D-Leaguer like Patrick Sullivan. However those teams would be stupid to trade a pick that isnt top 15 protected for Hill.

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

For a while, I was very sure we could get a top pick for him. I am sure we could get a pick in the 20s, and quite possibly a #15. There are a lot of other teams out there, like us, asking where they can get a 7-footer.

But, we shall see. I don't think he'll be here 2/25.

16. ThaShark316_28

I know J-Chill is supposed to be showing a lot of signs but this is still technically his rookie year. To me, at least.

17. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I disagree. I think Morey took the best available player and likes to keep his options open - that is, if Patterson pans out then awesome, but if not and Hill does, then awesome. Either way, he has value in possessing both up until one, or both, are flipped for equal-or-better value to address a more pressing need (ie a C, a SF that can start, a PG that will be happy playing off the bench competently, etc).

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is exactly how i view Hill. Didn't play much in his 1st season until he came here half way through. He has a lot to learn, but to me he has shown enough promise to continue his career with the Rockets. Still i feel he won't get past the 24th.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He's a role player at best, he doesn't do anything really well enough to start in the NBA. The light went on for somebody in the front office, hence the move to trade him.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Jordan is the next Tim Duncan.

Man, whoever gets their hands on Jordan is going to be in the championship hunt for the next 10 years.

Can't be more true