1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Matching Cavs Lowry Offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cardpire, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Rocketfanatic2

Dear Mr. Morey and Mr. Alexander,

I would like to thank you for bringing back a vital part of our team. Now, let's go get Scola and bring a title to Houston.

Sincerely,

Rocketfanatic2

Seriously though, it was a good move. We need Lowry to backup AB as they compliment each other perfectly. Time to get Scola back.

2. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

WOO HOOO!!!! glad we took care of this right away. i think it was obvious this is a fair deal for lowry, not sure why many people thought we should let him walk. i would have been severely disappointed had we let him walk for amounts to a 3 year guaranteed 18mil contract.

glad les knows we have a good team on our hands and we have to keep the first 8 guys no matter what. only way we could sacrifice one of our first 8 would be if we were getting a "star."

3. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

What he said.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow I make a phone call and Kyle is matched and 7 pages on a new thread. This site is mad! ;)

5. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Morey didn't hesitate to match. Kyle probably won't get the chance to start, but at least he must appreciate the fact that the Rockets genuinely really want him back.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there isn't much difference, actually. Sure, the Cavs won't actually be able to do anything with that space for the week. But, now they can go back and talk to other FAs with confidence they have that money to spend. They can make deals in principle for other signings and just wait a week to submit those contracts to the league office.

Anyway, I don't think we have good reason to mess with Cleveland's free agency anyway. They are not a rival. They are not likely to now extend an offer for Scola. They haven't pissed in our Wheaties. For the sake of good relations in the future (they will need to rebuild now and may need to find new homes for guys on their roster we might be interested in), you may as well make it easy on them. The message regarding Scola that we are eager to match has been sent.

7. ILoveTheRockets

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Poster grammar fail.

9. Nguyen24

Nguyen24 Member

Danger that was quick, now our focus is on Scola.

10. supa

supa Contributing Member

Actually you need to include Patrick Patterson in there which raises our total salaries to about 62.5, meaning if Scola signs for $8M the first year we will be over the cap before spending our LLE or any of the MLE.

11. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Good for him. Good for the Rockets. :)

12. scola4

scola4 Member

Lowry's agent doesnt sound too happy with the Rockets...

"Daryl called me and told me he intended on matching Kyle's offer sheet and my response to him was obviously he's your restricted free agent and you are entitled to match," Miller said, according to the report. "We preferred to have a negotiation in earnest, rather than the marketplace shaping Houston's value of Kyle."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5378798

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

That's quite a bit of money to pay a backup point guard, but I can see them playing AB at the 2 more to make room for Lowry, seeing as how they're weak at shooting guard behind Kevin Martin.

Or just Trade AB for someone who will play some actual defense...

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Disagree big time. Brooks is the only guy on the team who can get a shot in the 4th qt on his own. No one else on this team can do it with the bll. If yao is in a perfect situation, he can get a shot, but we all know the situation that has to be before yao is a factor like that. Lowry starting with the other 4 would equal a disaster. Teams would just sink in the paint and put their weakest defender on him.

1 person likes this.
  15. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Obviously you're an agent, and you're entitled to be a douchebag -- but there's NO way Lowry was going to get 24 mil in "earnest negotiations." Market-shopping was the best thing to happen to you AND your client.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Who cares what his agent thinks. Lowry just got paid $6 mil per when teams were passing by your client for Jordan Farmar.

17. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

KM can be a go to guy in the fourth at least as much as Aaron.

And as long as we're talking crunch time, Lowry and Martin's ability to draw fouls is much more valuable.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As most of us predicted, this was a very simple decision and not at all a bad contract. Welcome back, Kyle. :)

19. redao

redao Member

I am guessing the negotiation is about letting Lowry out of Houston.

20. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

But the fact that he was an RFA inflated his value to the Cavs. They had to pay more to even attempt to discourage the Rockets from matching.