1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Matching Cavs Lowry Offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cardpire, Jul 14, 2010.

1. vmatth

vmatth Member

SO IF WE GIVING HIM 6 JUST IMAGINE WHAT AB IS GOING TO COMMAND NEXT SEASON I THINK THIS IS A BAD MOVE UNLESS AB IS ON HIS WAY OUT

2. BreakYoSelfFool

Incorrect! Luxury tax is at 70.3 mil, cap is 58 mil. Salary counting everyone but Scola is 61 mil including 6 mil for Lowry. We can give Scola up to 9.3 mil without being over. We have plenty of room to manuever at the trade deadline by offering Jeffries expiring contract to teams looking for cap space

this may help:
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

1 person likes this.
  3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I'm sure the significant raise he just got will help him to get over it quickly.

4. Tornadoofsoul6

Is Les Alexander actually going to go over the luxury tax? What sorcery is this?

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I've seen various reports about the 4th option -- some say team option, others have said it's a straight four year deal. I wish we could get some clarification on that.

All the PGs you listed certainly got overpaid.. and I would prefer Lowry's salary to theirs. But I just have a hard time calling a role player on the MLE a bargain, especially what is essentially a backup PG for us.

I don't think the quickness with which the Rockets responded to the deal necessarily means they think he's a bargain -- it could just be fair value, as I said. I agree that they shouldn't let the opinion of others influence how they value their own players and what they're willing to pay for them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Brooks. He's due for a big pay day next year (unless we extend him this year first).. but we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking Lowry is a better PG for this team. Brooks' strength is his shooting, which is desperately needed for us when we have Yao in the low post. Lowry excelled at the up tempo game.. it will be interesting to see the Rockets style of play now that the Big Fella is back.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Man...for a minute...i thought we're losing Kyle. We definitely need him back. He's as important as anybody else on this team imo.

7. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

cool,
    Luis Scola....COME ON DOWN, you about to get paid by the Houston Rockets

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

At this point, any major acquisition will be done via trade with all of the assets that we have.

You can't expect the Rockets to let valuable players go in hopes that we'll land a superstar next summer. We saw how that strategy worked out for teams this offseason.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Couldn't S&T Lowry to the Cavs any even if they had something the Rockets wanted.

Apparently its against league rules.

Credit to BimaThug for pointing that out. :)

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wonderful news. I'm thrilled that Lowry will continue to be a Houston Rocket. I love that little bowling ball.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

No way. They would not be that dumb (i would think) to pay him that much to be a starter for half a season until Favors is ready and then be a backup PF. I think they will save their money for other moves at the deadline and next summer to build their team. They have already brought in better talent to make them competitive.

12. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

THANKS MOREY!!!!

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Let me guess, you only follow the rockets? Fans get spoiled with some of the more recent contracts we've had..

wait, now im not even sure you follow the rockets...if you did you'd know battier is NOT getting a "sizeable" contract at his age. Especially with Ariza sneaking in more more into that SF spot ful time. Yao of course will get one if he doesnt get injured again, but we also have jefferies expiring ad i believe we can opt out of DA's as well.

14. Htownplaya94

Htownplaya94 Member

This team just wouldn't be the same without lowry..

15. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Congrats to Lowry!

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Man I love Morey.

18. stab

stab Member

We have a deep bench and it all starts w/ Kyle...Good match!!

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I don't see how anyone could make this jump. The AB/Lowry combination has been one of, if not the best PG combinations in the entire NBA. They play extremely well together too, if necessary. Re-signing Lowry has absolutely nothing to do with whether we'll trade Brooks or not.

From a basketball standpoint, we need Lowry if we plan on being a contender in the coming season. There is no one out there that could replace what he brings that is currently available. Period.

From a contractual standpoint, his contract is a side effect of the current market. Does Morey actually believe Lowry is worth $6M/year? Maybe not. But we need Lowry, and he has to match it. Does Lowry making more than Brooks mean anything? Not at all, it's just how the contracts worked out. Brooks will make more than Lowry when he becomes a free agent.

I see no reason to reach that AB is suddenly expendable.

20. Mashing

Mashing Member

Excellent news. I really didn't have much doubt Morey would match (he really doesn't waste time on matching offers does he?).