1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets make Sergio Llull $24 million offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MarioKissoDeath, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Only good thing that came out of this thread, thanks nemac.

2. gogispade

gogispade Member

I hope DM will save those 24M$ and spend it on players that are proven to deserve them.

U dont want to come in such corupted country trust me im from here

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I like the guy but he is not coming.... he would of come out already and said. .. so

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Something is definitely off. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't add up. The huge contract offer, then doc rockets tweet (could very well be nothing). But I just came across this article, and according to Llull, he has not been contacted by any representative of Houston directly, and that the rumors surrounding him are a "surprise". He also said "they own my draft rights, that's all I know." Either Llull is playing games with the media and is legitimately coming, and is simply focusing on his championship for now, or something is very, very off. http://www.rtve.es/deportes/2015062...ado-tranquilo-quiero-ganar-liga/1166362.shtml

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

His team is still in the Spanish League finals. Why create a distraction for his team?

6. nalinator

nalinator Member

Are we even allowed to formally give him an offer or discuss contracts since this is pre free agency?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

24M is fair, but Rockets future doesnt hang on Llull's choice. Sergio wont be the reason why this team wins an NBA championship. I"d say it would benefit Sergio's legacy more to join and help this team, but I feel too many guys are afraid to make the leap and then fall flat on their face. Stay in your comfort zone I guess, not many Euro's are able to adapt to the NBA game.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We have his rights, we can negotiate with him whenever we feel like it.

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hope DM has another huge back up plan and not hinge our offseason to Llull...Vazquez would not even make me satisfied

10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Take that money!

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

My max offer to Llull would be 4 years $23 million, with the 4th year being non-guaranteed. It's a fair offer for a good but unproven (in the NBA) euro guard.

12. hakeemthagreat

Jeremy Lin was a HORRIBLE move. He was coming off a fluke half a season where he played pretty good but flamed out before he got hurt. Its was mostly hype why we signed him and less to do with basketball. If the numbers are right, we've taken another unnecessary gamble on a unproven player.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

European sports papers are notorious about printing random transfer rumors as fact.

No reason to believe this at all.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anytime that any move doesn't work out after the fact it was a horrible move. Just as when a coach makes a coaching decision and the team loses, its a horrible coaching move.

What you look at is under certain circumstances, at the time, what was the reasoning for making the move, and was that justified.

I had no problem with the Jeremy Lin signing when it happened. Once the Harden trade happened, of course... James Harden then made signing Jeremy Lin a BAD move.

Why do we keep on having to have this debate? Yes, Jeremy Lin sucked, and still is no good. That doesn't change the fact that AT THE TIME, the Rockets were in a totally different spot, and could have never predicted they would have that quickly risen up the contender rankings.

What Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik ended up being is two players that were acquired for nothing, and shipped out two years later for a pick swap of their 2015 first rounder. Their contracts in the first two years took up such little cap space that they did nothing to hamper other signings or trades. Last year especially they helped fill in when Harden was hurt for some play-making from the perimeter, and Asik helped fill in when Dwight was hurt.

No harm, no foul. Move the F-$% on people.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Lin was a gamble that a team with Kevin Martin as their number one scoring option needed to make. Lin and Martin really could have been entertaining enough to sell tickets, maybe we don't win a game with that team, but without a superstar you take what you can.

16. varughese.arun

Yes, he is that good. He's the kind of player that every championship teams have on their roster. Berri Eggcite!

17. hakeemthagreat

Well the warning signs were there with Lin, but I suppose Rockets management ignored them because he was a cash cow. Teams make mistakes. But putting marketing dollars over pure basketball is just wrong. The sample size for Lin just didnt add up to the numbers on his contract, similar to Llull. He doesn't deserve that type of contract given he hasn't played one NBA game yet. If the rumor is true, Llull would be getting starters money in a conference where almost every team has a potential starting all-star pg. This could be a HUGE setback

Jeremy Lin sucked and we gave him 8 million. The reason its being brought up is because we could be potentially making a similar mistake with Llull. Giving starters money to a unproven guard who has done absolutely nothing in the NBA. As critical as everybody is of what Bev's worth, how could the same ppl act like Llull's entitled to that ridiculous contract? What has Llull done to get that type of money? He hasn't played one game. He should get a no more than about 2-3 million

18. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Lin was only signed, because as you said, he was a cash cow.

With Llull I'm more than willing to pull out a clutchfans classic and simply say, "In Morey I trust." While you may be right that the numbers sound high for a guy who hasn't played a single NBA game, the sample size of games he's played overall for our scouts to analyze is huge. When you factor in the cap jump, the Llull offer isn't that much more than what the Bulls gave Mirotic and he's looking like a bargain now (another guy who had played 0 career NBA games before signing the deal). I'm certainly no scout, but what I've seen from Llull is good enough for me to think that he fits the mold of what we need next to Harden. If Morey and our scouts agree, then I don't see any reason not to just trust him on this one.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

what if
    we want to trade Llulls rights to a team who will then sign him?
    They cant negotiate with him, but we can work out a deal. Then trade his rights to said team, who can then sign him to that deal.

Just more random speculation!

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Oh this is true....so your telling me there is a chance....