1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Make Cuts - Ish Smith Makes Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Oct 18, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Update 5:27pm CT: <a href="http://rockets.clutchfans.net/310/rockets-cut-4-and-ish-smith-still-standing/">Video: Adelman comments after practice today</a>

<HR>

@RocketsJCF: Rockets waived Antonio Anderson, Mike Harris, Alexander Johnson and Jerel McNeal today. Roster now stands at 15 players.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Ish Smith makes it... Rockets cut 4 players

Anderson, Harris, mcneal and aj cut

3. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Good to see Ish make the team.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great news!

Now I just hope we don't get Erika.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And soon, Ish, Pat, and JT will all be heading south for the Vipers camp.

DD

6. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Nice. Too bad for Harris, hopefully he can find a good fit somewhere else soon. 'Twas nice of the Rockets to give these guys a trip to China before cuttin' 'em.

7. G-Money

G-Money Member

What the hell was the point in adding McNeal to the roster? He didn't even play 2 seconds.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the news.

McNeal was cut before even one pre-season game?

I have to imagine his signing was purely done to give the Rockets first dibs on him for the D-League team.

Egelseder, Sullivan and Anderson possibly joining RGV, too. Harris and Johnson are probably too old to make no money in D-League and should probably go overseas (back to China?).

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I just wanted to chant MVP one time when Harris was at the free throw line at home before he got cut, didn't have the opportunity to this preseason.
    But, I'm so glad Ish made the cut!

10. DaDakota

Anyone seen Artie Fufkin?

ROFLMAO !

Thanks for the update Cluch...

DD

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I am sure you will be see these 4 players with the RGV unless they get big offers from some European team.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like I was a minute late typing this from my phone, so I'm going to merge this with the other thread.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good point. I think they just signed McNeal so they can stash with the Vipers. The new rule allows you to keep some players who were with you at camp and stash them on your NBDL team.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep, I suppose we'll see Eglseder, Sullivan and McNeal on the Vipers (as "first-dibs" players under the new rules), along with Anderson and Harris (rights already held by RGV), unless Harris goes for a paycheck elsewhere.

It was nice having you around as non-guaranteed salary filler this summer, Alexander Johnson!

Just note that this does not necessarily mean that Ish Smith will be a Rocket much longer. He was guaranteed $50,000 under his contract no matter what, so there is no point in the Rockets cutting him during training camp in order to avoid fully guaranteeing his salary. To my knowledge, the Rockets could possibly hold onto Ish even into the regular season, could still waive him before the January 10 deadline (when all salaries become fully guaranteed), and still minimize their cap exposure (as the team did a couple years ago with Pops Mensa-Bonsu, although Pops actually got picked up off waivers by Toronto that year).

15. RyanB

RyanB Member

Here comes our Steve Nash :grin: :grin:
    at least if AB or Lowry gets injured we won't suck :grin:

16. bloop

bloop Member

poor Mike Harris

17. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I guess that answered my Mke Harris thread from yesterday :confused: I guess MVP NBDL honors didn't carry too much weight for him, on this roster, anyway.

Good luck Mike!

18. DaDakota

Harris would be stupid to keep playing for the Vipers, he needs to go make money now.

DD

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I thought Alexander would be a nice addition, but we have enough depth.

I don't mind adding "Erica" for the minimum, just as insurance for Yao. Obviously, Dampier isn't in the same category as Yao, but he does provide size in the front-court and can give six fouls if necessary.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Mike should go to Europe or China and get a good paycheck. You have to feel for players like Harris, who are so damn close to making it in the league, but seem to not quite fit an NBA roster.