1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to trade KPJ....WTF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but it’s not Meyers Leonard though. Saying something racist, while disgusting, is not the same as violently attacking a women. It’s not even in the same ball park.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

What cap flexibility? Porter is an EXPIRING CONTRACT

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

He’s not comparing the offense, he’s comparing the situation where both players were traded to be waived - the actual player carried no trade value, only the expiring contract.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Trade him for Harden. **** for ****

nolimitnp likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I believe they were dangerously close to not meeting the salary cap floor at the start of the FA period - that's part of why they backed the Brinks truck up for Brooks and FVV....but now if they cut KPJ BEFORE opening night, I believe they have to pay a penalty in ADDITION to whatever money they have to pay to get out of KPJ's contract. I don't think it's a lot - maybe a few million different, but effectively it means Houston has to pay MORE money than KPJ's contract to cut ties with him because we are now in year 1 of the new CBA rule about meeting cap floor standards on opening day. Since he was our 3rd highest paid player, his cap hold is important if nothing else because of ALL the rookie deal players on our roster.

Maybe @BimaThug can validate whether severing ties with KPJ actually puts us under the cap or not....

CXbby likes this.
  6. Aruba77

I get that but the context absolutely matters. Perception matters when your franchise is being accused of coddling and enabling a women beater. The actions the org takes absolutely sends a message. Cutting him outright sends the right message. This shouldn’t be that hard.

duluth111222 and J.R. like this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Buy high, sell low. The Rafael Stone way.

8. a time to chill

We are seeking to give up picks to erase a mistake…plain and simple. Like I said, it shouldn’t have come to this.

BHannes2BHonest and J.R. like this.
  9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Cap flexibility for this season I mean.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Imagine giving up a potential Brooklyn lottery pick (“we don’t need anymore!” blah blah blah) for the likes of Davis Bertans just to get rid of this shitbag when you could cut him.

Sorry, this is bigger than basketball. Cut the shitbag and move on. How tone deaf are you? 48 hours later and you’re trying to extract value out of this shitbag woman beater by attaching picks?

CUT YOUR LOSSES! MOVE ON!

“When he drives out of the arena, you suspend him one game and love him even more.”
    “When he beats the **** out of a woman, first things first, you gauge his trade value (by attaching picks).”
    —Houston Rockets

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even before this nobody would have wanted his sorry ass.

This front office overlooked his BS because they sadly actually thought he was a good player.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Kpj is going to be out of the league, no ifs buts or ands. Does it really matter which team is officially cutting him? I don’t mind if they try to better the team while getting rid of him - that’s what’s important - they are getting rid of him.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

How would giving up a bkn pick for Bertans benefit the rockets? Bertans is on a worse contract than kpj, they are both useless as players now but one is on a two year deal. You guys are overreacting, this will never happen. If they give up a bkn pick it is for a player worth a bkn pick, has nothing to do with kpj except for salary matching purposes.

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Yeah I'm sure some minimum salary floor details are part of this. But I think its also that Tillman Fertitta still can't quit KPJ. Even after breaking the vertebra of his own employee's goddaughter (we sure as **** wouldn't be talking about a trade if he broke Fertitta's daughter's neck), he can't bring himself to be the one to end KPJ's career, so trading him is the less painful option. KPJ is a helluva drug.

#114 Entropy, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

We now have folks trying to justify its perfectly ok to give valuable assets to dump a woman beater to extract some bs “value”. Absolutely pathetic.

clutchdabear and Entropy like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

In this case it would be a second round pick at most to save a couple million dollars which is they going rate for second round picks.

17. Aruba77

I do think it matters which team cuts him. It should be the team that went all in on him and likely overlooked, or worse, covered up, behavior that shouldn’t be tolerated. Because those kinds of organizations are scummy and I don’t want to root for a scummy organization. The road back to respectability is to do everything you can to demonstrate that some things are more important than basketball. Trying to trade him to salvage value does not send that message.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think the team should do whatever it can to better itself. To address what you are saying though I would also like them to hold Stone accountable for enabling and turning a blind eye to kpj by firing him.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes what KPJ did is significantly worse, and cutting him immediately would send the strongest message.

However, the situation is what it is. This team is clearly looking to achieve some middle-ground where they can openly declare that they are disassociating with KPJ whilst still protecting the team's own interest.

It's not ideal, and frankly speaking the Rockets are in need of a better image at this point than a veteran, but as long as this team is getting rid of KPJ, then I don't care how they do it as long as it is done before the season starts.

JoeBarelyCares and hlmbasketball like this.
  20. Aruba77

hey on the Stone thing, we absolutely agree.