1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to trade KPJ....WTF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 13, 2023.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

If this report is true it's really damning. The fact they won't even take a tiny cap hit to be rid of this headache is insane. Would it have taken a murder to just cut this clown? This all says nothing of the shear incompetence to even think a trade is even a viable option at this point. Just a ****ing circus.

clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Look I'm facepalming at this news as much as anyone, but objectively this is the right thing to do before they're probably forced to just cut him. If the Rockets can trade him for a bad contract (assuming it's 2 years or less) and the new team just willing to cut him, that's not a bad plan. The Rockets are trying to win and just simply cutting KPJ at this point does nothing. Even a benchwarmer who makes $20mil is more useful.

Of course it still doesn't change the fact that they gave him this extension and they have kept on enabling him by making it look like he's a franchise player, but at this point it's the only possible move since there's no way they can possibly bring him back.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

What do you mean? Whoever they trade for will still be on our cap so it has nothing to do with money. They are just trying to use his expiring deal as filler to upgrade the team.

jchu14 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i dont get the outrage...

i mean arent the Rox offering draft compensation for someone to take the contract off our books, right?

so its a 'dead contract' we're looking to shed... like Rubio's expiring contract when he was injured for the year...

i dont think anyone (tillman or otherwise) thinks that kpj's contract holds any value as a playable player...

maybe im wrong... but that'd be my take...

i dont understand all the pearl clutching in this thread...

i mean we 'cant' cut him, right? during an ongoing investigation... or has that changed? seems to be the quickest way to get him off the roster...

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

A year and a half ago if you ask me.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes Tillman needs to be gone as well

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Or they could use his contract and multiple picks for a legit player. Would not be possible after we cut him and have no contracts to match in a trade.

Jayzers_100 and kjayp like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Spurs just cut Primo no questions asked. I hate the Spurs but they are a class org. Rox are Anna Sorkin level grifting, low class, con artists.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i respectfully disagree. The rockets need to take action that distances themselves from the KPJ debacle and send a message. The franchise’s reputation is in the toilet.

I mean, this is the same owner and GM that paid John Wall over $40 mil to stay away from the team, but now they are trying to squeeze every last ounce of potential value out of the contract they gave to a women beater?

10. home_vc

home_vc Contributing Member

Send him to Detroit. Silas still believes the head honcho will turn things around.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I wish they would cut him but didnt Adam SIlver say they couldn't punish him yet?

ipaman likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

thats my thoughts... its a 'dead contract' that can be used for matching purposes... then the receiving team can waive him...

i dont understand the outrage... seems very Moreyesque - lol!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I’m guessing we are going to be under the cap floor if we cut him before the first game so I guess the logic is - KPJs value is essentially an expiring to a team that they will likely get their money back on for this years money after the court proceedings negate his contract(new CBA rule-but does it apply here, not sure)…and then we throw in some 2nd so if your team is ready to cut salary and start rebuilding, we will take the right vet off your hands because that’s better than anything we could sign right now to meet the cap floor. I don’t know how far we are from the cap floor if we cut KPJ but there isn’t ANYONE left in FA worth spending $10mil+ on.

14. a time to chill

I’m clutching my pearls at the sending out draft capital part. It’s probably wise to seek a potential trade partner, but it shouldn’t have come to this.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

*your player beats the **** out of a woman*
    *issues a “no comment/gathering more information” blah blah blah*
    *leaks looking to extract some value out of said woman beater*

[​IMG]

So they’re offering Brooklyn pick(s)?

That’s Sam Presti calling. (Probably offering Davis Bertans)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

Can’t wait to see Kelly Iko’s trade proposals.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Joe Rocket likes this.
  17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes, this is entirely a Meyers Leonard situation. After his racist remark, Miami Heat suspended him and traded him for Trevor Ariza and a 2027 2nd round pick (Leonard never joined OKC). This can't be compared with the Josh Primo situation because he was early into his contract so SAS.

Whilst I can understand why people are upset, this declaration is at the very least clear indication that the Rockets plan to disassociate themselves from KPJ. If they suspend and are able to trade him by attaching a 2nd rounder to bring back a decent veteran, I would consider it a good move that at least still communicates the message across that they are not tolerating his behavior.

BamBam and CXbby like this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol Iko. Please bring back @RasaqBoi

J.R. likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Porter is an expiring deal, any draft compensation wouldn’t be for getting his salary off the team because matching salary is coming back, the draft picks is to compensate the incoming talent.

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I don't understand giving up a pick, any pick, for cap flexibility. Who are we going to sign this season that's better than Whitmore? I'm not saying he's an all-star or anything, but I think summer league showed that he can handle 15 minutes a night at least.

a time to chill likes this.