1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the Kings already filled their Slovenian PG quota with Beno.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I see Kemba as potentially being the "Brandon Roy" of this years draft class. He's not a midget either, NBA just measured him at 6'3" so although being a tad undersized for SG he's not the meager 6'1" people pegged him at before.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Try playing Rose off the ball for long and see what happens.... he needs to dominate the ball to be effective. It is fine though, because he is a top 5 player in the NBA...

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You still don't make sense. Rose is a point guard, why would anyone even think of playing a playmaking PG off the ball???

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

7. amaru

amaru Member

Bye Scola :(

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He's more like a much less athletic version of Javtokas.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, I tend to agree with you. I would not be surprised--or upset--if the Rockets took Reggie Jackson as high as #14 to back up Lowry and Dragic and then to replace Dragic the following season, just like Cassell with Kenny Smith as the starter and Scotty Brooks as the primary backup for most of Sam's rookie year.

Jackson's got a sick 7' wingspan and legit height for a PG (I don't think he was measured this week due to an injury).

No problem here if that's the way they want to go.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow, kinda surprised that you would say that, because to me, #14 is to high for Jackson.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off - I don't think we're trading Lowry anytime soon unless someone wants to offer the world. This guy will lead the Rockets for years.
    And unless it's in a big deal for major talent or size, I doubt Dragic is going anywhere, anytime soon either...contract notwithstanding. We look good at the 1.

Picking up 7 for Scola sounds great. Lots of options for DM....We could move up for Kantner/ Williams or take a keeper there. Either way it's a nice asset :) I know many are high on Walker and I am too, but his talent is not so transcendent IMO as to make us deal Kyle (who has a cheap contract). We have other positions to address.

BTW..After Kantner and Williams, I would want Vesley. He's young but should be a dynamite player for many years.

#151 Plowman, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

Morey should have taken Jonny Flynn if his goal is to avoid pay day. Flynn has two more years on rookie contract, so this problem does not arise. Then you can address an actual starter need like SF with #14 pick. :rolleyes:

13. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

Dragic will not get you the 7th pick

14. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

No, he will not. And it is stupid to trade whole package for backup point guard Kemba. They will probably try to move Goran for a late first round pick so they can switch player due for pay day for different role player locked in rookie contract. Or try to flip him for a SF to team looking for point guard of the future. Something like Goran for Casspi. Kings will not accept anything less than Lowry for #7.

1 person likes this.
  15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not saying that Jackson is the BPA at #14 in my opinion. Just that he's close enough to that range that it wouldn't surprise me to see him as the pick. I have a feeling that he'll get snatched up before #23.

Agreed, but he could be part of the package to get that pick.

16. Nook

Nook Member

#1 he does not really create in the traditional sense such as Paul or Stockton.

#2 look at the number of shots Rose took this year...

#3 He dominates the Bulls offensive possessions, even for a point guard.

He can do it, because he is an elite player.... but do you think many other players would be able to dominate the offensive possessions like that? .... no, so, if a player is going to dominate the possessions, he better be damn good.... it is okay for Kobe, Jordan, etc to do it.... but it is not okay for Tyreke Evans.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The rox offered scola prior to giving up landry and the kings wanted no parts of his age and his pending contract. I'm not saying the can't change their mind,but I'm thinking more lowry than anything. Really,their still trying to pry Ellis away from gsw to pair with evans in the backcourt.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

It's probably Scola, but I'm sure the Kings are asking about Lowry.

Morey is here to shred salary. It seems like he doesn't mind giving out large contracts, because he knows he can trade them. I want this guy to take some risks (Amare...who may or may not have bolted), and I want him to care more about winning than cutting costs. He's good at acquiring impact players (where was he 5 years ago).

I'm still waiting for him to net us a star to play next to Martin.

#158 BEAT LA, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  19. Rockets_4_life

Yeah but that was before they even had Cousins. Now that they have a young, but at times immature, Center. They can look for a veteran PF to team up with him. If you look at it Scola would compliment Cousins well, he can knock down the mid range jump shot, giving Cousins space for his low post game.

But of course if we indeed use the 7th pick for Kemba Walker, we could make a package that includes both Lowry and Scola. With some young players coming over from Sacramento.

Something like:
    [ Kyle Lowry, Luis Scola for 7th pick(Kemba Walker), Hassan Whiteside, Omar Casspi ]

On the Rockets side, the reason to include Luis in the deal is for an addition by subtraction move, as it would open up playing time for Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill, as well as any other front court player we draft.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Scola and a single pick should get it done. Its still too much. I think Scola by himself for the 7th pick in a weak draft is way too much already.

I mean it is a weak draft. A few players get taken? We have nobody there we might want at 7 already.