1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Could it not be Lowry thats being shopped? Don't get me wrong. I hope that it's Scola.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It would make sense if we are targeting Kemba.

But I can't see us doing it. Lowry's contract is tiny compared to what he's really worth.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am not even sure Scola is worth it at number 7 in a weak draft. However if they are rebuilding it makes sense for both. They get alot of value and we get to start the rebuilding and going younger process. I always think about this when dealing with Scola though. I always go back to how high in regard I think Patrick Patterson will become as a player and so moving Scola makes sense to me. Even if its not real great value back. I view the number 7 pick in this draft as not so great. However with Patrick Patterson already here to replace Scola? Thats ok probably.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

What??? Maybe Iverson, I could see the comparison there and even a "young" Wade as you put it but Rose? Really? He is the teams POINT GUARD and best player at the same time and needs to have the ball in his hands for the team to win.

All the others you mentioned are shooting guards but at the time Wade was by far the best player on his team in the beginning of his career, now he has help and has proven to know how to share the ball.

You're comparisons are pretty r****ded with the exception of AI to Tyreke.

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Scola is our problem, and if I were GM I wouldn't be trying to trade him. But as long as we are discussing it, how about Scola, Hill, 14 and 23 for 7 and a resigned Dalambert.

It gives us a center, Chuck moves back to PF til Pat can take it full time then backs up center and power forward - which is where I think he should be. We use 7 to draft a small forward and make due with Bud until the new guy can take over. I think the wing position is one of the easiest to fill. Hard to get a great one, but easy to competency. I like our back court as it is. So that trade at least balances our roster and fills the obvious holes.

I have no idea what Sacto needs but I figure Scola is a baller, Hill is a decent back up big and they have two picks to work with.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

lowry is one of the most valuable contracts in the nba, he had a breakout season whilst being locked into a chump change contract, no way a few picks up the draft happens for him.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Whatever happens on draft day with probably be completely unexpected or completely mundane, either we keep the picks we have, or we make a deal that shocks everyone. That's my prediction.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

We have too many picks. If they cannot be packaged or traded for talent I hope (other than the low lotto, if retained) gets used on stashing young int'l stud to be.

9. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Maybe some thing like Scola, T-Will, and #23 for #7 and Thompson. Draft Valanciunas at #7 (even if he doesn't get to come over right away) and Singleton at #14! Gives us more size up front which will bring us defensive toughness that we desperately need.

Lowry, Dragic
    Martin, Lee
    Singleton, Budinger
    Patterson, Thompson, Hill
    Valanciunas, Hayes, Thabeet, Miller

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How so? I actually think the appeal of Kemba would be to PAIR him with Lowry and have him fill the Aaron Brooks role, only off the bench.

I could easily see Dragic being the one traded (or included in a package) to the Kings. Remember, Goran will (assuming his option is picked up next month, which I think will happen) be an unrestricted free agent next summer, when the Rockets may want to spend their available cap room on a star free agent.

Having a guy like Kemba locked up for 4-5 years on a reasonable rookie scale salary may be much more preferable than having Dragic on the cheap for one more year, then having to pay up to keep him or risk losing him entirely with no compensation.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First of all, way to stick your neck out there on that prediction. ;)

Second, barring a major 4-for-1 trade for a star (not holding my breath on that), there is NO WAY the Rockets roster all three of those draft picks when the regular season begins. If they use all three picks, I guarantee you at least one of them will be an international prospect to stash overseas (or at least an American like Maarty Leunen at #38 who they KNOW is willing to play overseas, although I doubt any American good enough to be picked there would agree to that).

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Interesting point, yet reading the 'mocks' Jackson could purportedly do that later in the 1st. Addressing greater needs early seems much more appealing to a progress back to League relevancy.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wow, what I said to same raven haired Raven. :cool:

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we do move up, we need to walk away from this draft with Kemba Walker on our team, I think this kid is going to be very special. If we draft him, he will eventually surpass Lowry, and will become our starting PG. His actually a combination of both Brooks and Lowry; he can score and is quick like Brooks, but can defend, pass, and attack the rim like Lowry.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GVNIB8dOkn8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This kid is the definition of a Morey type draft pick.

1 person likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"Impactful Veteran Help" = Luis Scola -- 31 years old with a million miles on the OD coming off his best season and knee surgery.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sacto has publicly announced that they want to re-sign Dalembert. They consider him to be a part of their future. I would assume Dalembert would want to go with them,since they can offer him the most amount of money.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm just saying I dont think we would trade Kyle Lowry for that pick. I package with Goran Dragic would be fine with me.

18. AXG

AXG Member

Other than those top 3, I'm not too impressed with trading up. This year's draft seems very weak.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

I hope we dont move up this years draft is not that great

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Walker is an intriguing player.

Seems to fit the Morey mold and would be a great running a 2nd unit.

But we sure could use some size.