1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Looking for a New Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Feb 18, 2006.

1. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

GUYS, DON'T YOU SEE IT!!

WE GOT HIM!!

ALLEN IVERSON BABY!! HE'S THE ONE PG JVG'S GOT IN MIND. WOO HOO!!

WE GOT HIM!!! BOOK IT.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're not making any sense, on one thread you say he should be tearing up the league like Arenas, and on this one you say he should be 6th man, bottom line, Steve's better than Wesley as a SG, better than Rafer as a PG, he would improve this team at either position. There's no point in talking about this though, it's not going to happen, and I hope the Rockets find that backup PG they're looking for.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

van gundy did bring in over the hill players like strickland, oakley... maybe it'll be stockton this time around. after all his middle name is houston and he named one of his sons houston.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

be a former knick.

5. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I am really heartened to find that the real JVG has been uncovered for what he is by some of the better posters on this board. I mean look at Phoenix, a team that was virtually gutted by injury and free agency. They picked up people that people on this board were laughing at and a poster on this board had the gall to say the double-digit loss to them wasn't JVG's fault, that "Phoenix was just a better team". Yes they are, on that we all agree, but why are 3 of their pickups having careers years while our pick-ups are having career worst years or not even showing up to play like DA.

Our coach, JVC, sucks and now almost everyone admits it.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He should be tearing up the league. But he's not, is he. Please tell me what's wrong with Steve and why he isn't playing like Arenas. If he can't get it to work in a perfect situation like Orlando, where he should be getting all the touches he can handle because Grant Hill is out so much and D-Howard has a raw post game (and would be better off playing off of Steve's penetration anyway), then I don't see how it would work back here.

Do I want this theoretical Steve that should be able to score and get into the lane at will. Yes, it could possibly work out well.

But do I want the Steve that's been playing for Orlando for the past year and a half and has taken a step backwards in development. I want no part of that if he's making the Max.

I'll admit. I'm conflicted. My heart and optimism say that Steve is an immense talent and should be able to flourish with the new rules. But the realist in me says that he wouldn't be a good fit next to Yao and Mcgrady, he makes too much money, and there must be something wrong with him if he can't thrive in a league with rules that are tailor made for his game.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Chill chill chill! This is a RUMOR!

I firmly believe when stuff likes this comes out, most of the time it's garbage. Please don't believe everything the talking heads say and write just because they say it and write it. There is so much smoke being blown right now nobody can see straight.

Just take it easy. Rafer is doing exactly what JVG wants him to, which is feed the ball to other players in scoring position, especially Yao. His shooting hasn't been bad most of the time, either. According to another talking head, we are shopping both JH & Stro, which is much more likely.

Let's everybody take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Don't get too worked up by the rumors. Hopefully by Thursday, CD will close a deal or two that makes us better. Yao & Tracy are off the table. Based on his play since returning from injury, I'm guessing Rafer is close to that status also unless we get a player who can definitely take us to another level.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i know it's probably a rumor but sometimes i just have to vent on JVG, and this was an opportunity. the guy needs to go, as does half the roster. but rafer shouldn't be thrown out there like this, he's done a very good job when he is healthy. i don't know what else you could really ask more out of him. he isn't a great rebounder or defender but he is the best pure pg we have had in years.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Further proof that Stevie will be a Rocket again after a 3-way with New York.

;)

10. JumpMan

He's not playing like Arenas because he's not as good as Arenas, the biggest reason for that is because Arenas is a good shooter, and he plays with a little bit more control.

It's not a perfect situation, they run everything around Dwight, and everyone else equally for the most part, Steve doesn't even get a chance to average 4 turnovers a game anymore. The biggest problem there is all on him though, he's sulking, he's basically not even playing anymore, he's just out there going through the motions hoping he doesn't get traded to a team he doesn't want to go to.

I don't want to waste too much time talking about this impossible hypothetical situation, but I think the most important thing is that he'll be motivated here, and that will improve his play. He won't be putting up max contract numbers, but the team will be winning like a team with 3 max contract players should be winning, that's all that matters, but that ain't happening.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

No way.

You can tell that JVG likes Rafer, and Rafer has good production and is still improving.

12. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

Our off season moves have not payed off. Swift and Anderson did not fit in JVG system. Alston has been one of the few bright spot of this off season acquistions. But the fact of the matter is that apart from being the starting PG of the terrible Raptors, he has been a carrier back up ( and a very successful one in Miami). And if and when Rockets go to the playoffs, the likes of Parker/Nash/Terry/Miller Cassell will probably take him for a ride. New York and Denver have been reported to be in negosiations for a block buster. How about if we broker the deal with Swift+Anderson+a future pick for Andre Miller. Denver needs capspace to resign Nene, a shooting guard and a big fella. We can help them meet all these requirements. Alternatively, Swift and DA can go to NY and Crawford+filler+pick can go to Denver. A combo of Miller and Alston would be awesome at point. Now if we can trade the expirining contract of Wesley+/or TE to acquire a young starting big guard (say Turkoglu from Orlando) then our back court will be fairly decent. We can then look for the starting PF and bacup three via free agency/draft. In nutshell we have to make some significant improvements, especially in the back court and Miller could be the starting point.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Different how? One had Jordan and the other had Shaq and Kobe? He forced the triangle down the throats of both teams and figured he would outscore you.

As for his current triangle force down...if the Jazz, Warriors, Kings and Rockets ALL weren't having horrendous seasons the barely .500 Faker$ would be in Lottery. It ain't about Phil or Larry Brown or systems. It's about team chemistry and puttin' the ball in the hole. And being prepared. ;)

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN

I'm sure they are looking for another point guard. Luther Head is currently our backup point guard, and he isn't so great in that role.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Guys, Guys, don't read too much into this, David Aldridge obviously has his info mixed up. I think he meant that we're looking for a backup PG, which I am sure we're.

Don't worry though, Rafer is not on the block unless we have a chance to upgrade his position to a guy who can do what he does PLUS rebounding, defense, and size.

Other than that, we haven't had a better pass-first PG in at least a decade.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

in a 'just in case'..

Stevie is not a better PG than Rafer..

to be a good PG you have to be a good penetrator, with timely well located passes, low turnovers, good court vision and a respectable stop/pop jumpshot from 15ft out.

Stevie is only one of these.. you're confusing scoring and rebounding as greater PG talent, than PG extras.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

only several days until the 23rd. if anything is going to happen, at least it will occur soon. surely the suns game has forced the rockets to do something now that will be beneficial immediately or next season.

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rafer has done pretty good, but he's not Chauncy Billups. He's an excellent backup, and his price isn't horrible. Nevertheless, he'd lose the starting job in a battle with a similar guy that was a little bigger, stronger, and could play defense.

You always look to improve and Rafer is ultimately, expendible.

The question is, who or what do we get in exchange?

It's fair to trade him in a package for significant starter help at 1,2 or 4. It could even be fair to trade him for a role player with a high market price tag - like Al Harrington.

I'd be able to find replacement help for Rafer and Swift if we got Harrington.

19. JumpMan

Yes he is. :p

20. munco

munco Member

i doubt we're replacing rafer.
    he's playing very well for us.