1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Looking for a New Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Feb 18, 2006.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

On TNT today, Inside the NBA, David Aldridge said that the Rockets were looking for a new point guard. When Kenny mentioned Rafer Alston playing well, Aldridge replied that "Well, you know Jeff Van Gundy, he's got a certain kind of point guard in his mind to run this team.." and that was it. Weird.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe they meant PF...

3. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

That makes more sense. What is DA smoking? :confused:

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

i certainly hope so....

what more does alston need to be doing to get Van Gundy to like him?

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If we're loooking for a new point guard, we might as well be looking for a new coach. Rafer has been one of the few bright spots this season.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Penetrate and dish.

DD

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

You do know the Rockets are the ones with the red and silver jerseys, right?

DT

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, he said point guard 3 times. Shocked me, too. You know, maybe he was mistaken- but then, why would he say, "Well, Van Gundy's got a certain type of point guard he has in mind, and that's what he's looking for." He probably got it wrong- maybe there's just too much going on for him to remember everything.

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rebound like Francis and Sura? I dunno, it has to be PF, or BACKUP PG, we don't have one of those.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

LOL - of course, I am just answering the question of what JVG would want in a PG....

I think Rafer has been playing very well, I would choose him over JVG.

:D

DD

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

JVG's problem is he's really not a "great" coach. A great coach can take a team of players and make them better, if they have the talent to begin with and even sometimes if they don't. JVG on the other hand has to have "his type of players." Well, he's gone through a lot of "his" players, and he apparently still isn't happy with any of them.

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

It has to be a backup PG. Maybe Aldridge misunderstood it thinking they were after a new starter, but that would be r****ded to get rid of Rafer as well as he has played lately.

The only way I see it coming to this is if Rafer is underminding JVG on the floor causing problems.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree with this completely, coaches must adjust too...at least the great ones do.

Phil Jackson's teams in Chicago and LA were completely different, yet he found a way to win.

JVG - Well, at least his team is prepared.

DD

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

What the F***.

Rafer is one of the only solid pieces we have on this team. How about we do something about our undersized SG rotation. Or our underperforming PF situation. And what the hell kind of PG does he have in mind. We had a scoring Point in Mike James, and we traded him away to get Rafer, a ball-handling creator kind of guard. What else kind of point guard could we be going for.

15. dookiester

dookiester Member

the one player that is a combination of both....

STEVE FRANCIS!!

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

DA knows his stuff, so the Rockets must be looking for a PG for whatever reason. I wish we go after a SG and PF because thats are major weaknesses IMO.

17. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

okay, JVG lets trade rafer for some other old, washed up knick, who will come in and suck. then you'll get mad at him, put him on the bench, and complain about him.

come on jeff. stop making dumb excuses for why you can't coach worth a crap. i've always believed that the best coaches are able to adapt and win with the talent they have, and get the most out of every player's abilities. jvg couldn't do that in his dreams. get rid of him now before he runs yao and tracy into the ground and ruins what could be a great combination for the next 5-6 years.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

More like Steve = Mike James + Max contract.

If Steve was making 7-8 million a year, I would welcome him back with open arms, make him a 6th man off the bench and give him a perpetual green light. As is, I don't see how this makes us a better team.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sorry,

I think this is a misinformation campaign put out by the Rockets to disguise their true interest. I can't believe they don't like Rafer, just don't believe it. It's just a smokescreen. It might just be JVG jerking PJ around too.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

WRONG
    The equation is not balanced.

:rolleyes: