1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, any deal that includes Brew as the main piece, sign me up. That said, I wouldn't be surprised If Brewer bounces back and plays decently, though I'd rather his minutes went to KJ.

2. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

i mean I believe he can do better in this new system but I would still rather gay

3. hvic

hvic Member

I hope Brewer can step it up and play better than he did last year so his trade value goes up

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He will have to be better, law of averages lol

5. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

i mean I believe he can do better in this new system but I would still rather gay
    would u rather brewer or gay

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You'd rather have a gay than
    you'd rather have a Gay than a Brewer?

7. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

I'd rather have gay but brewer probably fits better

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What could make Gay fit better?

9. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

it's just matters if gay would mind coming off the bench if he could dan toni would jusy make him a hybrid 4 off the bench to score

10. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

We all know Brewer had some "dirty laundry" on JB,but I am afraid JB made a deal with him,he swapped the files ,and now Brewer have everything against Morey. So no deal on Rudy any time soon.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If I was gay id probably fit in Brewer better

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I probably said this earlier in the thread, but I will repeat.

I have never been a fan of Gay, he is mediocre, but he actually makes sense for this team for this year, provided we use the right package.

If you sent Brewer, McDaniels, and our first rounder (lottery protected) for Gay (with him declining his PO), you accomplish quite a bit.

1.) You upgrade Brewer to Gay, which makes the team better.
    2.) You dump the long term money from Brewer / McDaneils, which allows you to be in the mix for max free agents next offseason, of which there are a TON http://www.si.com/nba/2016/08/03/le...rry-kevin-durant-nba-free-agency-preview-2017
    3.) You clear a roster spot for an up and comer like Payton, or Wiltjer

It actually makes sense in certain scenarios.

Beverley / Prigioni / Ennis
    Harden / Gordon
    Ariza / Gay / Dekker
    Anderson / (DMO) /Harrell / Wiltjer
    Capella / Nene / Onuanu

chievous minniefield likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I understand your point, but there's no way i'd throw KJ (now that it seems like he's starting to fit well) and a 1st (even if it's lottery protected) for a (good) bench expiring with low market value tbh...i think we can already trade KJ for a 2nd rounder easily, and Brewer in a couple of months may actually increase his value...this would be some sort of panic move which we just don't need at this point imo.

D-rock likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't view it as a panic move, I view it as a way to clean up the budget.

Its essentially using a first to dump Brewer/ McDaniels long term money, and BTW the expiring contract you are getting back can actually contribute some. I don't view McDaniels as good player. He can get alley oops from Harden, but seems to be about it.

15. Mr. Motiejunas

SOunds like you like Gay.

16. craguin

craguin Member

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough, and actually, you can also trade Gay for something later in the season if there's a chance and if he plays fairly well here (which would be very possible)...let's say i would just wait a bit more to see if KJ can actually contribute (but i understand your doubts) and/or if Brewer is able to play again like he did 15 months ago, and maybe later i would do it.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are definitely Gay. Don't deny it Rudy.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox right now have so many offense oriented players, while Gay might be better than Brewer his tendency to avoid contact and penchance for mid-range Js turn me off so much, all that athletic ability is wasted if the dude doesn't want to drive at the rim and being more talented is useless if all you do is take mid range Js. If you want to clear cap and roster space that's fine but there are other ways to do it that would net you an asset instead of costing you one.

Besides, all the commentators were talking about how Brewer hated how he played last season and spent all summer in the gym. Based on his first preseason game it's paying off, he looked much sharper and more focused than last year. It'd be a bad move to trade him when it looked like he's started to turn the corner.

20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

An eight man core of Harden, Anderson, Gordon, Beverley, Capela, Ariza, Nene and Rudy Gay would certainly be interesting. Sprinkle in some Prigioni/Ennis (whoever earns backup PG spot) and Dekker/McDaniels (whoever was kept in hypothetical trade) to add some depth. I know many fear about the defensive holes but if Coach Bzedlik can work his magic on this team, they have the capability to be an above average defensive squad. The physical traits are there - its just up to mental makeup and execution.