1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Legends Peterson and Foley to retire after 2007/08 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeopardE, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I just heard them announcing this on the countdown to tipoff today. :(

I don't know if I could ever imagine listening to Rockets basketball without those guys. Hope we win a championship for them.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Damn. I'm so sad.

And I have been since I heard about this a year ago :D

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Where does Gene Peterson rank with other legendary radio announcers like Johnny Most and Chick Hearns? I'd think he'd be right up there...

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah some of the rookies are pretty slow on the Rockets legend stuff.
    maybe they just notice that Turbo was missing.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I really hope they give Craig Ackerman a chance to be the play by play guy when Peterson retires. I remember a couple of years ago when Peterson was gone for a few weeks and Ackerman filled in. He really made the games exciting and fun to listen to again.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I do too

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Gene Peterson is my favorite announcer, any sport, any medium. His calls just sound like the game.

Gene Peterson : Basketball :: Vin Scully : Baseball

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

We have been blessed in Houston with these tow and Milo for the Astros. I will be sad when they retire. I Foley talk the other day on one of the sports talk shows and man did he sound bad. I can tell he must be like 104 years old by now.

Maybe they can give Calvin a shot. His radio show is entertaining. It is a train wreck but entertaining.

9. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Ackerman can literally make the freaking COMETS sound fun and entertaining. It's quite odd actually - not too sure how he does that. Somehow, he can bring his A-game every night. I can't even make it through a week of work without wanting hard liquor and my 'Happy Final' comes on Friday's at 2AM in the morning!

If they hand the reigns to Ackerman and get a get a good complimentary color guy, the Rockets will be fortunate. Play by play guys who are good are actually more rare than people think. I've heard some BAD ones as I'm sure most of us have! Keep it in house, I say!

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they actually announced this at the end of last season. it is sad. Gene has the best voice of anyone in Houston Sports imo.

backin in backin in backin in