1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets legend to decline player option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

That Paul trade really worked out well for Tilman and the Rockets...... we were able to flip him and multiple picks for Westbrook and then flip Westbrook for a declining Wall and his longer and worse contract.

Know who WON'T be declining his player option? Johnny Wall.

2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Well the best part is that he hasnt actually declined it yet, it's just rumored that he will. So if his shoulder suddenly falls off the socket completely, he can easily just pick up the option and it's all good.

BallSoHarden and HP3 like this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Isn't CP3 injured?

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd argue he's actually been worth his contract if you consider his production and impact on winning. Look at what he did for Houston, look at what he did for OKC, look at what he's doing for the Suns.

WB is a net negative player, Wall is a net negative player, Paul is an elite player who has an elite impact on winning, he's always been a top 20 player.

#TeamCP3

BallSoHarden, Richie_Rich and YOLO like this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Man, even if he is... he's still in the playoffs and has his team positioned to close out the favored Lakers in the 1st round.

All this after taking it to us in the 1st round of last year's Thunder team that is now right behind us as being one of the worst in the league.

So much for value and it depreciating that "quickly" for CP.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Why didn't Chris Paul get in shape during his last year? The trade did suck for sure. Saddened to say I was in favor of the trade.

topfive likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not arguing for the Westbrook trade. I mean, I was one of the posters here NEVER supported the trade even when many CFers had wishful thinking that Westbrook just might help.

Just because the contracts of Westbrook and Wall were even worse doesn't mean CP3's was not very bad. If you want a good regular season, yeah, his contract might be worth it. But show me one playoffs run beyond the first round when CP3 did not get sidelined with injury at a critical moment. People talk about his hamstring injury in Game 5 2018 like it was a freak accident. But it was totally consistent with CP3's career. Every playoffs run for him is like a timed bomb waiting to go off.

I am rooting for him to beat the hell out of the Lakers. But I am not holding my breath for a fully healthy CP3.

TheFreak likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

the owner didn't get his way?

10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

CP tossing money into the garbage can. He could have felt right by donating some of that to the needy. Not gonna get a deal making that much in one season.

#30 Sanctity, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  11. DonatelloLimestone

"
    According to
    @espn_macmahon
    on the Chris Paul/Russell Westbrook trade; “That trade was made because Tilman Fertitta (Rockets Owner) wanted it made. He thought Chris Paul’s contract was the worst he’d ever seen in business or sports.”
    "

Espn Macmahon:

"That trade was made because Tilman Fertitta wanted it made -- he thought Chris Paul's contract was the worst that he'd ever seen in business or sports -- and because James Harden wanted it made.

I still believe, and I wrote this last summer before things went down. I still believe that if necessary they could have managed that situation; I know a lot of people throughout the organization believe that.

Daryl Morey was the biggest Chris Paul backer in the organization. Nobody -- Daryl or anybody else -- has ever told me that he made that trade with objections, that he made that trade despite not fully believing in it. But I just can't help but think that it was a deal where basically, his two bosses -- Fertitta and Harden -- said 'hey, we want this deal made, get it done.' And he did what he had to do to get it done."

[​IMG]

"
    My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.’

The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting."

-Owner, Steward of the Houston Rockets, Tilman M.F. Fertitta

12. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Dude is greedy ,that's a reason why rockets didn't win a chip his 2nd year here ,after the first year he demanded a max that caused the Rockets to lose players, the only reason Suns are were they are is because both ayton and book are heavily underpaid ,Ayton around 10 mill per yr,book around 27 mill ,Cp is around 38-40 mill, now he wants more money?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

LMAO years later and you still have clueless folks

BallSoHarden and Highlyrated like this.
  14. DonatelloLimestone

CP3 and his agent know the Suns have their back against the wall. Under Sarver they have prepetual let downs and now they have their bgest season in a long time. Booker is the best player, Chris Paul is the X-Factor though. After this year if he lets Cp3 walk it will let all the air out of the tires. They have his bird rights, cp3 knows the only reason not to resign him is to save the owner money, thats it so hes going to put fire on Sarver as he should bc it doesnt hurt the franchise's propsects, its just bird rights.

So he has all the leverage unless suns want to replace him with that guy whose playing good but mostly known for dancing with westbrook when he was with the thunder.

Also nyc or relaly now any team needing a culture change might give cp3 a big chance. We responded way too fast to his injured year. Genius move, Tilly....If Capela's agent was smart, he would've done the saem thing for his extension. We played hardball for a long time and Clint gave in and gave us a great contract to keep it moving, he could've held out like Varejao we would've had 0 replacements and just like we did with Jeff Bzdelik, we had no leverage if we played terribly with harden and tilman would have to pay. His agent did them a HUGE favor and that might've embolded tilman that he is a master negotiator and then preceeded to run off everyone else the next few years with his shut up and listen managing style

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's 36 & always hurt in the playoffs. Always. And the Lakers were in the play in tournament, I don't know how they'd be considered favorites over a 2nd seed.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Can't fix stupidity. Keep posting the same anti harden while ignoring that it was our btch cheap ass owner forcing Morey into a sht trade

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Because vegas said so. They went into the playoffs still #2 in odds behind the nets to win the ship. and #1 to come out of the west. The seed doesn't matter and doesn't actually set the odds when full context is what matters

mikol13 likes this.
  18. DonatelloLimestone

What are you rewriting history? He is going by his market rate. You do realize in the next tv deals the nba might get enough pre team where even salaries are covered just by tv rights. Its amazing how they make fans some how sympathetic to the billionaire owners who this is a massive appreciating assets tahts why theres a line to get into the nba ownership club. The same guys who will price you out the damn building when they get a chance.

The players are just taking their share. And no he didn't demand a max that caused us to lose players after his first year, he actually waivedt to get into player option so that we could trade for him otherwise we'd have no mechanism to even get him. He did that as a favor rather than taking a max from somewhere else, and guys like Cp3, harden, or which ever star are going to get a max somewhere.
    I don't know in what other business, wall street or anything else where the elite revenue generators are asked to take a paycut to make it easier for a billion dollar machine. Its an odd thing when players are traded or sent away, its a business and somehow peopel are trained to defend the bosses, but when a player is playing 'business' hes spoiled and taking advantage? I'd love employees like that so subservient and worshipping my moves as infallible, but it aint reality.

Book is heavily underpaid, because stars are heavily underpaid in nba economics. The entire thing is marketed and showcased on their backs and the amoutn of revenue they generate in sales, merchandise, attention is much more than anyone in the nba 'middle class' can bring. Ayton is on a rookie deal, so yea thats the other steal for owners. Cp3 is also a top market player, has adds, his own shoes, the whole deal. He generates a lot of profit too. Let alone their franchise would be stuck in prepetual mediocrity without him. Did you see the lowly thunder with adn without him?

#38 DonatelloLimestone, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Dopamine likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hopefully Tillfart learned his lesson. If he thought CP3's contract was the worst he had ever seen, wonder what he thought of Westbrick and now John Wall?

This loser DESERVES to have the worst team in the league, and DESERVES to lose his pick to OKC. It's just the results of bad decision making. Unfortunately, us fans suffer.

I'm gonna be rooting for Paul and the Suns to advance in order to rub it into Tillman even more. All that money but at the end of the day he knows that he screwed up his billion dollar investment

20. DonatelloLimestone

"According to
    @espn_macmahon
    on the Chris Paul/Russell Westbrook trade; “That trade was made because Tilman Fertitta (Rockets Owner) wanted it made. He thought Chris Paul’s contract was the worst he’d ever seen in business or sports.”
    "

Ok ok...fake news right?
    Fine here is Tilman own quote that he volunteered, as usual, to goto the press and talk about

"
    My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.’

The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting."

fckbandwagons, Deuce and D-rock like this.