1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets lack of success after timeouts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, Mar 18, 2015.

1. SeeingRocketRed

It seems like whenever McHale calls a timeout, afterwards there is very little offensive organization or successful plays. Can someone put together some stats so we can see the Rockets points per position after a timeout and compare that to the league average?

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I don't have the numbers to back it up, but from the eye test we've been better this year than in previous years

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I completely disagree with this. This is actually one of McHale's strong points vs our past coaches. He gets a lot of easy plays out of timeouts.

This just seems to be a fan complaint of every coach the Rockets have ever had.

Not true with McHale.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Now, if you're referring to the Rockets defense, they are abysmal after a timeout is called.

6. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if points after timeout is a good indicator. Should be counting the amount of open shots after timeout. Coach could have charted a great play and was executed well but the shot just did not go in. That should be counted as a good possession.

Defensively, it would be the same. You can play great defense but if they keep on hitting lucky shots, that should not be against you.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

LAST year, Rockets were 2nd BEST after timeouts (according to Daryl Morey's obscure figures)
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=257697

Don't know the stats for THIS year.

It shows that Rockets coaching/McHale/Offensive philosophy on timeouts isnt so inept as itd appear

8. bongman

bongman Member

Most likely, this is a product or either 2 things. Confirmation bias for those who doesn't like the coach or just natural human psychology. It is known that we use more brain power to process negative events than the positive ones so we tend to remember them more.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets go to play after a timeout. Dribble, dribble, dribble, pass along the perimeter until the shot clock runs out and then jack a 3

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

There is a reason why Morey only talked about our "offense" was 2nd best.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought their go to play after a timeout was a screen for Ariza or Brewer to get them an easy bucket cutting to the basket. It usually works.

12. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think the OP means the play immediately after a timeout.

I think he means the play in general after a timeout.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

gimme a break, too much analytics
    [​IMG]