1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets intrigued by thought of Jaden Ivey and Jalen Green backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, May 31, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

All of a sudden everybody wants Ivey.

hakeem94 and groovemachine like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

He deserves some criticism for ever signing Theis, but I agree that he moved on from him quickly.

On one hand Stone deserves credit for executing the moves, but on the other hand the Rockets under Morey already planned on signing Tate and bringing Weaver over and signing Wood as well. It isn't like these were something Stone came up with.

The Vipers have been off and on good for awhile. Having said that, Daryl Morey has even said that Stone has a good eye for talent and early on in his GM career he has done well. I would like a longer track record before I feel really secure, but he has done well so far.

The NETS picks look better than most people expected. However some of that has been luck, as there is no way Stone or anyone knew that Kyrie would miss essentially the whole season because of a COVID vaccination issue, or that Harden would mess up his hamstring or that the Nets supper shooter would get hurt and miss the whole season.

Having said that, the greatest team builder to ever exist (Red Auerbach) said that some guys are naturally lucky and deserve credit for it. So whether it is luck or not, Stone has the Rockets in a better spot than had they taken the Sixers package.

Nah, the Rockets could have gotten more for Allen and LeVert. That isn't a win for Stone but no one is perfect.

He did have a very good draft but it is too early to tell if it is a homerun. They were also looking at Mobley and Barnes at #2, and those guys have looked awesome as well. The pick of Christopher looks really promising though, and could be a steal.

Stone has had a combo of luck (imagine if the Rockets lost the #2 pick last year? What if Harden and Irving were healthy and playing?) and some shrewd moves (the 2021 draft).

He deserves to keep his job, but it is early in his tenure and it could still go either way.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm counting Chet, Banchero, and Smith as Big. Take one of those at 3. Just so I'm clear. 17 I don't care what we take, just hope for a role player.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He finished 16th in the league in the Executive of the Year award.... and there are around 30 teams.

That sounds about right, he finished in the middle..... he will have an opportunity to move up or down over the next few seasons.

BHannes2BHonest and jiggyfly like this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Picking 3rd and worrying about “balance” is hysterical, especially nearing an offseason when bigs like Turner/Gobert/Ayton/Bamba and more could all be had in free agency/trades

Paolo Banchero, notably bad defender, is not going to “balance” this team lmfao

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Fine.

7. vince

vince Member

Problem with KPJ is that he’s shown to be unstable and unreliable at times. He’s super duper talented, but a kind of a loose cannon.

If the Rockets took Ivey, I would not have a problem with it. Because, if Ivey checks out all the future all star criteria, Rockets would be fools to pass the most talented player for fit when they are needing to rely on a highly volatile KPJ.

If the Rockets pick Ivey, it’s because he’s the most talented and KPJ gives them the room for pause.

Good thing is that KPJ’s trade value has gone up since he first arrived, but he hasn’t totally overcome the doubt of his emotional unstableness, that saw him walk out on the Rockets during a game.

Yung-T, BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It would be foolish not to at least consider Ivey at 3, who wouldn’t want the most explosive backcourt in the Association? :cool:

9. MystikArkitect

I'm big on Banchero right now but the thought of KPJ and Wood off this team sets my heart a flutter.

Yung-T, htownrox1, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

Balance is key. Chet, Banchero, and Smith are big. That is key. Don't go Ivey. Balance. Olajuwon is always right.

htownrox1 likes this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

This would be my dream scenario
    We net Bari, Tari & Davion

Throw in Bamba as RFA S&T to send EGo to a contender

C: Sengun / Bamba
    PF: Bari / KJM
    SF: KPJ / Tari
    SG: Green / Josh
    PG: Davion / Nix

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

It is intriguing... but I still would much rather get one of the three bigs.

Ekiu likes this.
  13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Actually, now that you’ve said it a third time, I finally understand what you mean. S-Tier Genius Level Basketball Wizardry

14. Milos

Milos Member

Was just about to post both of these
    Also Rondo/Ray was way more about smarts and skills than athletic dominance

Yung-T and Ekiu like this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, considering we had the worst record in the NBA last season, I think Stone being in the middle of the pack is pretty damn good.

htownrox1, BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Typically you want at least one player in the backcourt capable of running an offense, not a 6'6 traditional SG and an inferior in every way 6'4 version of the same player.

red5rocket and Spooner like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

It is good, he hasn't been great over the last two seasons but he hasn't been bad either.... I think he has been competent with an opportunity to be better with more time.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm torn.

On one hand, getting rid of KPJ is a necessary step if this team ever wants to be a winner, but on the other hand, we need front court help.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ok that is my DREAM scenario. Seriously grand slam on that hypothetical

Milos likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on how the Rockets evaluate Ivey.

There are genuine questions marks for sure. Is Ivey going to improve as a playmaker? How much of it was the terrible spacing on his team? Will he put forth the effort to be a plus defender like he is capable of being.

The positive would be that both Green and Ivey together are capable of creating MASSIVE mismatches, very few teams are capable of guarding players with that type of speed and explosiveness and both are promising shooters and both can create well. The playoffs are all about creating mismatches and exploiting the other team.