1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Pau Gasol and Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 29, 2014.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Don't know if he signed here it would be as a backup. If (there are any legs to Saunders' Parsons - Love; probably a ploy to get Thompson to splash into Wolvesland) CP25 heads out then TA becomes an attractive (enough) replacement.

Of course if there would be anything to Parsons etc/Love (+ a bad contract?) then I would like to see the Lin exit with FA signings of Deng &/or Hawes &/or Mills (or Lowry).

But, Saunders wants the GSW deal (his way, of course) IMO.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Then why would the Rockets be interested in Ariza? We've been on that train before.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI, because Parsons will be (what used to be called) a Base Year Compensation player, it is highly doubtful that a Love trade involving a Parsons S&T could be pulled off without either Lin's or Asik's salary as part of the trade.

For instance, the Asik trade with New Orleans could be rolled into it as a three-team deal. However, there would then be no Asik trade exception to use in your example above.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take gasol and Lowry in heartbeat if lebron and melo don't work out. Pay gasol was asik was making and pay Lowry what Lin and who else we can dump makes.

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

What is this?? 2012?? :confused:

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes. Nene is right behind. ;)

7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Ariza is coming off a "contract year". I still remember the last time the Rockets signed him.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

It's ESPN. They basically just listed the teams that had cap space and were going to be active in free agency.

Personally, I would have 0 interest in Gasol. He is aging, his defense has declined pretty rapidly, and he was already in a frontcourt with Dwight that didn't work.

Ariza would be nice as a replacement if we traded Parsons for Love. I wonder if it would be a repeat of last time we got him, when he had a good season the season before, during his contract year, and then when we sign him for a couple year contract he doesn't show up as much?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not an Ariza fan, but that would be the one scenario where I can see it make sense, since he SF spot would open up.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He was also signed to be our number one/two option. If you are a smart fan, you should understand why the experiment failed. If he is coming is as a role player, which is what he would be here, he is an excellent pick up.

11. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I can see Gasol going to Knicks to play under Phil.

Ariza would be an awesome backup in case Parsons is gone.

But I can't see Ariza coming back due to his experience here last time

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The (reported) Lin scenario as a 3-teamer does work, yes?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I won't swear a belief that a Pau/Dwight reunion would be musical, I just will remind that The Pringles Fellow, along with #8, did not work to effect a positive outcome for that pairing in that LA season.

Love, hate or otherwise emote KMac, his cut as a coach is different from D'Antoni's.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't know what was "reported," but the following basic structure would work:

Houston gets Kevin Love
    Minnesota gets Chandler Parsons (S&T), other assets
    [Third Team With Cap Room] gets Jeremy Lin

It also works with Omer Asik going to New Orleans. In fact, IF Parsons agreed to a S&T to Minnesota (a huge "IF" in my book), I could see the following scenario:

Houston gets Kevin Love, Kevin Martin
    Minnesota gets Chandler Parsons (S&T), Terrence Jones, New Orleans "Asik" pick, other pick(s)
    New Orleans gets Omer Asik
    [Fourth Team With Cap Room] gets Jeremy Lin

Of course, other contracts/picks/assets would change hands.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For anyone that thinks Gasol and Howard won't work, they were winning at 55 game clip after the all-star break when Howard was healthy. Couldn't we do trade with Asik to get Gasol? Do a trade with Lin to get Lowry and use our MLE to get Ariza.

That would give us a squad of

Howard/Gasol/Dmo
    Gasol/Tjones/Dmo
    Parsons,Ariza
    Harden,Daniels
    Lowry, Beverley, Canaan

I would go to war with that squad.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People hated on him because the team tried to turn him into a star but he was a good starter and could be just a good as Parsons on this team. He would be the 2nd best defender on the team.m

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We rightly pointed out his incredibly streaky nature and endless silly game losing mistakes. His WS max has been 3 until last year. Except for last year has has made his team worse the 8 prior years than without him. He has been on 6 different teams in 9 years for a *reason.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2009 right after they won their ship.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets aren't going to sign either one to anything more than their MLE, which likely means they aren't getting either player. I doubt it's more than a courtesy call. They're not going to trade Lin and assets to open up capspace for either.

20. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

lol... gfto