1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Myles Turner trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 28, 2020.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Russell Westbrook + 19 first round picks for Myles Turner seems like a very fair deal for all parties in my unbiased opinion

PhilCollins likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Let's not get too excited here. Brewer was a very likeable dude who helped us win a miracle comeback, but he was closer to bum than star. Same goes for EG last year, except for that one game and a strong defensive effort in the playoffs.

treyk3, Rudyc281 and bulkatron like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I made my trade scenario in a different thread regarding Myles Turner, the gist of it was:

Houston Receives: Myles Turner
    Houston Trades: Eric Gordon, Danuel House

Washington Receives: Eric Gordon, Danuel House
    Washington Trades: Thomas Obryant, Ish Smith

Pacers Receive: Thomas Obryant, Ish Smith
    Pacers Trade: Myles Turner

I figured this would be a realistic trade to a team that was looking to bring back Oladipo and was going to have to pay up (and already paying Domantis, TJ Warren and Brogdon), figured Obryant gave them good back up 4/5 on a value contract and Ish Smith is an expiring contract that they can flip later on. With the Oladipo news today, I don't know if this would be a good trade anymore for the Pacers anymore.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

1 of flukiest 50 point games of all time...over the much larger sample size of this season, he was absolute garbage

What? Lol, no we didn’t. We gave up Troy Daniels and 2 protected 2 round picks in order to acquire him. We used a 1st round pick to get rid of Corey Brewer.

there was never a time where Corey Brewer was owed 54 mil the next 3 years as he declines

Having a negative, aging, injury prone, declining asset under team control for 4 years is a good thing now?

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Turner would be great. Has a lot of work to do on the offensive end but maybe Russ and Harden can make it easier for him.

raining threes and Dacamel like this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I thought he was 5th?

Either way, I would be happy with him as a Rocket. But for 18mill a season one can understand the frustration of the Indiana fans with his 6rpg?

raining threes, Dacamel and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Okay, you are right on the draft picks. Troy Daniels was essentially valued as a FRP at that time it was following the Blazers series where he looked incredible. I concede that and should have googled the deal as a refresher.

Team control is a good thing in the NBA. It always is. You know what you are getting. The Rockets knew the injury risk and Eric got injured. They ran the numbers and saw his value and thought it was a fair deal. This isn't the Rockets being forced into signing CP3 to a super max because of a trade or the Rockets trading for Russ already at a max deal. This isn't signing Ryan Anderson because the market was inflated. This isn't a contract for Asik because the poison pill would ensure him coming. The Rockets ran the numbers and gave Eric an extension. They gave him an extension when in reality he would have had a ton of value as an expiring at the deadline and instead he was untradeable. I'm glad in your infinite wisdom you understand a player's value more than a front office who just lost the second guy to another team.

saleem likes this.
  8. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I mean my understanding is it was advised by D’Antoni to go small. Not necessarily Morey’s idea.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Maybe but I know he lead the league in blocks one year for sure

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Neither wanted full small.

They played the hand they were dealt.

It was all about getting the best players on the court at a given time.

RoCo was valued as a superstar role player.

Clint was injured and not expected to return.

MDA wanted to keep his job or atleast go out swinging. Morey wanted Covington.

They both wanted to add a big who could switch and shoot the three.

It didn't come to fruition.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock, Nook and 2 others like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

MDA called him the team's best defender multiple times. If the media didn't hate Houston every fan base would be clamoring for Eric.

Eric was a superstar talent who was traded to a team as he was entering into his own. He dealt with injuries in New Orleans and reinvented himself here. He has one injured season and all of a sudden he's a bum.

He just averaged 17-3-3 in the playoffs even though he shot like a dog. He's an elite shooter who has the yips.

Get his ass to a sports psychologist and he'll be shooting 36% from three again in no time.

in his four seasons with Houston he shot pretty consistent from three until this year.

37%, 36%, 36% and 32% in an injury riddled season.

So he's an elite finisher at the rim, he can run a second unit, he's an elite defender. That is ALL in an injury riddled season. You get him shooting again and $16 Million + a year is a bargain. He's 6-4 with a nearly 6-10 wing span. He's an elite athlete who doesn't rely on pure athleticism.

#31 treyk3, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Troy Daniels was absolutely not valued as a FRP back then. Stop...

team control is not a good thing when u are paying big money to an aging player like EG...having a negative asset under team control is not a good thing...needing to give up assets just to get rid of a player is not a good thing...yeah, we know what we got with EG this season...36 missed games and mostly garbage play...and we know what we will be getting moving forward...an aging, declining player whose salary is increasing

only Rockets fans think EG and his extension is something valuable and a good thing to have

The Rockets ran the numbers and got burned. The market wasn’t inflated, so then we look even dumber giving EG so much money.

I’m glad in your infinite wisdom u think EG is some hot commodity. I pray all the other GMs think the same. I’d love to trade his ass for someone like Turner. Hopefully the Indy GM buys into all that “he’s a hometown kid, and he’ll score points here” reasoning.

treyk3 likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I understand your thinking and it's completely reasonable. I'm just working my ass off trying to speak this into existence.

James Harden lived in the same dorm hall in college. Every year I hoped we'd find a way to get him. It happened. Rockets got him.

T-Mac was my favorite player. Rockets got him.
    Barkley was my favorite player. Rockets got him.

I wanted RoCo for years. Rockets got him

I wanted Bruno back from the day he left. Rockets got him.

I'm just trying to speak this **** into existence.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have asked about Turner for two seasons now. I don’t think they would have interest in Gordon unless ownership bars a rebuild.

The Rockets tried to trade for Grant last year, offered a #1. I am sure the Rockets would love to get him for maximum length MLE but he will get more than that.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Would love to have Turner, so would a lot of other teams, that have more to offer. Rockets have no assets.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If the Rockets could get a big that could shoot the three, they would gladly do it. Length is better in that sense, but their philosophy is to have as many shooters and versatile defenders on the floor around Harden. With Westbrook in, Capela stuck out.

They could get away with a one dimensional big on offense if they didn't have Russ.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Myles Turner new starting center.

Doc Rivers new basketball operations head to become our Pat Riley.

Sam Cassell the protege head coach.

Let's just do it all.

18. macan

macan Member

so we going back to 1 big 4 small??
    man i wish Capela still with us..we ain't that bad when he was healthy.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Turner shoots the three.

Can't have a non shooting big clogging up the paint unless that non-shooting big is as skilled as Bam Adebayo (there is no other Bam in the NBA)

20. Nook

Nook Member

Turner has some flaws. His instincts on offense are mediocre and his offensive game has gotten stale in Indiana. He is a solid 3 point shooter when he gets open looks. He is not good at contested 3’s.

He still has a lot of untapped upside because he was stuck playing next to Sabonis and a 1990’s offense with McMillan.

He is one of the longest players in the league at 6’10” with a 7’4” wingspan. His rebounding would go up with the Rockets.

Rashmon, D-rock and raining threes like this.